• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

POSE vs Band

magicbeans

no longer obese!!
Hi guys....mental me again!

OL so been looking at POSE as well but theres barely any info on it and the 2 places i rang couldnt tell me how much i could expect to lose...they say they only done this in the States so far....one was saying band is gonna be outdated soon because of POSE.

But what worries me about POSE is that u are altering a great deal about ur stomach and reducing stomach size by 15-20% whereas with a band its a lot more restricted...

however on the other side u hear that banders do struggle...can i ask why they do? surely if ur stomach is ickle u cant gain weight...

with POSE u dont go back for adjustments and nothing erodes....whereas with band u have to get the right restriction for u...so more trips back and forth.

sorry for all the threads lately!!

Sorry cant help with this one as I know nothing about it , but I am very interested to find out, even though I have had the bypass

You will struggle to get much info on the POSE procedure because its fairly new. To be honest I dont know that much about it either.

To answer your other questions:

however on the other side u hear that banders do struggle...can i ask why they do? surely if ur stomach is ickle u cant gain weight...

You do hear this yes, often from people without bands. Serioulsy though if you follow the guidelines and have good restriction you can't fail to lose weight. The problems occur when either one of these isnt the case.

with POSE u dont go back for adjustments and nothing erodes....whereas with band u have to get the right restriction for u...so more trips back and forth.

With POSE and every other procedure there will be aftercare ie trips back and forth to visit your team. Band fills are usually done as part of the routine follow ups. I have had 5 fills from probably 10 follow up visits so not really an issue.

Bands very rarely erode, its certainly not a for- gone conlusion that if you have one it will!

As I said I dont know much about the POSE procedure but Im sure there is the potential for it to have 'issues'.

Ask away, thats what we are here for x

From what I've read of POSE the estimated weight loss is only 30-50%. there is a thread in the introduce yourself section where about 5-6 pre and post op POSErs are discussing the surgery, worth a read.

With any surgery there is an emphasis on you to follow the guidelines and eat a healthy balanced diet. With each surgery the degree of compliance required from the patient varies. With a bypass or duodenal switch you will likely suffer if you eat high fat or high sugar foods (this varies so much, you may not suffer at all but that's not common) and from the outset the volume you can eat is drastically reduced. For the first 6 months or so the majority of patients will lose weight regardless of how compliant they are, after that it is more dependent on effort. Some people struggle with certain foods, but generally so long as you chew properly and eat slowly no foods should be eliminated. You will need to take supplements for life due to the malabsorptive element.

With a band, it is purely restrictive, so no adverse affects caused by too much sugar or fats. It can take time to reach a good level if restriction after surgery, depending on a huge number of factors such as saline put in during surgery, length of time it takes for swelling to go down, band and stomach size etc. Generally you will have some restriction after surgery for a couple of weeks, then very little restriction until after your fills start. Some people do achieve good restriction immediately or after only one or two fills, but some need 4 or 5 fills to achieve good restriction. Once you have restriction then the volume you can eat is limited, and there are often some foods which cause discomfort and so have to be avoided, particularly starches such as bread, rice and pasta. Sometimes that extends to some meats, vegetables and salads, although some believe this is due to the band being too tight.

With bypass, band and POSE there are ways to 'cheat' the stomach and overeat. Grazing and drinking with meals can affect all surgeries, pushing food through faster. With band you can eat high sugar high calorie foods such as ice cream, chocolate, milkshakes etc which will pass through the pouch of the band quickly. With POSE you can make bad choices and eat high sugar high calorie foods which even at a reduced volume will add up and slow down or stop weight loss.

So really making a decision is about being honest with yourself about your willpower and weaknesses, and researching until you could enter mastermind.

Generally if you ask a post-opper which surgery you should have they will recommend their own, as no-one wants to believe they made the wrong decision! It's just like when you do slimming world, you think it's the best diet ever and others should do the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

thanks for answering my questions mazza

shelbel u really know ur stuff! very true what u said at the end! and ur pics are amazing!

magicbeans said:
thanks for answering my questions mazza

shelbel u really know ur stuff! very true what u said at the end! and ur pics are amazing!

Thanks. I did loads of research pre-op and have continued post-op as the new procedures really interest me. I truly believe all surgeries can work well, and all can fail badly, dependent on the individual.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back