• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

The truth and all you need to know about the bypass

Frosty

Hi all
(As added info please look at my signiture for some very nice meal ideas for post 6-8 weeks bypass / banding . 1 for veggies 1 for meat eater)

I said i would write this just to help some understand the operation etc.

After getting the operation date etc you ready bags packed .

Day 1 you goto hospital you get shown your bed asked a few questions Ob's are taken and then your left alone afte rletting you know roughly when your operation will be.

Day 2 Operation day , Thisis the part where everybody has got the jitters. " Thinking everybody says i could die there is such a high death rate" WRONG everybody has a risk no matter what operation they have be it appendix tonsils anything. The doctors just need to tell you that there is risk becuase its law. Did you know there is more chance of dying from being hit on th ehead by a coconut on holiday, then dying from a gastric bypass. My doctor told me in all the years he had worked doing these operations he has NEVER lost a patient. SO dont worry you will wake up ( BUT MAD) ill get to this next.
You get on the operating table and you feel a little like a turkey being stuffed ready for cooking. but its soon over and they put you to sleep.
Now you wake up jebus mother of fish i was in a bad mood my tummy hurt and i was screaming GIVE ME DRUGS. sorry im a pussy cat. But i got to my bed and they gave me morphine and i was happy as larry.
After the op you goto 1 on 1 nursing they sit next to you helping you with everything you ask, Its fantasic. if you have pain tell them . They will sort it out.

Day 3 if you unlucky like me they take you off your morphine drip and then ask you to sit in the bed side chair and wait for a nurse to come see you and help clear your lungs out. It no big job sit there for a while get it done and get back in bed. dont forget . Got Pain tell them. When they get a bed free you will be moved to a open ward no problem they wheel you there.

Day 4 pain has gone but you cant lay on your sides but you have a electric bed to get sorted ask for more pillows. At this point try to start walking. And drink Sip sip walk walk allday as much as you can. goto the toilet as much as you can. this will only benefit you.
You will get a build up of gas plus the gas they fill you with it needs to all go.

Day 5 if you have been good walked about sipped water been toilet you can go home. The drive hom eis lovely it moves your tummy and get some wind loose . dont worry who is next to you in the car . LET IT OUT.
WHen you get home make sure you top up with pain killers the codeine they give you is fantasic make sure you take it at night as it stop andtummy cramps as a side effect.

Day 6 your sailing now maybe your in pain maybe a little sick ,just take it easy keep taking pain killers and your nearly there.

day 7 This is the last day of the week Dread many call it that because your tired weak mayeb some pain. but dont ask me what it is but that 7th day it all goes like magic.
Catch up with the sleep you may have lost. and then follow your diet to the letter.

And enjoy your new life

I would just like to add If anyone has any questions please please ask the more you know the better. Please mail me or Private message me no matter what time of day or night ill be only to glad to help

And please excuse my grammer etc my mind works faster then my fat fingers :p

Last edited by a moderator:
A good insight, thanks for the info (im not considering one, just came across the post!)

good luck with the weight loss im sure ull do gr8 x

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Mark, your a star for doing all that thank you so much xx

jammyjaney

When i had my gastric bypass done just a little over 3 weeks ago, it went a bit like this.

Day 1, arrive at hospital 6am, shown to room and left to unpack.
Then the nurse came to see me, took blood pressure etc.
Next in was the guy who was going to put me to sleep, followed by my surgen, i had to sign the concent form agreeing to the terms and conditions.

I was then told to change into my gown. I walked down to surgery and got on the bed by myself, within 5 mins i was fast asleep.

Woke up in the recovery ward, was crying from pain but that soon went with the help of the lovely drugs. I was in recovery for about 2 hours as i was being sick(always happens to me) but i know the time varys from one person to the next. When you wake up you do have a drip going into you neck, hand, a tube connected to a bag coming out your tummy to drain any fluids.

back in my room by 1pm, slept untill about 5. i was then sat in the chair which was my choice. The evening did go slowly, i was checked on about every 30 mins or came as soon as i pressed the buzzer. on going pain killers.

I have to say my mouth was very dry but they do allow you to rinse in out with mouthwash which helps.

Day 2.
Was woken up and managed to have a wash. nurse was outside the door incase i needed her.
I was allowed my cafata(spelt very wrong) taken out. and felt much better as i didn't have that attached to me.
Surgen visited me twice that day, and by evening i was allowed small sips of water. I also was up walking throughout the day, even though i had to drag my drip around. Again as many pain killers as i needed

Day 3.
Managed to have a shower(trying to avoid the plasters on my tum)
Increased my water intake. Was visited by surgen again and he said my tube and drips could all be taken out and if the nurse said it was ok i would be allowed home that day.
I was given some clear soup to eat at lunch which went down well. The nurse said if i wanted to go home i had to do lots of walking so i did.
When the drain came out it was not painfull but did feel VERY strange, a dragging sensation.
Later on the drips where taken out my hand and neck not painfull at all.
I felt 10times better after all that.
Drank some apple juice and felt fine so at 4pm they said i could go home!!! YAY!
Car ride home i did not feel any pain.

Over the next few days i felt bloated more than anything, i had pain killers to take when needed!!

hope this helps, sorry about the spelling!

Lyn8124

Journeying to the real me
Good post, very informative.

jammyjaney

oh and just to mention i had to wear those socks from the morning of my op till two weeks after, and when i woke up i had these pumpy things round my legs! like a miny massage! but they came off by evening

Frosty

oh and just to mention i had to wear those socks from the morning of my op till two weeks after, and when i woke up i had these pumpy things round my legs! like a miny massage! but they came off by evening

Oh yes i forgot them . They are a extra safe guard from blood clots so thats another thing people shouldnt get worried about

mandy-1975

Thanks Frosty and Janey

Both very informative........ Janey when I went for my pre op assesment yours is exactly how they explained it to me to be!!!! I think I am more nervous about having the drains taken out more than anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Baby I am

Thanks to both of you!!!!!!!!

Gerry

It's great to read these reports, and I wonder if each of you would mind saying which hospital (and where it is) that you had your ops? Is there anyone else on the forum who could put their experience of their op on here please? One thing I've learnt is that it really does seem to vary from one hospital to the next.

I think it would help others to understand there is nothing to worry about.

It's not the op which worries me. What does is having the drains taken out (yes I'm a wuss! :eek:) and also the pumpy up boot type things they have on your legs. I know I'm not going to die from using them, but what is worrying me is that vibration of any sort goes straight to my joints. When I broke my leg they put me in a bed (non-electric) with some weird mattress that was inflated and had ripples constantly going through it. I was in tears after 20 minutes. I also have restless leg syndrome, so my legs are rarely still anyway. Sit me in a chair and I bet I could beat the pumpy up boot things anyway :D. Guess I'll have to explain all that to them and make sure it's in my notes.

Would love to read some more experiences if anyone wouldn't mind sharing.

Gerry
:)

nefernefruaten

oh god the green stockings!!! horrible things lol... one was fine but the other one my toes kept poking out lol but cos of my sore tummy i couldnt get down there to fix them drove me mad..... and the pumpy leg thing set my teeth on edge after a while so i made sure i got up and about asap....
also wen the drain was removed from my tummy.... wot a weird feeling!! i gave the ward a giggle tho cos wen it was coming out i said (rather loudly) "oooooh im giving birth to a worm!!!"
Dxxxx

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Great insights from all of you thank you very much xx

mandy-1975

oh god the green stockings!!! horrible things lol... one was fine but the other one my toes kept poking out lol but cos of my sore tummy i couldnt get down there to fix them drove me mad..... and the pumpy leg thing set my teeth on edge after a while so i made sure i got up and about asap....
also wen the drain was removed from my tummy.... wot a weird feeling!! i gave the ward a giggle tho cos wen it was coming out i said (rather loudly) "oooooh im giving birth to a worm!!!"
Dxxxx

Thats has had me and the office in stitches!!!!!!!!!!!!! tahnks Donna

Lyn8124

Journeying to the real me
Aww and hows wee Wormy now? Any pics? :giggle:

Frosty

Hi,
I think that your op details are really informative and they have made me feel much better about the op. I'm trying not to think about it too much, but when I do i just have a read of what you wonderful people have written and it is very comforting.
Thanks
Sara

Hi Sara

Just want to say its a doddle, I was worried as hell before the operation, But when your done and out you look back and think what was all the fuss about.

Even yesterday i was worried because i can eat fairly normal , Only kids size meals but i can eat meats etc no problem.
And not the minced stuff i was advised i had to eat.

I phoned up the doctor and he said GOOD im glad you back to normal so fast. As we only give the information thats the worst case. So im normal after all and nothing to worry about.

My mum always said i was special :D ( No laughing )