• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein intake after surgery.......continued

mrs df

Hi everyone,

Having seen a few threads re protein supplements I thought I'd share this with you as I know that many supplements are high in calories.

Spirulina (a seaweed extract) is exceptionally high in protein with low calories. You can buy it in powder form and mix with food or tablet form which is tasteless.
The RDA is up to 6 tablets. Each tablet is 10g protein and 3xtabs are 5cals. So you can up to 60g extra protein a day for only 10cals!!!

You can buy it from Amazon.......Rainforest Foods. Spirulina tablets 300x500mg for £23.95 plus p&p.

I used to take these a few years ago before my accident and subsequent weight gain when I was training hard but I'd forgotten all about them until researching the best protein supplement for least calories as my provider recommends 100g a day.

Hope this info is useful to some of you.

Good luck
:) x

Thank you for this hun xx

Thank you for that, just bought some, needing to get my protein up, I'm on the mushies at the mo and I hate protein shots!!!! I have to fight to keep them down, so these tabes will help xx

Thank you for that, just bought some, needing to get my protein up, I'm on the mushies at the mo and I hate protein shots!!!! I have to fight to keep them down, so these tabes will help xx

Ah, bless you yes... The protein shots are soooo vile I just cannot stomach them. Protein water is ok as long as well diluted but why bother when you can just pop a pill !!!!

:)

Very true mrs df, tablets all the way!!!! I also take biotin, it's supposed to help with the dreaded hair loss, at the very least it won't do any harm!!!

I've only just heard about hairloss. Is it specific to any WLS or can it affect us all?

I have masses of hair and haven't seen any loss but I'm only 4 weeks post surgery

:)

Lamb_reader,

I chose rainforest brand. 1 because I've used other products of theirs before and been really pleased and 2. Because for the quantity/amount of protein/quality, it was the best value.
There are cheaper but for me this delivered on all counts.
Good luck :)

Hi everyone,

Having seen a few threads re protein supplements I thought I'd share this with you as I know that many supplements are high in calories.

Spirulina (a seaweed extract) is exceptionally high in protein with low calories. You can buy it in powder form and mix with food or tablet form which is tasteless.
The RDA is up to 6 tablets. Each tablet is 10g protein and 3xtabs are 5cals. So you can up to 60g extra protein a day for only 10cals!!!

You can buy it from Amazon.......Rainforest Foods. Spirulina tablets 300x500mg for £23.95 plus p&p.

I used to take these a few years ago before my accident and subsequent weight gain when I was training hard but I'd forgotten all about them until researching the best protein supplement for least calories as my provider recommends 100g a day.

Hope this info is useful to some of you.

Good luck
:) x

Huge thank for this. I have been have been very tired recently and I think it is the lack of protein. Which do you this is best the tablet or powder? I am on puree diet but do take several tablet form meds a day with out any problems.

Thanks again.
Kate
x

I replied a while back on these tablets. Please be aware that a gram of protein has an energy value of 4 calories. Spirulina is at most 70% protein. Each of these tablets is 1/2 a gram in weight. So by my calculations it would take 10 tablets to get 3.5 grams of protein - you will get the same from 100mls of skimmed milk.

Tablets arrived today. Nutritional information says 60gms of protein and 350gms per 100gms. However there is no weight on the bottle so i cannot work out how much per 6 tablets which is the RDA. Can anybody help please. They are approx the same weight as a paracetamol

The original poster says they are 500mcg, which is 1/2 a gram. Its about what paracetamol is too. So to clarify, that 60g of protein per 100g?

Yes 60 gms of protein per 100gm which is 200 tablets going on paracetamol. The rda is 6 tablets per day

im a preopper with no idea about the protein side of things and im a bit confused by this worth getting in ready or not?

Back