• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Questions about NHS Funding -

Anon1986

I've done abit of reading about how to apply for funding. (Gastric BAND, not bypass - )

My main problem is I've been large since i was about 14 (10 years), but over the past 6 I've become, well very large.

And I am seriously trying to get the nerve to ask for NHS Surgical help, I hate surgergy, and am also fairly shy about these things (Gotta love internet for anon questions)

Quote from BOSPA about my PCT.
Rotherham BMI over 50 or between 45-50 with severe comorbidities
My main problem: I am BMI 43 . Not 50...

But I have been this size for many years, I've tried to lose the wheight, but It never sticks. Either lack of will power, or being depressed, or busy, something always gets in the way. I think I've managed to go from 19stone to 18.5stone before failing, then jumped to 20stone and stayed there :(.

So, my question remains: If the PCT Guidlines at 50BMI is there even a point in asking my GP to refer me ?

I have an apointment for my GP on Monday night, so I was just looking for advice before then.

Thanks

Anon1986

charliegirl

Hi and welcome to minis, do you have any co morbidities? That will help....you need to speak to your GP if he/she does not think you meet the criteria then he wont refer you so best start is speaking to him...getting funding is really hard in some areas so be prepared you may need to fight....they may also suggest you attend weight management via a hospital...which could help you lose the weight...x

serenitylove

have you been given weight loss medications yet? most dr's want you to try these first i did really well on reductil but had to stop as my blood pressure went up but lost 5st on them in 4mnths [put it all back on after tho:(] good luck with gp

Anon1986

Nope -

Fairly healthy actually. Well, given my size.

Don't think I have high blood presure, don't have diabieties. But alot of history of obesity and asthma in the family, used to have asthma until i was around 16.

Well, I'm going to the doctors on monday. I've tried weight loss tablets before, never prescribed though.