• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Previously accessed Web Pages HELP

Starlight

Not forum related but hoping someone can help.

Any pages I access by doing the www. bit in the address bar are not being stored anymore. It used to be when I clicked on the down arrow on the address bar all the pages Id previously typed in showed up. Ever since the PC muppet came to 'fix' my PC this hasnt happened, its driving me nuts. :cry:

Can anyone suggest whats happened AND how I fix it :cool:

My muppet suggests ... go to "tools" at top of your browser, then "internet options" ... at the bottom of that page is "history" - see how many days to keep pages in history are ... if it's been set to "0" change it to as many days as you want to.

Hope that helps. It apparantley won't bring back your history - but as you go on websites it will then store those pages as history.

My muppet suggests ... go to "tools" at top of your browser, then "internet options" ... at the bottom of that page is "history" - see how many days to keep pages in history are ... if it's been set to "0" change it to as many days as you want to.

Hope that helps. It apparantley won't bring back your history - but as you go on websites it will then store those pages as history.

Im mad at this guy the PC company sent out - he was totally useless

you could go to the same screen and clear the cache/history (this will get rid of all addresses) and start from blank.

Pierce

you could go to the same screen and clear the cache/history (this will get rid of all addresses) and start from blank.

Pierce

Thanks Pierce

Ill try that :)

Well that didnt work. It stored the pages last night but tonight theyve all gone again :(

Why don't you store those pages that you want to keep as favourites?

I have my top 20 on my link bar, so I can just click when needed.

The rest are just stored in my favourites.

Would that be a good alternative?

You know, it probably would :eek:

Thanks for that - why did I not think of that? lol

Discovered my problem, theres some mad programme on my PC which is 'protecting my privacy' and clearing all my pages, history, IDs and passwords every time I log off!!!

I did :) its Advanced Windows Care 2 Professional. Ive disabled that section. Have you heard of it Pierce? I didnt want to remove it before asking more about it.

I WILL be complaining to the PC people though, theyve no business installing things on my machine without my say so

Discovered my problem, theres some mad programme on my PC which is 'protecting my privacy' and clearing all my pages, history, IDs and passwords every time I log off!!!

Hi Starlight,
I thought in this age of identity theft, on line fraud etc, that this was the best thing to do anyway?

Like KD, i save my most used pages in favourites. On your privacy package, there may be a way to save safe pages, so that you dont have to log in again every time.

I bet there's a setting on Windows Care that you can change to get it to behave as you want.

If not, and you don't want to use favourites (I hardly ever use the address bar:p), then you could uninstall it.

Do make sure you have other software though that will keep your computer clean and safe :)

Hi Starlight,
I thought in this age of identity theft, on line fraud etc, that this was the best thing to do anyway?

Like KD, i save my most used pages in favourites. On your privacy package, there may be a way to save safe pages, so that you dont have to log in again every time.

Well yeah, but somebody isnt going to steal your identity by visiting the same pages you do.

Other solutions for commonly visited sites, is to use a social bookmarking service, like google bookmarks, furl, or del.icio.us

As such when you move pc, you dont lose all your bookmarks.

Google Bookmarks: www.google.com/bookmarks
(sign in with your gmail account)

Furl.net LookSmart's Furl - Your Personal Web

del.icio.us del.icio.us

Be careful with furl and del.icio.us, they will and can share your bookmarks with everybody else but you can make it private.

For firefox users:Foxmarks basically you download an extension sign into the service, and then you sync your favourites with foxmarks, now lets say you go to a public area, and want your bookmarks you download the extension for foxmarks, login and walla you have yoru bookmarks.

The most popular is google bookmarks. :)

Pierce

I use foxmarks too :) For synching between comps.

And furl...but I keep them private

Back