• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Was this a dump?..

MissDiet

Come on lbs!!!
Hope you can help.

I've had this feeling a couple of times.

Foods:
Cod from chippy (no batter, about 2 table spoon portion.
Dolop of gravy
Dolop of mushy peas

Cottage pie- home made, lean mince etc

Im currently on the soft food stage.

Feeling: like i want to throw up, pressure in chest, sometimes a little sip of water helps, other times it doesnt.

Now i dont know if im eating too fast or not chewing well enough. Please can someone help?

Xx

Hi!

Actually-that sounds much more like too much food in your little pouch. It's more of a stuck than a dump.
I read this on a different site:

Good luck-I am sure you will soon feel better!

Dumping and having food become “stuck” are two different phenomena. Two different manifestations (most of the time), symptoms, and courses of treatment.

Dumping is caused when you eat something with a lot of sugar or fat. The food empties out of your pouch and into your intestines rapidly (cuz your pouch cannot break it down) and causes a chain reaction. Dumping can make you feel dizzy, light-headed, give you an intense need to lie down. You may have sweats, a rapid heartbeat, stomach cramps and diarrhea until said food passes. Not everyone dumps. In fact, most RNY patients don’t according to studies. Some people have milder forms and some have more severe forms.

Getting food stuck means that you’ve eaten something that simply cannot pass through your stoma (the opening of your pouch). Sometimes this is because food is too dry (especially with meat), or not cut small enough, or has been microwaved. Sometimes we don’t know why it happens at all. Sometimes it will happen with a food one day and not the next. It really is erratic. Food stuck is characterized by feelings of tightness in the chest, a thick, foamy, slimy glaze in the mouth, nausea, aversion to smells, an intense urge to vomit. Stuck food may come up immediately, it may take its time to come up, it may not come up at all, but eventually pass.

When you are dumping there is not much you or anyone else can do about it. If you can lie down, do so and ride it out. If you feel like you need to call your surgeon’s office do so, but most likely they’ll give you that same advice. It will pass. For some it passes quickly, for others it is a slow recovery but it will pass.

For food getting stuck there are a variety of remedies I’ve seen people use. Some like papaya enzyme to get food unstuck. Personally I expose myself to strong smells which eventually makes me vomit. With stuck food you will almost instantly feel a lot better once the food comes up. If something remains stuck for a prolonged period of time, becomes intensely painful or worries you in any other way, call your surgeon.

Thank you so much for your response! Xx

I also find myself really windy and burpy lol. Ive found walking about helps, not needed to throw up yet, thankfully!

I microwave almost all my meals, i suppose it comes with the territory of not eating a normal portion which ends up making 2-4 mini meals

Thanks again hun xx

Happy to share anytime! There is nothing worse than going through these things and not knowing for sure. I think the fear of it can be even worse than the pain.

I know early out-I went through SO many different feelings and moments where I just wasn't sure, because my body was "not my own" LOL!

Over time-you will start to be able to know your own signs and what those limits are.
:)

Back