• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NHS Tummy Tuck in Norfolk

PoppyPoo

Inky Minx
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and wonder if anyone can help me with my queries regarding NHS plastic surgery after weight loss.

Let me start by telling you a bit about myself and my situation...

I had my first baby at the age of 23 in 1998. I suffered a glucose intolerance and after I had given birth I was a wopping 15 stone (at 5 ft 3"). I had always fluctuated between 9.5 and 10 stone before childbirth.

I had a c-section and was left with an overhang which worsened with every pound of weight loss. I got back down to my pre-partum weight within 2 years and my breasts also took the toll by dropping from a massive F cup to the usual C cup, worsened more by 2 years of breastfeeding. I have to wear a D cup bra to support the excess skin. If I wear my normal cup size, the skin hangs over.

I had my second child 5 years later (another c-section) which has obviously made matters worse. I have had 2 babies that weighed 9 pounds by c-section.

The situation has depressed me severely and it wasn't until my friend in her 60s showed me her lovely stomach that I decided to show my mum my overhang and her shocked reaction pushed me to research the possibility of getting plastic surgery done on the NHS.

Even my mum who is petite like me and has had 4 big babies that she has breastfed has a more normal stomach and boobs than me. I really do feel like a 90 year old from the neck down, yet when I go out (obviously fully clothed) most people think I'm 10 years younger because I have a young face. I feel like my body doesn't match my face. It makes me feel like a freak of nature.

Earlier this year I finally found myself on google looking for information about the possibility of post-weight loss plastic surgery on the NHS and I found this forum. I was encouraged by posts made by Bambi who had just had a tummy tuck on the NHS in my own county so despite my embarrassment I went to my GP and showed her my stomach. I told her about my boobs as well but she didn't ask to see them and seemed to be more interested in my tummy. She did however write to an NHS plastic surgery clinic who then sent her a questionnaire for me. After answering my GP said I met the criteria for a tummy tuck and the next step would be to wait for a decision from the PCT.

Well this morning I have received a letter from the NHS clinic offering me a consultation with a member of the plastic surgery clinic team. I was overjoyed - especially because for the past few months I've been fantasising about how great it will be to get rid of the loose skin that is making my life such a misery. Which has then led me to think about how much more depressed I will become should they refuse to do it.

However, I am now wondering if I should be getting my hopes up so high because nobody has said I can definitely have it done yet.

Does anybody know what the procedure is? Does this letter mean that the PCT has said yes or do I now need to convince someone else who will report back to the PCT who will then decide?

Also, I want to ask the consultant about my boobs, even though my GP only seems to have referred me for a tummy tuck. But could this ruin my chances of getting my tummy tuck? Could they think I'm going over-the-top and asking for too much?

My boobs are so stretched I can literally roll them up. I don't care if they end up being a smaller cup size - I'd be happy with an A or B cup as long as my nipples are back in the right place and my boobs don't make my body look like that of a 90 year old.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this. I know it's a little long-winded but hopefully some of you can give me advice. I'd be especially interested to hear from Bambi in particular or anyone that has been through the procedure on the NHS in any county.

Many Thanks
PoppyPoo
Xx

Hiya

I had a tummy tuck on the NHS in Norfolk last year

Mail me with any questions.

Thanks

Mike

Thanks so much Mike. =)

I am being denied access to the page with your contact details though. Could you try and message me so I can reply directly?

Thanks again.
x

It's ok Mike. Have found an email address on your external site and have sent a message to that.

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:Hi Poppypoo,
I'd just like to welcome you,I'm having full TT with MR in a couple of weeks with funding from the NHS, each pct is different depending on where you live. I would take a look on your local pct rules and information online for your area, I have had 3 caesarian sections and the fold of skin keeps getting severly infected and I have to take very strong antibiotics, I had a bit of a fight at first with the pct but I got funding in the end.
If you need any help please feel free to ask or pm me.
Take care
Trinaxxxxxxxx

Thanks so much Trina. I'll go and have a look shortly. It was hearing that a couple of members here got funding from the Norfolk PCT that gave me the courage to go to my GP.

Since I've been offered a consultation with a member of the NHS plastic surgery team at my local clinic, it feels like I've taken a step forward but I'm just so worried that the PCT will say no.

I'm prepared to put up a fight though. I've suffered a couple of infections (not as bad as yours by the sound of it) but it's more about the depression for me.

Good luck with your TT. I can only but begin to imagine how happy you must feel about the prospect of getting rid of that unwanted skin. Keep us posted. Are you going to share before and after pics?

Xxx

Thanks Trina. :)

I'll be sure to update the thread with the outcome and if they give me the go-ahead I'll add some before and after pics too.

Have tried to view your album but it seems to be password protected.

All the best,
PoppyPoo
xxx

Hi trina hun, just had a look at your photos, gosh that scar looks so sore....bet you cannot wait to get rid of it.....not long to go now yeshaw soon be history.....thinking of you my friend....((((hugs)))) Linda xx

Hi Linda,
Thank you so much, I thought that I'd put my face on too, hope I didn't frighten you too much lol.
Your time will be soon yahooooooo
Take care my good friend
Trina xxxxx

Its good to see what you look like I am not brave enough to put my ugly mug on yet but may do one day lol.......Linda xx

Hi Linda,

Thanks but I bet you haven't got a ugly mug so there:patback::patback:.I bet your beautiful with a kind face,
:grouphugg::grouphugg:
Take care
Trina xxxxxx

Thanks Trina. :) I missed the pw in your other post
:s

Thanks so much for sharing hun and I can't wait to see the results. I have my consultation with the plastic surgeon on October 1st. Fingers crossed he'll fight my corner! Will keep you posted.

Will also give you a thought on your big day and hope for a speedy recovery for you. Just really hope it's my turn next. :) Xx

Hi Poppy

Thank you so much, I will put up post op pickies and it will soon be your turn. did you get my pw? it's 9thsept2008

Take care
Trina xxx

Awww thanks for the vote of confidence Trina! I did get your password and had a look, and actually your pics have given me a glimmer of hope that I'll get the go-ahead as your tummy looks quite similar to mine. I know all PCTs are different but fingers crossed anyway.

I really can't thank you enough for sharing. It also helps to know I'm not the only one going through this.

I'm also glad I found this forum because although my BMI is 'healthy' I am right at the top end of it and have been for years. I'm always ready to tipple over from 'healthy weight' to 'overweight' if I gain a couple of pounds (which I always do at Xmas, etc) so I'm now preparing to start CD on Step 2 so I can shake that last stubborn stone. I am aiming to do it within this month leading up to the consultation so wish me luck. =)

Love and Hugs
PoppyPoo <3
Xxx

Hi Poppypoo
Your very welcome, my bmi is 29 so according to the world registration thingy mijig that the world health org use, i within my range bu I have tried for the last 1yr to lose that last stone but I have tried and tried but never have so I'm putting it down to all the lose skin etc (here's hoping) lol:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:.
I wish you all the luck and remember like me the PCT refuse 95% of all cases first time and I appealed and won, so always appeal if he answers not what your looking for, but I'm here if you need me.:bliss::bliss::bliss:
Take care
Trina xxx

I'll defo keep that in mind Trina, thank you.

Yes, I'll bet that excess skin weighs a significant amount. I reckon mine is around half a stone but don't know. I'll be interested to hear how many pounds you lose between pre and post op.

I've started CD today. I'm so keen to be at what I consider my ideal weight before my consultation. I've wanted to shake it off for a while now but needed a good incentive just like this. I need to be able to tell the surgeon I do not intend to lose any more weight after the op. I know I've been within my healthy BMI for 8yrs but it's just my own personal preference to get to what I consider my ideal weight beforehand.

It's getting so close for you now Trina, I'm ever so excited for you and can't wait to see your post op pics! :)

Xxx

Gosh Trina! Only 3 more days to go! Are you excited? Will be thinking of you hun. The CD is going well btw. I'm on day 4 and have shed 7 lbs. Woohoo! Xx

Back