• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Private or NHS - which is quicker?

Spikeyjaycee

OK, I may upset a few people here (and if I do I apologise) but I was wondering whether you get seen quicker if you pay privately rather than having WLS on the NHS?
I know every PCT area has different waiting times and different criteria, but, honestly, does anyone feel (or even know) that if you pay for the surgery privately you will get seen sooner than if you have to wait for NHS funding. Does this mean that privately funded patients jump up the waiting list and get seen quicker, whilst NHS funded patients get moved further down the list?
I'm sure I'm not the only one to have wondered this. If I HAVE offended anyone I'm sorry. Just been told it will be another few months before I get an appointment and its depressed me a bit. :cry:

I don't think it's that anyone gets bumped down, it's usually more that surgeons have different 'times' for NHS and private patients.
I know, for example, my surgeon works at an NHS hospital but has certain days of the week (and times of the day now I'm thinking) where he is based at a private hospital.

And yes, private patients do usually get seen quicker than NHS.

Hope this helps. x

HI
Like has been said I think you would get seen quicker if you paid but in the end my opinion is to stick with the NHS then they are there for after it has been done the future etc.. and also I dont have 2 pennies to rub together lol
I hope that I woudl not get bumped down the list if there were private patients paying - not sure though it must happen, an NHS dr I am sure would prefer to operate on someone that has paid £7000 + rather than someone who has paid nothing.
good luck what ever you decide but i doubt that even if you chose private it would be within a week or two.
My pct makes you do a 6 month weigt management course first and at teh beginning i was fuming but i am half way there and in teh end its only a few more months, the best things come to those who wait LOL
xx

Hi,

I do not have experience regarding weight loss surgery but I know that NHS lists and Private lists are completely separate. If you choose to go privatly you will see your surgeon at a private hospital or clinic where they will work two or three evenings or afternoons a week or at the weekend when not cnontracted to do NHS work. They do private work in their spare time, not during the normal NHS week. NHS must always take priority, if they do both , or they will be in breach of their PCT contract.
Sometimes if a surgeon has a very long NHS waiting list and it is getting near to the end of the financial year the Trust will pay for them to see NHS patients privately so they can meet their waiting list targets.My husband is a Doctor in another field and is currently doing overtime at weekends excatly for that reason so his lucky patients are getting appointments very quickly. Unfortunately once the targets have been met everything gets back to normal and the 12 week wait!!

If you choose to go privately you will be seen quickly by the doctor of your choice and at a time of your choice. If you choose to wait for an NHS appointment it is the system, not the individual Doctor which will decide the length of time you have to wait.

Going privately does not put others further down the list, in fact it makes more space for those who cannot afford to pay.

Good luck with which ever way you go, there is masses of support and advice on this forum. I am loosing weight with Slimfast and have got lots of top tips and encouragement from everybody.

L.

I was lucky I went the NHS way and from start to finish it took 16 weeks so I'm glad I didnt opt to pay £1000's

Hi, spikeyjaycee, have you got your funding in place? i know how you must be feeling about the wait to be seen, i phone and one time i get told (wont be long now)and the next (it will be a few months yet)it changes every time i phone,its so depressing not knowing when its going to be,they dont seem to have a clue as to when youll be seen,but we have no choice but to keep positive and eventually it will have to be our turn.

hang in there guys! the clinics i go to are all nhs but they are only there 3 days a week i think he works his private clinics on other days but not sure ever dr i would think is different and waiting times depend on popularity of the hosp your going to i dont think people are bumped down to make way for private patients

I went private for my op - took me 3 days from deciding on a consultation to getting an appointment and 3 weeks later i was on the table - could have had the op the following week but i needed to co ordinate child care, time off etc ! :D

Hi All
I am another person on the St Richards wait list !! Hi Orchid and spikeyjacee.

Today I found out my diabetes is out of hand and bloods were bad. Kidneys not functioning well and I am worried.

This process started for me in April 08 the funding was the easy quick part for me - been on the wait list since July - I know how you feel I am getting sooo despondent and down. They are still seeing June it was that way in December so the wait for a consultation is at least another 2 months so all in all 10 months to be seen and that again I am told for the op.

St Richards does have private clinics separate to NHS I found out today about costs to find out my options - I know to be patient but I really am very low now - are there any other surgeons in the worthing PCT that do bypass ??? Mr Horner only does banding

know how you feel girls - feel like someone has stamped all the bubbles out of my bubble wrap xx i know ungrateful but thats how i feel no offence to anyone

From the sounds of things i was seen through a completely different PCT. My surgeon was Mr Amorri at The Alexandra in Cheadle, Manchester. I know that he works under different hospitals both for NHS and private patients. My GP sent my referral letter(NHS option, funded by my local PCT) mid november 2008, i had my first consultation with Mr Amorri on 16th Dec 2008 and was booked there and then at that same consultation for my op on the 3rd Jan 2009. I am now 5 weeks and 2 days post-op and so far i have lost 2stone 2pounds...still a long way to go but the process has been very quick for myself. I have not found it easy at all, particularly struggling with pureed foods (not very appetising to look at). I havent felt hungry at all and most days, although i should make myself eat, i can go most of the day without eating anything though i do make sure i have plenty of fluids to make up for it including Complan and milk and water and the occasional cup of tea or coffee.

Hope this helps you all.

From the sounds of things i was seen through a completely different PCT. My surgeon was Mr Amorri at The Alexandra in Cheadle, Manchester. I know that he works under different hospitals both for NHS and private patients. My GP sent my referral letter(NHS option, funded by my local PCT) mid november 2008, i had my first consultation with Mr Amorri on 16th Dec 2008 and was booked there and then at that same consultation for my op on the 3rd Jan 2009. I am now 5 weeks and 2 days post-op and so far i have lost 2stone 2pounds...still a long way to go but the process has been very quick for myself. I have not found it easy at all, particularly struggling with pureed foods (not very appetising to look at). I havent felt hungry at all and most days, although i should make myself eat, i can go most of the day without eating anything though i do make sure i have plenty of fluids to make up for it including Complan and milk and water and the occasional cup of tea or coffee.

Hope this helps you all.

You were very lucky to get an NHS funded op in a private BMI hospital ! all done within 6 weeks wow, there's hope for the NHS yet !

I went private with Mr Ammori and as long as i allowed 3 days for the blood test results to come back, I could be in the following week. I left it for 3 weeks so it fit in with work x x x

I went private with suricare and could have the op any time after i paid up, but held off until i could take the time as holiday.

Thanks everyone for your comments - its nice to have things clarified. You tend to think its just you being paranoid!
Orchid - yes funding is in place - its just the waiting thats frustrating!
Starry - does that mean that when you eventually get to see the consultant after 10 months, its another 10 months before the operation???? Heck I could be dead by then.............!
Now if I could just win the lottery, I'd go private....oh well...keep on hoping.

I am under salford PCT I am on a 6 month weight management course which finishes around teh 10th of April My dietician has told me I will have had teh operation before October !!! how real this is I have no idea ! I bet I wil still be waiting this time next year.
xxx hope it goes quick for you

Hi Spikeyjacee.

It £8160 to have it done privately at St Richards the wait is 2 months with clinic appointments immediately.

Spoke to secretary this morning Junes referrals are nearly done and for August referrals which is me it will be another 2 months at least.

Surgery she says by todays wait lists would be a further 6 -8 month wait.

so for me another 8 -10 months.
xxx

Hi Spikeyjacee.

It £8160 to have it done privately at St Richards the wait is 2 months with clinic appointments immediately.

Spoke to secretary this morning Junes referrals are nearly done and for August referrals which is me it will be another 2 months at least.

Surgery she says by todays wait lists would be a further 6 -8 month wait.

so for me another 8 -10 months.
xxx

have i got this right...you are going private (paying yourself) and still have to wait 8 to 10 months for your surgery???

HI
sorry for confusion !!

The wait is for us NHS funded girlies !

the other wait of 2 months is the private option at St Richards

sorry x

Back