• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Panic! Pre op in 2 days time!

Securityguy

Hi All,

I am having a bit of a panic, I have my pre op assessment on the 23rd December (2 days time!) I've been waiting over 2 years to get this far but I am worried about the final hurdle. I have seen the psychiatrist and all went ok, but I have put on weight since that appointment 3 months ago (about 8lb) and now I'm petrified i could be refused surgery. I only have to look at foods that I like and the weight piles on, and my weight has yo-yo'd for years. Has anyone else experienced weight gain at the time of the pre op assessment? What happened?. Also can I ask do you get an op date at the pre op assessment or does it come by other means?
I am having my pre op at the loxwood centre.

Thanks, and merry Christmas!

Good morning
First of all take a step back and breath .. this is a scary thing and all of our life , most of us have been waiting for this kind of help .. you've been offered something amazing , something that will hopefully change your life forever in a good way ..
can you let us have a little more info please .. like , what type of surgery , how much you weigh at the beginning , middle etc , how much you would like to lose , any co morbidities etc ..
I can guarantee that all members on here have walked your same path in some way or another .. It's all a head game , the food being the enemy .. it's always going to be the enemy and you will have to fight it every day , that doesn't tend to go away , it does get easier though ..
you cannot go into this half hearted , it has to be all or nothing .. You have to leave your old eating habits behind now and move forward for this to work .. Believe me I was the biggest carb holic you've ever met , and now 8 months later I hardly touch them , but omg I want to !
I'm sure 8lbs won't be a problem but you need to knuckle down now ...
Lots of luck and ask anything , someone always knows the answer
Xxxxx

Hi All,

I am having a bit of a panic, I have my pre op assessment on the 23rd December (2 days time!) I've been waiting over 2 years to get this far but I am worried about the final hurdle. I have seen the psychiatrist and all went ok, but I have put on weight since that appointment 3 months ago (about 8lb) and now I'm petrified i could be refused surgery. I only have to look at foods that I like and the weight piles on, and my weight has yo-yo'd for years. Has anyone else experienced weight gain at the time of the pre op assessment? What happened?. Also can I ask do you get an op date at the pre op assessment or does it come by other means?
I am having my pre op at the loxwood centre.

Thanks, and merry Christmas!
I put on half a stone towards the end and it wasn't a problem. I also had two pre-op assessments - one when I was put on the waiting list in March and another a few days before surgery as it was past the 20 weeks shelf life. This was NHS. I have not heard of the Loxwood centre - so don' t know if this is NHS or private so can't answer your question about when you get your surgery date. Pre-ops are done by nurses and surgery dates by the waiting list clerk in the NHS

Hi guys, thanks for your replies, this is something I not only want for myself, it's for my wife and children too. I want to be an example to them and will work my hardest to make sure I get the results I'm after. I recently changed jobs to be more active and often walk 20-30,000 steps a night. I am currently approx 23st. I have given up smoking and drinking already on my journey which I'm very proud of and I have gone from 4-5 asthma inhalers a month to just 2 but I still find it hard and tiring to just climb stairs and get dressed in the mornings. I work night shifts and have done the last 20 years which have also taken its toll on my health. I'd love to get to 16st (my target) but anything more would be a bonus. The loxwood centre is both NHS and private I believe and should find out about funding tomorrow. I'm so nervous, but excited too at the same time. I will keep you posted on tomorrow's outcome. And thanks again

Hi Sam55, I believe loxwood is both NHS and private but I'm not entirely sure. I am trying to get funding to go through NHS as I couldn't afford it myself. Big day tomorrow and the nervs are kicking in. Thanks for your reply. :)

Hi Sam55, I believe loxwood is both NHS and private but I'm not entirely sure. I am trying to get funding to go through NHS as I couldn't afford it myself. Big day tomorrow and the nervs are kicking in. Thanks for your reply. :)
Good luck tomorrow and look forward to hearing how you got on.

Hi guys, I may have misunderstood slightly. Today is not my pre op, it is my MTD appointment which I thought was the pre op. All going well so far, I've seen the physician, nurse, anaesthetist, and just waiting now to see dietitian and the consultant this afternoon. The nurse has said that surgery is about 3-6 months from today which has broken my heart a bit because I've been 2 years waiting and thought this was the big day to start the diet etc. Nevermind, I've got this far so just have to keep pushing myself. I must say though I am disappointed at a few of the people in the group who turned up with fizzy drinks and sweets and are smoking like chimneys! I gave up after my first appointment 2 years ago and I have worked hard and followed all the rules and advice given on my journey and can't believe how many people think that they can walk into surgery and not work hard for it just because they think it's an easy option. It's made me quite angry.

Hi guys, I may have misunderstood slightly. Today is not my pre op, it is my MTD appointment which I thought was the pre op. All going well so far, I've seen the physician, nurse, anaesthetist, and just waiting now to see dietitian and the consultant this afternoon. The nurse has said that surgery is about 3-6 months from today which has broken my heart a bit because I've been 2 years waiting and thought this was the big day to start the diet etc. Nevermind, I've got this far so just have to keep pushing myself. I must say though I am disappointed at a few of the people in the group who turned up with fizzy drinks and sweets and are smoking like chimneys! I gave up after my first appointment 2 years ago and I have worked hard and followed all the rules and advice given on my journey and can't believe how many people think that they can walk into surgery and not work hard for it just because they think it's an easy option. It's made me quite angry.
They are not there yet! Well done on your diligence in being keen to make a better life for yourself and getting your head in the right place for the journey on the other side. You will reap the benefits. I know how disappointing it can be to find you are having to wait longer than you thought you would. It would be a lot better if they explained the different procedures and processes better so you were able to put some timescales around it, but at least you are now on the waiting list, which is an achievement in itself. I needed 3 months at least from waiting list to organise my future eating habits on LRD and post-op.

Back