• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

No loss again this week. Body stats look better though.

Mixman

I've not lost anything this week. Although not a surprise as it's been my week of nights so my body get's thrown all over the place. I had actually put 5lb on by Friday but then worked it back off over the weekend.

I'm not particularly annoyed by it although I'm not over the moon either.

16st 9lb, 15st 1lb lost
233lb, 211lb lost

Could it be that you're building even more muscle with all the cycling and exercise you're getting? I should imagine you have to eat more than most to keep your body healthy. You're doing so fantastically well, so don't worry about not losing anything this week xx

I was told last week by the dietician that if I didn't start upping my carbs that I wouldn't be able to do the exercise that I do. So I have started eating a little more carb based food as well as having an extra protein shake a day.

You're right about the muscles though. I can't believe how hard my thighs are with the amount of muscle there plus my arms and hands are really nice now.

With the 40 mile charity ride Saturday and 11 miles yesterday to stretch my legs a little I have now clocked over 1000 miles on the bike so far this year.

Thank you for the kind words though xx

Your dietician is right, which sounds rather odd considering we're told to steer clear of carbs post-op. With all the exercise you're doing your body will start to use muscle mass for energy if it can't get it from carbs/fat and that's the last thing you need.

Have you tried one of those body analysers that measure your body fat and muscle mass? I think that's the most important thing for you to focus on now rather than what you weigh. I've bought a set of scales from Amazon which do just this and they're fantastic, and almost half price at mo... Salter 9106 Glass Body Analyser Scale Black: Amazon.co.uk: Health & Beauty

You've probably heard all this from your dietician already so apologies if it sounds as though I'm lecturing you... I'm just sharing my knowledge & experience in this area as my son is a footballer & coach/PT. I help him work out his diets to ensure he stays fit & healthy as he plays sport & works out in the gym every day, so is constantly active.

Congrats on the charity cycle, fantastic achievement!! :happy096:

Hey, those readings aren't too bad at all! :D

I don't know how old you are so guessing late 20's (hope I'm not too far out!) so basing the calculations on this... your muscle mass is spot on, should be around 50% and you want to be aiming for 10-20% body fat, so a bit more work to do on that. Body water is on the low side so you need to increase your fluid intake... should be around 60%.

Did you know a pound of body fat is about 18 times the volume of a pound of lean muscle, even though they weigh the same! And also, the more muscle mass you have the faster you burn off the calories, and thus body fat ;)

You're doing so well Mixxy and such an inspiration to us all :cool:

Good idea to keep an eye on the fat/muscle/water percentages Mixxy. I posted recently about how shocked I was by my body fat when the lady at the gym I joined recently told me it was 49% (normal for a female of my age is between 21 and 32% !)

Anyway, I have a list of the parameters we are meant to be in. Not sure how old you are;

Body Fat
Female(age20-39) Low=<21%, Normal=21-32%, High=33-38%
Female(age40-59) Low=<23%, Normal=23-33%, High=34-39%
Male(age20-39) Low=<8%, Normal=8-19%, High=20-25%
Male(age40-59) Low=<11%, Normal11-21%, High=22-28%

Skeletal Muscle
Female Average approx 28%
Male Average approx 37%

I see Twiggy beat me to this info but my figs seem different to hers. I don't profess to be an expert on this at all so if Twiggy's son is a PT then I would be more inclined to go by her figures than mine.

I'll leave mine up there anyway, and for everyone's info, I took them from the leaflet provided by my gym which is LA Fitness. Their leaflet states that they have taken their figures from OMRON healthcare figures, but I haven't a clue who or what OMRON are!

Your figures aren't that much different Sam. Body fat is more or less the same, just the muscle mass which is quite a bit lower but I expect your reading is for an average male, whereas mine is for an athletic person doing lots of exercise and/or working out in the gym regularly :)

Yes you're right Twiggie. For some reason, whilst my leaflet goes into detail for the body fat depending on age etc, the skeletal muscle figure is just quoted as an average.

No loss for the 2nd week running but I have just worked 3 night shifts which generally throws my body rhythm out. Although scales body analyser said a different storey,
Fat 33.2% (Last week 36.6%) This is good!
Water 45.3% (Last week 42%) Bit of water retention perhaps
Muscle 54.3% (Last week 51.3%) This is good too.

Well done Mixxy! It's good to see that you are looking at other numbers, rather than getting hung up on just weight loss. Keep at it xx

You're doing fantastic Mixxy, keep up the good work! :D

Oh, just one little thing... the water is still a bit on the low side, should be a minimum 60%, so increase your fluid intake young man! :p

You're doing fantastic Mixxy, keep up the good work! :D

Oh, just one little thing... the water is still a bit on the low side, should be a minimum 60%, so increase your fluid intake young man! :p

Yes boss :D

I was drinking coffee all last night so no idea why it's low. Just about to go out on the bike so will be drinking plenty then!

Yes boss :D

I was drinking coffee all last night so no idea why it's low. Just about to go out on the bike so will be drinking plenty then!

Maybe because coffee is a diuretic and will dehydrate you ;)

Good luck on your bike ride, can't wait to get back on mine :D

Back