• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Teeth!

Twiggie

Ok, this is a rather odd one but thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else has similar experience.

Ever since I started my pre-op diet I seem to have this horrible furry coating over my teeth. I'm brushing them 3-4 times a day but it soon comes back. I'm assuming it's because we're not able to bite & chew proper food so they're not getting cleaned naturally?

Please say I'm not alone lol

Are you eating low carb?

Sounds like ketosis to me!

When I do low carb I get a kind of fuzzy feeling in my mouth, a metallicy taste in my mouth and terrible bad breath.

Nothing to worry about, I used to use those breath freshener strips that disolve on your tongue, they really helped (or brush your tongue & teeth)

I'm not sure it's ketosis per se that is actually causing the 'furriness', although that would be definitely responsible for bad breath/metallic taste. Are you just on liquids? If so, it's probably exactly what you say, no mastication = no saliva flow/enzyme action which would usually wash your teeth after eating. Not sure you can do much about it except wash your teeth after each drink; you could try chewing gum afterwards? Joy, I've got that to look forward to have I, lol? xxx

Back