• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

your children

serenitylove

im asking out ofinterest how many of you have overweight children. iv just been working out my daughters bmi and it higher than it should be iv always comforted myself with food and have now realised iv done the same with her basically setting her up with bad habbitsiv now got to figure out how to correct this without her knowing[i was an overweight child and being put on diets done me more harm than good making me feel i wasnt good enough] have any of you done the same or gone the other way and been over carefull so they dont have same issue's as you have had?

shelbell

Proudly maintaining
I've gone the other way. My son eats an extremely healthy diet and I work hard to include a variety of fruits and vegetables. I cook 90% of his food from scratch and he has packed lunches too.

The only problem is I don't give him any sugar, sweeteners or artificial colourings as he goes hyper on them, which makes him want them so I worry that when he hits teenager years he'll go on a sugar rampage to make up for it!

teen

post op loser
My daughter is a size 10 she is nearly 17 she does eat some crap (pizza, chips, kfc) but will also eat veg salad pasta and the healthy stuff. I wasnt an overweight child and didnt get big till I had my daughter when i put 6 stone on in 9 months. I still have my size 8 jeans from when I was younger

tesmaralda

My daughter was bought up on all fruit and veg and she was doing great until she started school dinners. Now she will only eat mash pasta etc no fruit or veg. I went to the dr for help and he said don't worry dont make an issue of it she will grow out of it. The biggest mistake I made was listening to him as I stopped putting veg on her plate etc and now she won't eat anything. However I have started to correct this and have started blitzing up onions mushrooms, peppers, and carrots in to spaghetti bolognaise. She has veg on her plate for sunday dinner and she is limited to 3 treats a day ( this includes a choice of crisps, biscuits chocolate etc) and as a result now she is taking youghurts to school and eating them. In the summer i know she drops a dress size as she is always out on the trampoline or playing out. However my youngest daughter has never eaten meat or anyform of potato other than the odd oven chip or macky d's as a treat. She used to heave on them when being weaned, she will eat peas, sweetcorn and mushrooms but she will eat any fruit going I have had to put a lock on the fridge because now she can open it no piece of fruit is safe lol. The last time it was a whole punnet of grapes and an apple in the space of half an hour. when the fruit bowl was on the table in my living room she kept tried to eat the whole net of satsumas.

I am trying to correct my daughters eating habits lets hope its not too late.

Loll

Being overweight most of my life I was very careful not to put this onto my kids. They never had sugar, sweets, biscuits-always had healthy never processed food. Although now they eat what they like they are all the right weight/BMI. However, one of my granddaughters is 5 and very overweight no matter how much advice I give about what will happen-all the inevitable unhappy times ahead my son thinks she will grow out of it. Yes we know different.. Already unkind comments are being thrown at her a lot to take at 5.

mermaid2708

new year...new me!x
my sons bmi is considered high (26.16) and in the overweight bracket...he is 5ft 10 and weighs 13 stone exactly. he is 17 yrs old next week and is just muscle from playing sports...he eats loads protein, carbs and fruit, small amount dairy but no veg...hates it! i am not worried bout him at all despite what his bmi is.

Last edited:

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
I have 3 kids 6 4 and 15 months god do i worry
My eldest is underweight she does not even weigh 3 stone but is very active and eats quite healthy, my middle child is in ideal range and looks healthy and has abit of meat on her, my son what can I say he is 15 months he eats food off the floor lol.
My eldest daugher looks like me and i woudl hate to think she will get to 10 and put lots of weight on like i did so I am a bit obsessive but want he to gain weight now as everything looks terrible on her and she is just bone.
I make sure they all have breakfast, either porridge or cereal or toast or teh rice crispy bars
dinner middle and youngest have either sandwich with soup or pizza
eldest has school dinners but does not eat them as she does not like chips so is changing to packed lunches.
for teas it depends on time
it can be something like fishfingers mash and beans or fishpie and veg or meatballs and pasta but my eldest daughters fave is lamb chops boiled potatoes and veg and my 4 year olds is pizza but the onlyplate that they all clear is a roast dinner or bangers and mash.
I do worry that my weight problems will rub off and create problems in the future.
My dad commented a year or so ago how alike me and my eldest were and said oh you will have to watch he she might end up like you. I then looked into wls !
x

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
this reminds me a friend of mine has a daughter the eldest in teh year so is over 7, sh ehas always been the biggest and a wee bit overweight but not fat.
well she does not give her full fat milk and no carbs bread potatoes etc...
she has lost lots of weight but this is not right in my opinion at all, when she is at a party or friends houses she will ask for food and pig out, this is what will happen if you tell a child they cant have something they will crave it and it will come between you.
I think that children who are active can burn off pretty much anything, I dont give my kids sweets except on a saturday night other than that they have yoghurts, I do allowthem chocolate a small bar a day after tea (if they eat it !)
It is hard knowing what to do for the best though x

mintball

my daughter is just coming up six and is just under 4 stone, she is tall and athletic but is classed as OBESE on the Wii fit!!! I don't want her to have the hang-ups i had as a kid and sneak eat. We have an imaginary see-saw in our house and if Maisie doesn't eat all her veg in a day, then we take something out of her next treat.

She usually has one treat a day and if at tea she says i don't want my carrots, we say thats fine but we take some of ur sweets out of ur bag to balance the see-saw...seems to work for now and we never make her eat something she doesn't like but she knows that if her eating hasn't been healthy that day, then ther'll be no treats.

God I hope i'm doing the right thing, but who's to know.

We don't have crisps, choc or sweets in the house, we walk to the shop to buy them if we want them x x x