• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Weight loss in first month after bypass

everpositive

Have tried to look to see if this was elsewhere on the threads but couldnt really, so apols if it is and I've not found it!!

Was just wondering in the first month, what sort of losses people had after their bypass (NOT INCLUDING PRE OP REGIME).

Just looking at Groms stats and it looks like shes lost 45lbs since 27th Dec which is superb!!!

Also, when can I expect to have a medical review following my surgery and the opportunity to get weighed?

Cheers guys, you are really helping me through all this so well! xx:)

Weight loss during the first month is hard to predict. Some people drop loads and then it tapers off, others lose at a steady rate. I myself lost about 20lbs during my first month and then 15 in the next month. Add that to my pre-op loss of 20lbs, you get a 55lbs loss in 2.5 months.

The amount you lose is down to your starting BMI (the higher it is the quicker the weight comes off is the theory), your own health factors (some conditions/meds can effect weight loss), your gender (males lose faster), your compliance to dietary guidances & how much you lost on your preo-op (people with over a 10lbs loss from pre-op sometimes have a lower loss in the first month post-op).

As for your follow-up, most surgeons have you come in 4-6 weeks after surgery for a check-up & weigh in. After that, it varies from doctor to doctor how often they want to see you. I think most people say every 3 months or so.

HTH
N:D

Last edited:
i have 3 appointments already in place, tomorrow is my wound check with the nurse, begining of feb is my 1st dietician appointment and in early march i have an appointment with Mr Mannur

I lost only 8lb on the pre-op diet as my body went into starvation mode 2 days prior to surgery, however its only just kickstarted again and at 1 week post op i have lost the grand sum of 1k LOL still its a loss and to be truthful i expected it to take longer to get my metabolism working again, as i have an extremely underactive thyroid

As you see from my weight loss chart, Fridge Graph: Graph Your Weight, from my pre-assessment (a week before my op - but no pre-op diet or regime to follow) to a month after, I lost 33lbs. To date in all, I have lost 78lbs.

But everyone is different & it DOES vary so try not to compare too much!

Last edited:
Have tried to look to see if this was elsewhere on the threads but couldnt really, so apols if it is and I've not found it!!

Was just wondering in the first month, what sort of losses people had after their bypass (NOT INCLUDING PRE OP REGIME).

Just looking at Groms stats and it looks like shes lost 45lbs since 27th Dec which is superb!!!

Also, when can I expect to have a medical review following my surgery and the opportunity to get weighed?

Cheers guys, you are really helping me through all this so well! xx:)

I wish!
I lost a stone on the pre op diet (from 20st down to 19 st) and then last time I got weighed at the start of this week I was down to 18 st 3. I think the confusion was that I has already lost about 20 lbs before I saw the consultant and before the pre op diet. I have changed my figures to make it clearer - wouldn't want to mislead anyone!!

Grom i have done the same, lost 24lb prior to the bypass, 8 of that was the milk diet so i have started my ticker from 0 so its not confusing. also started one of the online fridge graphs that a few peeps have posted saves me having to do it on a spreadsheet

Back