• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Psychiatry Assessment

prmdc098

Hello all,

Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with the NHS Psychiatry assessment you get before surgery.

I am worried that the fact I suffer depression, anxiety and PTSD that this might mean they wont pass me for surgery mentally?

Thanks in advance.

Sunshine99

Hi @prmdc098 , I think everyone's experiance can be differant from hospital to hospital. I never had much of a Psychiatry assessment when i first got referred, about 20 months ago (though, i never went through with op in end back then, backed out near date) But i got re-referred about 2 months ago, And my consultant told me he's continuing with me on the old rules/criteria (as rules/criteria has since changed). I've got, depression, anxiety, (Asperger syndrome ,awaiting diagnosis) . I have a long history myself, of mental health issues, But they've deemed me fit for surgery twice in the past. (Although, i think if people are self-harming ...like cutting or have a strong dependancy on drugs or aclcohol....it harder to get accepted) ....hope that helps. :rainbow:

Sunshine99

@prmdc098 , unless you can prove, that you are improving your coping strategies...without harming, drinking, and drugs ect. They may not rule you out completley...if you show willing to stop.
I think what you have to bare in mind ...is that they come across loads of obese patients with 'mental health' issues. And the fact their probably weighing up the pro's and con's as to ...if this person had weightloss surgery...it may improve there quality of life....resulting in improved mental health issues. Or it may be that the mental health problems...have nothing to do with weight....in which case...it may be too dangerous mentally at that time for the individual to go ahead with surgery.
Hopefully you'll find someone who's been through the NHS Psychiatry, who'll be able to advise you a bit more than me.
Good Luck with your journey,
:rainbow:

starryeyed

Mine went completely fine and I suffer with anxiety and depression. I just showed that I had started to change my eating habits before surgery. They just want to know your bad habits like if you binge what causes it etc. It was actually quite relieving to be able to tell them everything. They ask about your past from a child, when you first noticed you were overweight. Family history if any family members suffered with obesity. Alcohol/drug use. To be prepared regarding alcohol so that we don't replace our food addiction etc with alcohol. Please make sure you be completely honest though - they are there to help you and you need to go forward with the surgery completely prepared. Nothing to worry about at all. If they deem you not fit at the moment then they just have another session with you a couple of months later. Wishing you lots of luck xx

Lynneslims

My psychiatric assessment was my last hoop before funding. I didn't get approved as I was fully functioning and coping well with being overweight as demonstrated by holding down a challenging job. I felt they didn't get my situation at all. They reassured me I'd get through the next panel - this was back in Feb and I've still not heard after 2 years in the system and being described as a model patient by the dietician who I saw monthly for one year. I have since gone private but haven't notified the NHS team.

I think each area has such different approaches its hard to generalise. I think they just don't want to spend the money in my area although they did say they had prioritised those who couldn't work. Who knows? I think it's pot luck in this area. My experience is having depression would have been a bonus despite being on anti anxiety tablets it just wasn't enough. I sound so miserable today - apologies just my experience wasn't good.

Hannah2

Our NHS psych assessment was a brief meeting where we had to fill in a mood type questionnaire that asked how we used food, coped with things, how we felt with certain situations. Then a discussion on what we had done to prepare for surgery, what we knew things would be like afterwards and how we would deal with situations where we would normally turn to food. Then I was cleared for surgery. Some people are then referred for more sessions to work through issues before being cleared for surgery. I guess it depends on how they assess you and whether they feel you need more sessions. People who have had surgery delayed to do the sessions though have said that it was worth it.

Sunshine99

My psychiatric assessment was my last hoop before funding. I didn't get approved as I was fully functioning and coping well with being overweight as demonstrated by holding down a challenging job. I felt they didn't get my situation at all. They reassured me I'd get through the next panel - this was back in Feb and I've still not heard after 2 years in the system and being described as a model patient by the dietician who I saw monthly for one year. I have since gone private but haven't notified the NHS team.

I think each area has such different approaches its hard to generalise. I think they just don't want to spend the money in my area although they did say they had prioritised those who couldn't work. Who knows? I think it's pot luck in this area. My experience is having depression would have been a bonus despite being on anti anxiety tablets it just wasn't enough. I sound so miserable today - apologies just my experience wasn't good.
Yeah, i kinda got that impression myself...that depression and anxiety actually may help you get the surgery. And as ive been unable to work for about 6 years...i guess your theory could be right. Which is so unfair really, as im sure there are loads of people like yourself struggling like hell. It all boils down to money your right. Sorry you never got the result you wanted from the NHS. Hopefully...you will succceed in the private route. Hope things work out for you. :rainbow:

Tracey

I broke down and sobbed when I was talking about my eating habits ...
I didn't realise until then how my weight affected me ...
Yes I knew I had a problem but I had always joked and laughed it off xx

Sunshine99

@Tracey , the first time i saw my consultant....and he refused to let me have a 'band' fitted (York hospital, don't fit many bands) , As he said i was too large....i also burst into tears...i was a mess.
I initially never really wanted the bypass, but now understand he's reasons for refusal of the band.
I'm more than happy to be 'bypassed' now. :).

Tracey

I never wanted the band sooooo many people have it then years later convert to sleeve or bypass ??!! So I said I'd have sleeve first my surgeon said they trying not to do too many bands now ..
I know a lot of banders say it's great for them but long time banders tend to revert to another surgery xxx

prmdc098

I cant believe you got refused because you have a job that's madness is it. So because someone can work they deserve to be overweight basically is what they are suggesting.

prmdc098

Hi @prmdc098 , I think everyone's experiance can be differant from hospital to hospital. I never had much of a Psychiatry assessment when i first got referred, about 20 months ago (though, i never went through with op in end back then, backed out near date) But i got re-referred about 2 months ago, And my consultant told me he's continuing with me on the old rules/criteria (as rules/criteria has since changed). I've got, depression, anxiety, (Asperger syndrome ,awaiting diagnosis) . I have a long history myself, of mental health issues, But they've deemed me fit for surgery twice in the past. (Although, i think if people are self-harming ...like cutting or have a strong dependancy on drugs or aclcohol....it harder to get accepted) ....hope that helps. :rainbow:

That really helps thanks, no ive no drug or drink dependency, did in the past though, I acutally feel worse now than I did then mentally haha, I better not tell them that though. No self harming either although some feel overeating is a form of self harming because we all know what health issues it brings.

prmdc098

Our NHS psych assessment was a brief meeting where we had to fill in a mood type questionnaire that asked how we used food, coped with things, how we felt with certain situations. Then a discussion on what we had done to prepare for surgery, what we knew things would be like afterwards and how we would deal with situations where we would normally turn to food. Then I was cleared for surgery. Some people are then referred for more sessions to work through issues before being cleared for surgery. I guess it depends on how they assess you and whether they feel you need more sessions. People who have had surgery delayed to do the sessions though have said that it was worth it.

I think I need to identify how I use food, because when I watch programs where people turn to food because of depression and such things I can never relate to them. I honestly feel I use food to survive. I do defiantly eat to much when I do eat but I'm not someone to cry into a tub of ice cream and such. They probably wont believe me.

nafpnd

When I went to my GP balling my eyes out about my cravings, she referred me for surgery and to psych at the same time. Psych said they only treat depression and although I was depressed about being overweight I was not 'suffering from depression' so I was referred to eating disorders who only deal with anorexia/bulimia/binge eating and said they could not help. They said the cravings could be a sign of comfort eating from which millions of people in the UK suffer and with which the NHS could not cope so I was discharged but luckily, it did not seem affect the decision for surgery.

Hannah2

Yeah that reminds me - years ago I went to my old GP and asked to be referred for help but was told if I was sticking my fingers down my throat she could refer me but until I did that there was nothing she could do.

I actually went home and tried to do it, I was that desperate for help! Luckily I couldn't and didn't want to, but then I actually felt like a failure for not being able to! Vicious circle!!!

Sunshine99

Yeah that reminds me - years ago I went to my old GP and asked to be referred for help but was told if I was sticking my fingers down my throat she could refer me but until I did that there was nothing she could do.

I actually went home and tried to do it, I was that desperate for help! Luckily I couldn't and didn't want to, but then I actually felt like a failure for not being able to! Vicious circle!!!
Yep, been their... Like @Hannah2 and @nafpnd
I did eventually get a diagnosis for 'binge' eating disorder in 2007. It was the Clinical Psychologist that diagnosed me, whilst i went to see her regarding depression & anxiety. And...then invited me back for a further 10 session for help on the eating disorder. (I was extreamly lucky). But even my Psyc, who had connections with other support networks around my area...struggled to get me ongoing support from other 'Eating Disorder' organisations. Because even though i can eat past the feeling of sickness ...making me 'feel drunk on food' feeling very sleepy and nauseated.....I'm not sick (well very rare anyhow).
The only one that may have been able to offer any help (my own research) is BEAT, but the nearest meetings for me is in Hull, for me thats too far! And with no guarantee or any help once i get there. Her off Emmerdale who was Sam Dingles girlfriend...had a longterm eating disorder, And she is connected to BEAT somewhere along the line.
But its so flustraring :mad:, why eating disorder organisations, don't take 'binge' eating disorder seriously. Its just as dangerous as the others.
I do think binge eating is less severe than anorexia though, But...binge eating is still an 'eating disorder' and shoud be treated with the same empathy, and needs, that other eating disorders get. (Once ive sorted my own issues out, may take ages! But I'd love to work in Mental Health...with specifically focusing on binge eating...even though 'all' eating disorders interest me). ....Well ex alcoholics/and ex drug users....have been known to help current users in certain organisations.
Hopefully things will change in time!
And, more people will recieve the the support they deserve!
Toni x x

SAM55

Hello all,

Just wondering what everyone's experience has been with the NHS Psychiatry assessment you get before surgery.

I am worried that the fact I suffer depression, anxiety and PTSD that this might mean they wont pass me for surgery mentally?

Thanks in advance.
Hi I saw NHS Psychiatrist twice last year and also suffer depression, anxiety and PTSD. I was passed, but they were pretty thorough in checking out my self awareness and what psychological help I had been receiving around why my weight was as it was, and flagging up the issues that might arise afterwards. I guess it is down to how well we manage them that guides their decision. I am still waiting for op though because of long waiting list, so cannot tell you what it is like on the other side.