• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Tips for bypassers or those considering it.

Tyraboots

My tip number one, if you can, try to develop a bit of upper body strength. For pulling yourself out of bed and chairs after your surgery. I struggled with this, even my arms were weak.

Tip two, which I stole from this forum, is use a teaspoon to eat your food in the beginning. It really slows you down no end.

Brill post Tyraboots, i wait to see all the tips!

I was also hoping we could have a thread solely based on protein rich foods and if people could put on it what they discovered and what stores they've brought/seen it in and of course the important bit - costs....

My tip number one, if you can, try to develop a bit of upper body strength. For pulling yourself out of bed and chairs after your surgery. I struggled with this, even my arms were weak.

Tip two, which I stole from this forum, is use a teaspoon to eat your food in the beginning. It really slows you down no end.

good tips tyraboots:) i think the tea spoon will be needed as i dont chew food, i never have time lol:8855:

yes the teaspoon is a great idea i used that one and Beano you will have to learn to chew now as you will be sick if you dont hun but i am guessing you have already been told that.
A thing I found invaluable was to buy some small plastic pots and put left over food from cooking in them and freeze them for another meal another day.

To constantly have a bottle filled with water or in my case light Ribena beside you all the time and sip sip sip. Julie i never have and still don't use protein supplements/drinks as Mr Ammori is adament i don't need them. Get my protein from usual sources like cheese, milk, yogharts and red meat and chicken xx

Can I ask how everyone was when they were 1st post op with fluids. I could only sip sip sip, but a friend who is 3 weeks post op says she can drink lots without discomfort...anyone else like that??

drinks, I was sip sip sip but now 6 months on I can drink plenty and fast. I was worried about being so slow at drinking at first but you do get faster. However I still don't drink enough, bad girl!!!!

I struggled (and still do 5 weeks post op) getting enough fluids down partly because I couldn't find anything that I could stomach. I've found some nas kids drinks from Asda that I can drink without the overwhelming taste of sweetner so I've been drinking those. It's probably best to sip your fluids anyway as it will be easier on your pouch.

My tip is if you're (like me) a bit frightened to eat at first, dip your spoon in whatever you're eating and lick it off there rather than trying to put the spoon in your mouth. I was so frightened to eat post surgery but found this was a better idea, once I got used to the food going down and not hurting then I could proceed to actually taking small spoonfuls of food.

Also if you're like me and have a big belly apron, get tena ladies (if you're female obviously) and if possible a sponge on a stick to wipe yourself after you've been to the toilet, I was in too much discomfort to reach for at least a week. My mum got me some little dish mops which I wrapped in loo roll. Wet wipes are also a good idea as well.

I made a check list of half pints and as I drank each one, I ticked it off until I reached the requisite 2 litres. I tried as many different liquids as I could. I have just purchased some little pots for freezing food in portion sizes, I seem to have lots of left overs to use up so I freeze them. Ice cube trays are great also for freezing food in portion sizes. A set of measuring spoons instead of guessing how big a tablespoon is. Good kitchen scales, if it says 1oz that's exactly what I have. But I am only 6 weeks post op, so still finding my feet. I have my food on a small plate so the small portions dont look lost. Teaspoon definitely helps. A "V" shaped pillow, put one part between your legs and rest your tummy on the other part def helped with sleeping post op. OK out of tips for now, HTH Dawn.

I couldnt really drink for the first three weeks or so. It was a choice between water and food. I couldnt do both. Now I take a bottle (with a sports cap) everywhere with me and sip throughout the day but still not managing a full one but getting better.

Also, I agree about licking the food off the spoon rather than spooning it straight in. That is what I did and still do with new foods.

Sal i did start off slowly but don't think i actually ever just sipped except in hospital. 6 months on i can drink pretty normally and i have to say i can eat at a reasonable pace too without any adverse effect xx

Lol Allie - I was a sipper at first and cant remember when I went back to gulping, and I can eat normal portions and drinks now fine - hence the 5 day pouch test for me on Wed lol x

sal, can you really eat normal portions? or can you just eat more than you used to?

.x.

Depending on what hun, pretty much normal. I can eat a whole pork chop with half a portion of veg and a 2-3 oven chips, but the next day only half a portion of soup?! Its random. Someone was telling me about the brain not recognising when to stop and that in bypass patients there is only really 1% of bypassers that really cant tell when they are full. I genuinely believe I might be one of that percentage as I cannot tell when I am full. I ate that the other night (pork chop etc) and threw it up. I was slow, I chewed, took 15 mins etc and got non of the signals to stop. I think I may have to learn to control by sight. grrr

sal i wouldnt worry too much.

I just ate a whole chicken breast 150g, 50g of spud and 30g carrot (with 50g of sauce to help it down)

Its normal to be able to fit more in the further out from your op you are :)

are you still loosing?
.x.

Back