• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Post Bypass Food Shopping List

Hi

What are the essential shopping items needed for the first 3weeks post bypass?

Sorry just get so many things said and I'm a bit lost

Thanks for help in advance

It will very much depend on your providers post op rules...how long you do fluids only etc. My surgeon allowed Dutch crispbakes from the beginning as they dissolve in your mouth. I could also have yogurt but others only allow very thin liquids. You will be surprised how a tiny portion fills you up. Ice cube trays are perfect, as puddytats says. Milk is also useful...I drank a lot of milky coffee and also made protein shakes

Anything runny basically ,, try and find food that's high in protein .. If you have tinned soup then maybe add a few spoons of powdered milk to it to get a good shot of protein .. I lived on home made smoothies for my first weeks ..
Advacado , whey protein powder , coconut milk , and a bit of soft fruit makes a yummy smoothie

Go with what your team advise, but also you may find after your op your tastes change and you suddenly dont fancy what you did before. I would just go with the flow after your op and buy bits as you go. All the best

Firstly I had a sleeve not a bypass and went on to thin liquid on day 3 so maybe you'll be told something different :)
I had soup and runny mash both with powdered milk added and was advised to try and get one Tesco ultraslim in a day too. It's a bit of a shock learning how small 'meals' are especially straight after but you get used to it :)
Edited to add, I tried to stock up in advance but a lot of people said the same as @Kar8858 and I found that to be true.

Last edited:
I made nothing in advance, but my parents stayed with me after surgery and another friend cooked. Friend has MH problems and my booking for me, meant she was eating better too, so worked both ways. I personally couldn't have cooked myself when I got home. Although if I had to, I guess I would have made the effort.

Back