• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Your Choice??

tazwoz

Hi people, I have been awarded funding for surgery wooo hooo! Now I have been to see my GP he say's that it is my choice to choose where to go, great! but where to start! Any advice on Leeds surgeons, Huddersfield, spire leeds, spire elland? I just don't know where to look! x

Sambucca

congratulations on your funding Tazwoz... Can't offer advice about hospitals or surgeons but Im sure someone from your area will be along soon x

Pandora_150

Finally Post-op!
Hay Tazwoz.

You are really quite lucky as I was not offered a choice of hospitals, even though we are both from Calderdale PCT!

I had to go to Huddersfield. As I haven't been through the entire process yet I am really quite annoyed with Huddersfield at the moment! 1 week before my consultation appointment I get a letter stating that it has been put back a further 7 weeks! I won't see anyone until 16th April.

I do go to Spire Elland for regular checkups for my Thyroid condition though and it really is lovely there!

I am really green with envy at you getting a choice!!!

Cat321

Shrinking
Hi people, I have been awarded funding for surgery wooo hooo! Now I have been to see my GP he say's that it is my choice to choose where to go, great! but where to start! Any advice on Leeds surgeons, Huddersfield, spire leeds, spire elland? I just don't know where to look! x

Hi
I'm not from Leeds but I was sent to Mr Pollard at Spire Leeds through my PCT. I can't say enough good things about him! I had open surgery in July '08, I have a lovely neat scar (which is fading beautifully) and felt totally at ease with him. Totally recommend him 150%! :D

The only other Leeds surgeons I know are Prof Mcmahon at Nuffield I think it is and Simon Dexter who also operates out of Spire Leeds....I'm sure someone will be able to tell you a little more about them.

If you want to ask any more about my op let me know! x

tazwoz

hey pandora, i am sure you have the right these day's to choose where you go? my GP is really up on choice and patient control. I think I will try and refer to mr pollard in leeds, its far but I have heard such good things about him. I am sorry that they have not offered you a choice, maybe if your not happy you could go back to discuss choice of hospital with your GP? About patient choice this link may explain a little more about patient choice... if you have the go ahead for funding i don't see why you don't get a choice? x

tazwoz

Hi
I'm not from Leeds but I was sent to Mr Pollard at Spire Leeds through my PCT. I can't say enough good things about him! I had open surgery in July '08, I have a lovely neat scar (which is fading beautifully) and felt totally at ease with him. Totally recommend him 150%! :D

The only other Leeds surgeons I know are Prof Mcmahon at Nuffield I think it is and Simon Dexter who also operates out of Spire Leeds....I'm sure someone will be able to tell you a little more about them.

If you want to ask any more about my op let me know! x

Hi, can I ask you where you scar is and how big roughly? I was hoping for key-hole but I have just found out that Mr Pollard does not offer it? x

Pandora_150

Finally Post-op!
I do realise now that I am 'suppose to' have a choice. In the last few minutes I have been in touch with both my GP and Huddersfield PALS. The GP who refered me is currently on holiday (typical!) and the doctor who is in at the moment will call me back once clinic hours are over. PALS told me that I should have been given a choice but it may have something to do with Calderdale changing the hospitals they approve for referrals for bariatric surgery. Although I don't think that much could have changed following the weeks between us both being granted funding. I might get more sense from the Doctor though!

If you are wanting to look at waiting times or processes you could try and ring the PALS for the area the hospital is in.

Cat321

Shrinking
Hi, can I ask you where you scar is and how big roughly? I was hoping for key-hole but I have just found out that Mr Pollard does not offer it? x

Hi Taz

My scar is on what I call my 'middle tummy' and it stretches from just under my boobs down to my belly button. It's lovely and neat though and, like I say, fading really well - bio oil is the key!! Having open surgery never worried me, I was just so happy to get Mr Pollard!! I suppose in a way I've grown to love my scar, it's a little reminder of what I had...sometimes I have to see it to remember that yes, I did have a bypass!!! I hope having open surgery doesn't put you off, Mr Pollard is a wonderful man with a fabulous reputation and if I had to do it again I would choose Mr Pollard in a heartbeat!! :D

Ps - just checked the Spire website and it looks like Simon Dexter offers keyhole surgery...perhaps someone on the site can offer more info??

Last edited: