• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE surgery go ahead

von

I've just got back from my appointment at the Nuffield Leeds and am very relieved as the surgeon has agreed that I can have the POSE procedure. :D

I'm a little bit disappointed that I have to wait until April though, as I have just missed the Feb date and couldn't manage the March dates they were offering but hey ho, I've been overweight for such a long time, a couple of months shouldn't matter (gives me longer to save up as well).

The good thing is there is no pre-op diet, although I'm already trying to make healthy choices anyway as my BMI is slightly higher than the ideal for POSE which is really for people with a BMI up to 40. The post op diet is very much the same as for Lap bands, so I shall have to invest in a liquidiser!!

The surgeon did stress that as this is a relatively new procedure, there are no guarantees of how much weight loss would finally be achieved (apparently there have been only 250 done worlwide so far and only a handful in this country) but in theory it should be very similar to those of the Band. I think he would have recommended the band if I had wanted one but seemed happy with the reasons I wasn't so keen to go down that route.

Anyway, I'm excited and nervous at the same time but I guess that's the norm.

Von

Thats fantastic news :D As far as I know you are going to be our first member having this proceedure so it will be great to follow you on your journey.....Good Luck XX

Hello

what is this procedure as I never heard of it ...Tyvm in advance xxx

Hi Blue Diamond,

It's an incisionless procedure called Primary Obesity Surgery, Endolumenal (POSE) which allows surgeons to decrease the size of the patient’s stomach without making any incisions to the outside of the body.

The procedure is performed using an Incisionless Operating Platform (IOP) and a flexible endoscope which is inserted through the mouth (under a General, thank goodness). They then used the IOP tools to grasp the stomach tissue and fix suture anchors to create multiple tissue folds in the stomach wall to reduce its size by about a third.

In theory it is a safer procedure than others on offer as there are no incisions therefore no infection and once in place needs no further modifications like "fills or defills".

It should last a lifetime but no one is sure of this yet, also it is possible that the stomach could still stretch over time and like any wls can be overidden by a poor diet.

That's it in a sort of nutshell which I hope makes some sense.

Von

Glad you have it all sorted. I too have my date in April, right at the end and it's only 12 weeks away so it will soon fly by for us.

The Pose sounds great and hopefully they will be able to offer this on nhs eventually.

Good luck with your journey, and as Jacqui said, it will be interesting to follow it.

von, how much is the procedure costing you, and does it involve staying overnight or home theday of the op..thanks

Hi Stillbig,

I was quoted £6800 when I first enquired but am awaiting an up to date price along with a definite date, hopefully next week. At the moment, it's an overnight stay but the idea is that in time, this will become an outpatient procedure.

Hope this helps,

Von

thanks von, i will find out tomorrow if i can get done on the 5th march, but its £7900 and being done with possible no overnight stay..why so expensive? anyway plz keep me posted cos if i can save £1000 by going elsewhere i will...x

Back