• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein - Science or Science fiction

Silversurfer

Hello loosers ;)

I've been thinking about the protien debate thats been ongoing now on the forum for some time, as many of you will know i dont advocate to using protein suppliments of any kind, its my strong belief that i can get my protein from the foods i eat, and till now i've successfully lost weight without having to add suppliments to my diet.

But i've been thinking about this, and given that some of the biggest losers on the forum preach protein and protein suppliments, i've decided to (in the name of science of course) give protein supplementation a go.

So today i've bought a 20 day supply of this Sci-MX 100% Whey Protein - Muscle Building, Whey Protein Shake
as its been recommended to me by the atheletes i work with who swear buy it.

So my supplimentation will be alongside my normal balanced diet and exercise regime, i'm still sceptical that it will have any effect on my weight lose, as i still believe that those that lose do so by making the right food choices together with exercise, and not because of suppliments, but i'm going to give it a go and see what difference there is, and of course report back on my findings.

julia in bath

look forward to hearing what you think about them as to weather or not they aid your loss, good luck.......

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
Interesting! I wouldnt pay that money tho - rip off!

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
You should find that it helps with your muscles, you're an active man and maintaing those muscles takes a fair deal of protein, so hopefully you should notice a difference with your excercise.

all this talk of muscles makes me sound like a right flirt lol.

topsy

Look forward to seeing your results SS - interesting experiment

quetiapina

Bumps along somehow
Good luck with yr muscle superpower protein shakes. Are you guarenteed to be an adonis by the end of the tin?:)

I hope your protein drink tastes better than mine. It boasts of being "vanilla flavoured". This is a lie. It tastes of brick dust. :jelous:

zetacatty

A loser at last!
I agree with you in that 'normal' people should be able to get all their nutrients from a well-balanced diet but post-ops have such a restricted diet that they can't possibly get all the nutrients needed for healing and maintenence so I think supplements including protein make sense. Good luck with your experiment silversurfer - let us know how you get on. xx

Last edited:

tendersage

Richard i would be interested in learning how this goes, i have noticed when i include them it does aid me, but i am never sure if its the protien or just because of my lifestyle at that time

Silversurfer

Interesting! I wouldnt pay that money tho - rip off!

Thats an interesting comment !

Have done a little research into protein suppliments and whats actually in the mix this seems the best, next time you pick up your regular super markey protein shakes have a look at the protein and carb contents, sucrose and the fats !

This stuff is a 79% whey protein content, very little fat, very little carb content and doesn't contain sugar ! ...........plus as it comes in a larger quantity it makes 20 days worth at about £1 a day ......i've been advised that th emore you buy the cheaper it gets !

Though i partly agree with you, it is a lot of money especially if it maes no difference, thats why i'm undertaking this experiement.

Silversurfer

I hope your protein drink tastes better than mine. It boasts of being "vanilla flavoured". This is a lie. It tastes of brick dust. :jelous:

I tried the chocolate this morning, and whilst it was ok i decided to go for the strawberry, my expectations though are pretty low regarding taste, but to be honest its not a meal replacement, so the taste isn't important provided i can drink it without being sick ! - but i'll report back when i start.

Janeywanttoloosealot

Thats an interesting comment !

Have done a little research into protein suppliments and whats actually in the mix this seems the best, next time you pick up your regular super markey protein shakes have a look at the protein and carb contents, sucrose and the fats !

This stuff is a 79% whey protein content, very little fat, very little carb content and doesn't contain sugar ! ...........plus as it comes in a larger quantity it makes 20 days worth at about £1 a day ......i've been advised that th emore you buy the cheaper it gets !

Though i partly agree with you, it is a lot of money especially if it maes no difference, thats why i'm undertaking this experiement.

hI SS, can i ask you just how many carbs a day a bypasser should be eating so it does not slow down their wheightloss? janey:)

Silversurfer

hI SS, can i ask you just how many carbs a day a bypasser should be eating so it does not slow down their wheightloss? janey:)

Hi
Have a look at this - it should help a bit

http://www.minimins.com/surgical-weight-loss/94254-no-nonsense-nutrition-facts.html

Carbohydrate is just as important in your diet as fats and protein, but to lose weight you should cut your carb intake down to the bare minimum and increase your protein, replacing processed carbs with complex carbs !

So in real life this means cutting out the bleached white bread, pasta, white rice, pastry, potatoe etc and turning to wild rice, beans and pulses, brown bread, yams or sweet potatoe and so on !

Also be warry about whats in the food label of the stuff your eating, lots of products are plumped up with carbohydrate and hidden in.

I expect PG or Shel wil be along in a bit with the exact measurements you need per day, im not that sure, i dont measure or weight any of my food, but just try to eat protein rich low carb food if possible.

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
SS - out of interest, how much weight have u lost? U need a ticker, or a siggy with ur achievements!

Oh and would u look at that protein supplement i posted and tell me if its worth buying?!! lol thanks!

Silversurfer

SS - out of interest, how much weight have u lost? U need a ticker, or a siggy with ur achievements!

Oh and would u look at that protein supplement i posted and tell me if its worth buying?!! lol thanks!

Im just under 9 months post op and have lost 10 stone so far

I'll have a look at the ebay page, had trouble opening it up earlier, but i've posted my thoughts, i'll try again in a bit and see if i can get it to work and have a look - but to be honest i'm not really an expert !

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
Not me :) can't be jacked.

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
10st is brill, well done!

Ive added the page info to my thread.