• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Refused band - advice needed please

izzy31

Hi - I am new to this site and came across it whilst looking for some answers to a confusing consultation. I went to today to see Mr Richardson THG, I have a BMI of 37 and explained to him about weight problems i have had since i was 16 (now 31), i am under my GP as i tend to binge eat which i find very distressing. \i have had counselling over the years for comfort eating and been under dieticians, i have also been to numerous diet clubs etc. I also have PCOS. I researched the band and felt that it would help me break the cycle/habit of comfort/overeating, i thought about it for a long time and am dedicated completely. However when i went to see Mr Richardson he said that he wouldn't consider me for a band due to the binge eating as this can be dangerous for slippage and felt i would benefit from another round of counselling. I was distraught i am not deppressed or unstable and have tried this all before. Please tell me did any of you that have had gastric bands used to binge eat? Do you think i should get a second opinion or is this common practice to refuse a binge eater?

Issy x

cazbandy

Bring on the Trumpets!
It is on my records that I was a binge eater, I was told a band would be best as this would control my portions, but alongside the operation I had to agree to counselling too.

My first appointment is at end of June.

Mrs_CakeyBun

Joy's the best makeup :-)
I was a binge eater too.....mostly comfort eating. I had band privatly fitted back in april and it has really helped me come to terms with my eating and portion control. I have had counselling regarding my issues and it helped but was my surgery was not dependant on it. my starting BMI was 38.1 so only a tiny bit higher than yours. have you considered having surgery else where?

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
Hi

My problem was eating too much too! Did you have to pay for your initial appointment (Im sure someone else said they paid £500 up front). If not it may be worth getting a second opinion. My BMI was slightly higher than yours and I went privatly too.

Sounds strange that he refused because of your eating habbits but maybe they stick to the BMI of 40 NICE guidlines even for private patients.

Maz x

baby jayne

I binge ate also and have had a band, seems that is just 1 surgeons opinion...go somewhere else. You will probably have to go private as your BMI is low so the worlds your oyster chick check out all the surgeons and chose the most reputable.

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
i agree with the others, find a better providor as a band will help you with your problem x

izzy31

When i go for another consultation do you think i should mention i have been turned down already? x

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
ring a new providor ask on the phone do they help people with binge eating disorders, they will talk to you on your inquiry phone call as they wont want to turn away your business. then you will have an idea before you spend more cash on consultation fees.

liz x

izzy31

thanks for all your advice. I was so scared going for the consultion this morning as i had really thought about it long and hard and had finally made my mind up to go through with it. I was then distraught and totally confused when leaving. But you have made me feel more positive to carry on and look at other providers. Izzy x

Mrs_CakeyBun

Joy's the best makeup :-)
Both Mazza and myself (and quite a few others) went with the Weight Loss Surgery Group and I have nothing but praise for them and there pre and post op care has been wonderful. Wendy their Clinical Nursing Director is so helpful and very knowledgeable as is Collen who runs the support groups. I found there was no hard sell with them just honest advice. where are you based?

ps they do not charge for a consultation either

wildthing

Hiya Izzy,

I was an ex binge eater with a lower BMI than yours and the Hospital Group helped me which I am grateful for as it was touch and go with my lower BMI whether they would do it but am so glad they did cos I have stopped obsessing about food now and really enjoy every mouthful when I have my meals now instead of shoving it down as fast as I can!

AA1234

It depends what your binge eating is like. I like huge portions which of cause is not binge eating. If you sit and eat chocolate etc until you feel sick for comfort then I would think you need to get that sorted first. Because if you eat till you feel sick that will not change with a band. You will feel sick a lot sooner (and probably will be sick) with the band, but desire to eat to that extend will not go.

Like I said it depends on what sort of binge eating you do. One thing you must do is be honest with any other consultation. By not mentioning your binge eating you could be putting yourself at rick.

However, I do agree that you should get a second opinion.

Jezabelle

Quitting is NOT an option
Hi Izzy... Was the dr Martin Richardson? Where was it that you had your consultation with him? I am due to see this dr at Heartlands but on the NHS.
I'm not a binge eater but do have a problem with size and eating the wrong foods.

Jezabelle

Quitting is NOT an option
Hi Sue, I was hoping it was going to be Mr Super but my receptionist said she has written to Mr Richardson at Heartlands. Where abouts are you, have you had a band or bypass and was yours private or nhs? x

izzy31

Yes it was Martin Richardson, he was pleasant enough!
I phoned up WLS and explained my predicment to Colleen, who was lovely, very supportive. I have an appointment in London on Saturday. x