• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Snacking, chocolate and sleeve?

Zoobles

I am a sweet toothed snacker (chocolate is my kryptonite), and so I originally intended to have a bypass. However, I have osteopenia (pre-osteoporosis), and after discussion with a bariatric surgeon yesterday I've been advised this makes me not suitable for the bypass.

He strongly recommended the gastric sleeve instead, and that's fair enough - I'm quite fond of my bones and would like to keep them! ;)

I chose the bypass because of the dumping aspect hopefully curbing my snacking & sweet tooth. Clearly I fail at the willpower alone approach to not snacking or scoffing chocolate. Can a sleeve work for me, do you think? :confused:

I was a total chocoholic never ate lunches or dinners etc always choc and it wasn't down to the dumping cos I never ate enough since but I have lost my sweet tooth or should I teeth lol. But I had bypass. It's just thoughts of it makes me feel sick.

And that is a defo feeling I never thought I'd have.

Hi Zoobles, from what I gather you can dump pretty badly with a bypass as well. I've got the sleeve and I still have chocolate, not as much as before but to be honest since having the op my taste buds have changed. Still like a bit of chocolate though, but at least now I don't feel as though I need a whole family size bar.

Hi!! Im a chocoholic with a sleeve. You can still have a dumping experience with a sleeve, my thing is ice cream and ive also had it with melon.
I had not taste for chocolate for the first four months then slowly my interest in it came back. Its nothing like before but at least now I know if i want a bit of chocolate then i can have some. I started having the odd club biscuit at first which is a good size for the sleeve. Yesterday I treated myself to a kitkat chunky. Im six months out now and and i can just manage a whole chunky but feel very full afterwards. Once i have had it I dont feel like I want anymore unlike before.
My sleeve has been very successful for speaking as a chocoholic sweet tooth binger...yes it does work.

Hi, I had a bypass and a very sweet tooth. My tastes have changed a bit though and I have occasionally had chocolate since but not fussed. I don't dump either, wish I did really as I wouldn't have it at all if so! Anyway, best of luck with your sleeve and hope your sweet tooth subsides like mine did :)

So it sounds like I could still have dumping with the sleeve, and might not have had it with the bypass anyway. Also after surgery my taste buds might change & no longer be so chocoholic. And as an added bonus, with the sleeve I'll still be able to absorb enough calcium to stop my legs from falling off. Excellent! Sleeve it is then! :D

Magic! I'm sure you will make the right choice for you! I find one thing I can manage with my sleeve is yoghurt and hot chocolate made with milk! All full of calcium!

Hi Kar,
Talking about food, how you get 60grams of protein?just food or protein powder as well?
I am looking forward to not to have that horrid powder when i start 'eating' .

I average around 40-50g a day, the recommended daily amount for a woman is 46g
I get this mostly through dairy, milk, yoghurts and cheese. Chicken is also a good one.
Today, for example, i had a shredded wheat for breaky, 5g, then a muller yog, 5g, then a danio yog, 11g, then a lunchables pack, 17g, then another danio for supper, 11g. Thats 49g and if I have a milk hot chocolate during the day I can add another 4-5g.
I find the high protein danio yogs amazing and they are lovely and sweet so I get me fix! The calories for the above come in at 800, or 900 if I had the hot chocolate.
Im averaging 950 cals a day now which has increased steadily over the months.

I dont use any protein powders or supplements, they taste awful, not my thing at all...

Thank you Karina, that is a good guide.

Lunchables, are those the chicken bits? Very good protein value.

Back