• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

revision from band to bypass anyone?

indianlight

Hi,
I'm new to this site, I've had a band for 2 years now and without boring people i've had lots of problems with it, although I must stress I have lost 6 stone with it, so it hasn't been a complete disaster.

My surgeon decided for the sake of my long term health it has to be removed, its been empty now since before xmas and i've got a weight gain of nearly 2 stone!! I am fortunate that my surgeon has agreed to a bypass at the same time as removing the band, i've now got a date 24th April which is great news!

However, I only know 1 person who has had this kind of revision and i was wondering if anyone here has had it?

I've heard that weightloss isn't as much at first if youve already had a band, is this true? or can i expect the same kind of loss as a first timer to wls?

I'd appreciate anyone giving me info on how different it feels from a band, i know the facts but from having a band i know that the reality isnt always the same as the facts!!

tesmaralda

Hi cant help you but wanted to say hi and welcome to minis. Alexa has had a band removed and a bypass done. She should be along later xXx

indianlight

Thanks I appreciate the welcome x

ulia

hi i had a bypass last year and have lost 8 stone. you will find that u willnot be able to eat all the same types of food that u could with a band

indianlight

Hi Ulia,

In what way? I was very restricted in what I could what I could eat. Its the alcohol and pepsi max that i'l miss...not that i'm an alcoholic!! lol

Sambucca

Hello and welcome. Cant offer any advice hun, but Alexa has had revision surgery and now has a bypass after a failed band. Im sure she will be along soon xx

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
:welcome2: glad you found the forum hun, i hope someone can help and answer your questions soon.

liz xx

:)PS. ive sent a freinds request to you.

indianlight

I got it thanks liz..ur now officially my friend...lol

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group

hopelesscase

hi and welcome to minis. there is a woman at my support group that has gone from band to bypass and she says she wished she had had the bypass in the first place she cant believe how mush easier it is. like you she had lost 6 stone with her band and due to problems with her restriction etc had to have her band emptied but she also developed a hernia the only thing she could manage to drink and keep down was energy drinks and gained 2 stone. She had her bypass the week after me and has since lost a futher 4 stone.
hth
hc

Alexa

Hiya, As Terri and Sam said I was banded in May 05 and had it removed in October 08, I was bypassed in Jan 09, I was supposed to have a full revison in October but my band had caused a lot of damage to my stomach so needed it to be done in two stages.. i did gain about 2 stone from my band being removed to the day of bypass. i never lost weight with my band but i suffered hugely with it...

Anyway the differences for me.. and they may be different for you as my band never functioned as it should so can't say really i had average banding experience.

First the surgery it's self.. The band was a walk in the park! Recovered within hours was up and about and getting on with life.. With the bypass I had open surgery wasn't as bad as i expected but was bad enough! though I made a brill recovery it did take a while to get my energy back and still now get tired fairly easy but I'm only 7 weeks post op. have lost 33lb....

Restriction... With my band I had very tight restriction even fully aspirated, my band was aspirated in June 07 and I still had very tight restriction... I couldn't eat solid food was only on sloppies for the whole three and a half years i had my band! Well i was always hungry as my distal stomach was still in use.. With the bypass I'm never hungry and now have to basically force myself to eat three or four small meals a day.. small meals consist of about three spoons of food..

The major difference between band and bypass I've noticed is that the band didn't really stop me eating or drinking rubbish it accommodated the bad food much easier than chicken and salad! with my bypass firstly i just don't have the appetite but second I suffer dumping syndrome if i have something i shouldn't I dumped yesterday on a cup of tea!

With a band I found if i chucked up once i cleared the blockage i could then resume eating, but with a bypass if ur full and over eat u chuck up and there is no way you can carry on eating once ur full ur full. the feeling of being full is very very different.

I have not for one moment regretted my bypass I love it and feel so much better i'm just so happy it's done now and i am moving on with my life... It's worlds apart from the band very different and i no longer live with the fear of getting fills or it slipping or anything like that. i hated my band in the end i could feel it burning me inside and it was only once it was removed did people finally believe that it was a band problem and not me for the reason it never worked... it was fitted way to tight and was virtually strangulating my stomach. i had aspirational pneumonia a few times and it lasted a good four to five months each time i got it and it just seemed like i was constantly ill... and i had horrendous heart burn something iv not had since my bypass...

i think you will do great but you may struggle with the fizzy drinks, and alcohol its pure sugar, you will be very drunk on only small amounts with the bypass.

thinkbethin

Hi there Indianlight, sorry I cant help you as I'm pre op for band but just wanted to say hello and welcome. I'm sure you will get lots of help with your question on here as the peeps are fab and know what they are talking about. Good luck xxGaynorxx

tendersage

Hi indialight welcome to mini's and good luck with your revision

indianlight

wow can I just thank you all for a warm welcome! I know from being banded that any help is useful, so i'm grateful!!