• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question re diabetic neuropathy in feet

novamay

Born Free
Hi, just wondered about diabetic neuropathy improving once you have had surgery and lost weight...

I have this in my feet, not too much but its enough to cause me problems with shoes and walking due to numbness/tingling/sensitivity/pain.

I wondered, once your diabetes improves or goes away after surgery, do you get the feeling back in your toes or has the damage been done and it can't be repaired?

Also, do you still need to have the annual eye tests and foot checks through the GP, if your diabetes goes into remission after WLS?

Hi,
I'm not sure if the condition improves but know you still have to have the annual checks.
Lyndsey x

mines not getting any better or getting any worse though ..........i think it all depends how long you've been suffering with neuropathy

It depends on the amount of time you have had it? If it's a very recent thing and you drop your Hba1c considerably post op then you may get some of the sensations back and improved pain. However if it is a long term problem the nerves will be damaged, however there is some recent research that suggests over a 2 years you may still see some improvement...so who knows is the real answer!!
Good Luck - I am a diabetes nurse - not just a know it all! x

Back