• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Which Private Company did you use for your Band?

ejc1905

Six Month Post Op
Hi,

After years & years of trying every diet available, yo-yo up & down but never quite keeping it off and the development of diabetes, I am thinking that Surgery is my only option.

I do not qualify for NHS funding, so am looking a private providers.

Trouble is, I just don't know who is "good" & who isn't. I have had a look at the Hospital Group who are cheapest but not very close to me & BMI Healthcare who are expensive but more commutable.

This site has been invaluable in providing me the info for banding v's bypass, the truth about post-op & good/bad stories - just wondered if anyone had recommendations as to the service from each company? Which have better success rates? Have more experience? Offer better value for money? etc

Many thanks in advance!
ejc1905

Hiya!!
I have had a bypass not a band, but I did go privately to have it done with Healthier Weight... their after-care totally rocks, they have regular support groups, a 24hr phone line, they phone regularly to see how you are getting on and are always on the end of the phone and are also contactable via email- they offer a vey personal service and make you feel like they really care and that is is not about the money but about you...I would definitely recommend them.
Dr.Ashton is a leading expert in obesity and he really does know his stuff...good luck in whoever you decide to go with but make sure you think about the after-care service too, because healthier weight really do give a very good after care. ;)
:party0011: Xxx Lizzie xxX :party0011:

Another group with a good reputation are the Weight Loss Surgery Group (WLS Group). The group was founded by a post op patient and focuses on aftercare.

I can STRONGLY recommend The Weight Loss Surgery Group...they did my band 2 weeks ago and I have nothing but total praise for the way its been handled....they do surgery around the country but I had mine in a Private Hospital in North London and they just amazing the Surgeon I had was Professor Nadey Hakim a VERY experienced Surgeon. he told me he performed 14 band surgeries in March alone and he is the 35th President of the International College of surgeons.

They do not charge a consultation fee unlike some providers and they have a clinic in Harley Street where you could get to from Windsor I would think.
The post op care is brilliant too and they are so supportive, I paid for a full package at £6995 that gave me the full surgery (no expensive extra charges at all) all consultations and 2 full years aftercare including unlimited fills and defills, a 24hr phone line to support, A dietitian and fitness consultant, at the moment I'm starting my 3rd week post op and they call a couple of times a week to see if I doing OK and to offer help and support. They have support groups every month in London too....Im going to my first one next Saturday.
Wendy who does the fills is renowned round the country for her fantastic service.
I find it really helpful that the people that run WLSG have had the surgery so they actually have real life experience.

They also offer an aftercare only service that a few of the people on here have signed up to after having cheaper surgery elsewhere....for me it was important to have one provider supporting me all the way through as then they know my case from start to finish.

At least on other person on here is having their surgery with them (at the Preston Clinic) and they are also very happy too.

If you have any questions about them let me know.....but to me they have been brilliant and I have yet to find anyone with a bad word to say about them:D

Hi

I would be that other person going with the WLS group. Having my band fitted on staturday as Wanda said in Preston. I live in the midlands so anywhere was accesible for me.

I chose them because the info and advice they provided was completly unbiased and the aftercare package seems one of the best around. My band is costing £5950 with the same aftercare as Wanda - 2yrs unlimited fills etc.

Good luck x

Last edited:
Hi, I a with healthier weight. Dr Ashton is a marvel he really makes you feel important and understands you and your problems. I have my op on 30th April and will paying £6950 with unlimited fills for a year and aftercare for life including support groups, dietitians, bariatic nurse, 24 hour hotline etc etc.

There are some excellent services out there. All I would say is make sure you consider your aftercare package. Otherwise you could end up spending more down the line.

Hi, I'm having my band fitted on the 1st May and am going with Nuffield in Brentwood. There are only 4 band fills, but 2 years with the dietician, support groups and lots of other support - also this was the nearest one to me and thought it would be better for my OH to get to and from the hospital for visiting, picking me up to take me home etc - also the nearest it is too home, the less time post op in the car feeling every pot hole in the road (and let's face it, there isn't one road in Essex that hasn't got half a dozen of them!!)

Thank you all so much for your messages. Interesting that none of you have used the two I was looking at. The prices all seem to be around the same sort of costings, and like Corey, I guess it will boil down to who is easiest/closest for me to get too.

Mrs Cakeybun - which hospital in North London was your operation at?

Lots of banders here have used The Hospital Group, under their Why Go Abroad package. If you search WGA or Dolan Park on here you'll find lots of threads.

Hi

Mine was with BMI Healthcare. I paid £7500 but it is £6500 if your BMI is under 50. I chose them because the surgeon was recommended to me and the hospital is really convenient to my home.

The fee includes 5 fills and ongoing support from the dietician.

The surgeon was great. The hospital was fine was all in all the aftercare has been very lacking.

Knowing what I know now, if it weren't for the convenient location, I would have gone elsewhere.

Good luck with your journey.

x

it was at the Highgate Hospital...in Highgate

WLS why choose us?

really nice and spotlessly clean...lovely room with amazingly comfy bed.... flatscreen TV, EN-suite with loo and powershower....it was lovely and quiet and I had the same nurselook after me during the night so one person I go to know and one person during the day...it was nice as I didnt have to keep explaining myself if you see what I mean

Hiya

I had mine done at the Hospital Group, Dolan Park, on the cheap and cheerfull package, no thrills, and that is exactly what you get. If I had to chose again, I would have the same surgeon, but not at Dolan Park. I have used the WLS group for private band fills (just got funding through my PCT to have future band fills on the NHS), and I would reccommend them. I have heard nothing but good things about them, and having the experience of working with Wendy Stubbs for the band fills, if she reflects the company,then I would go with them. I am lucky enough to have the aftercare through the NHS, but if my band fails at any point they will not replace it because the one I have in has been done under a private surgeon. I have the dietician, councellor and now my band fills done through the NHS, so it has worked out well for me, but if you go for the basic package through the hospital group (which comes under the Why Go Abroad banner), and dont have the support in place, you really need to think about how you are going to cope after the surgery. You can buy aftercare only through the WLS Group, but if you have the funds, I would have the surgery with them also if I were you.

Hope that this is not too long winded, wish you luck where ever you go, it was the best thing I have ever done for myself. Take care

MNL:p

Back