• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

NICE Guideline info required pls

charliegirl

Can anyone help me with some advice please. When it says your PCT follows NICE guidelines for gastric banding are those guidelines for all areas of the country that are governed by them? In other words Central Lancashire PCT criteria for gastric banding follows NICE guidelines. NICE guidelines state BMI of 35+ with related illness diabetes, hypertension etc does that mean Lancashire and every other area have the same guidelines? Sorry if this is a bit confusing but it is very important in my fight to get funding....

Not sure about other places but they follow those NICE guidelines in Norfolk for both banding and bypass - BMI 35+ with co-morbidities or BMI 40+. However, when I first went to my GP about surgery with a BMI of 41, I was told that they still were unlikely to consider me as I was not big enough......(I am going private to save all the hassle, but I am fortunate enough to be able to afford it!)

Charligirl...I think everywhere follows the nice guidelines as regards elegibility for surgery...the difference comes at what point the individual pct`s allocate funding for the surgery.

ie you have to meet the 35+ criteria everywhere but some pct`s state they won`t fund unless bmi is over 50 etc

hope this helps ;)

Hey Charliegirl, not all of the PCTs are covered on the BOSPA list, so maybe yours aren't on there. You need to know which PCT you are under exactly, as neighbouring ones can be very different even within counties.

HTH :)

Shel

Hi to everyone that anwered, checked the BOSPA list and for central Lancashire it states NICE guidelines, so does that mena 35+ with co morbidity and 40 without? or can it still differ and if so where would it say? still fighting the fight and not going to stop until I have exhausted all avenues...it said on local radio that obesity takes a fair chunk of the NHS budget each year!

yes thats 35+ with co, 40 without. I think the NICE guidelines are on the BOSPA site too somewhere?

Don't give up :)

yes thats 35+ with co, 40 without. I think the NICE guidelines are on the BOSPA site too somewhere?

Don't give up :)

Thanks shellbell I wont, I will keep everyone posted....there more I concentrate on my fight for treatment for anything that will help me lose weight the less I think about food.....positive mind does help but I know sometime my roller coaster will go into a dip....I will hang on tight and wait for the up rise xx

atleast you know you've got somewhere to come if there is a dip, you'll always find someone here to cheer you up!

A friend has just recommended I try lipotrim so I have been reading up on it but it scares me to death, there is a really good link on the forum where someone outlines the pros and cons and one of the side affects can be depression, life is tough enough as it is and my job is very very stressful I dont think I could do that to myself and further more £36 per week for the supplies would financially cripple me, if I could afford that I could afford a bank loan for banding....and I dont think I would keep any weight off.... xx

I've never tried LT, but I've done Lighter Life and Cambridge which work on the same principle. Personally I found them very difficult, and got so weak on Cambridge I passed out. BUT I have a lot of health problems which I think is why it wasn't for me. I know people who have had success with that kind of diet, but it's hard work!

The cost is supposed to be offset by the fact that you're not buying food whilst you're on it.

If I dont eat little and often my sugar level drops and I get a headache and as I am prone to migraines I would hate to risk it, not making excuses just dont think I would be able to maintain it. When I have to work a full night shift as well I need to have a good breakfast ie boiled eggs and toast in order to help me sleep a good 6 hours before up and at it again. Its hard coping with the shifts and the medications I take for other things so I will give it a miss I think. xx

Have you tried a GI style plan? They are designed to maintain your blood sugar levels and might work for you, atleast to maintain your weight whilst you try for the bypass.

Have you tried a GI style plan? They are designed to maintain your blood sugar levels and might work for you, atleast to maintain your weight whilst you try for the bypass.

Yep tried this one also, I have tried a lot although not them all by any means its so hard really, I have even thought about starting smoking as it is suppose to curbyour appetite but I really dont want to go down that route. xx

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Not the way to go hun, when I used to smoke it never curbed my appetite one bit lol xx

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Not the way to go hun, when I used to smoke it never curbed my appetite one bit lol xx

Ok ok lol........I wont I cant stand it to be honest, but I just want people to know how desperate I get.....Its one of my two weekends off out of 5 and I have not left the house bar to go shopping because nothing fits comfortably I can wer my PJ's in the house, everything is uncomfortable, shoes, underwear, tops and trousers and when its hot well I am sure I dont need to tell you how it feels. I know in my heart of hearts that I will find a resolution now I have set my mind to it, one way or another from being on this forum and reading peoples stories it has given me the will to fight for what I want..... xx

with that attitude you'll get there, the hurdles are worth jumping over however annoyingly high they may seem at the time.

Helloooo,
oh my days I smoke & am not thin lol, please don't start it will only end up adding to your health problems & then you will be worried about more things.
I can sympathise with the nightwear as I am in mine 99% of the time I am SO uncomfortable in clothes even maternity wear (- I'm not pregnant my stomach is huge) & very rarely can bring myself to even go downstairs :(
try keep your chin up hun :)
Love n hugs
Vicky
xxx

Ah thanks vicky, it seems PJ's are the way forward lol....I have to get ready for work soon and it takes ages to decide on what to wear, will it be comfortable, will it be cool, will it look nice, will I feel confident walking into a room a woman almost all neatly turned out.....but you know I have a goal and noone it going to take that away from me......enjoy your day.... Linda x

Back