• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1 year post op im worried

cdl

I had my by pass a year ago Feb 12yh it went very well I've now lost 103% of my total weight loss I was so happy then about 3 weeks ago I got pain in my lower back I couldn't eat or go to toilet thinking it was an infection I went to my go who sent me to the hospital after scans and tests they said I had Gaul stones and was constipated gave me pain killers and laxatives which worked after 3 days giving me severe diarrhea now if I Dont use them I get constipated straight away when I do use them everything goes through me like water I can't eat properly I'm in constant pain and exhausted the hospital admit they don't understand my diet and say its because of protein has ne 1 else had ne experience like this oh I've lost nearly a stone in. Just under a week I'm just bones :(

Oh dear I feel you pain. I had gallstones before my op. It was awful. The only way I found to avoid the attacks was to make sure I didn't eat more than 5 grams of fat per 100 grams or 3 grams of saturated per 100 grams. This kept the pain to the minimum. As far as I'm aware gallstones aren't caused by high protein diets, but rather rapid weight loss. I got mine after taking xenical for a year. I had a break from it and then started again and that's when I the pain started. Because of my size I had to wait 2 years before they took my gallstones out but you shouldn't have to do that, especially if you are losing so much weight because of them. I know having another op isn't a pleasant thought but it sounds like you need them gone. Ask to be put on the waiting list to have your gallbladder removed. Best of luck and let us know how you get on x

Thanx Shelly they're not saying the protein caused the stones they saying it causing the constipation and sickness I haven't been able to eat

The high protein diet can cause constipation. But there are many products out there you can try to help with that.

Yeah the hospital gave me loads which work but give me diarrhea I've had no problems until this I healed well everything has been to schedule i lost over 15stone in the year and felt really healthy now I have no energy and feel awful

You could try dulcoease? Dulcolax gives me diahorreah but dulcoease is fine.

Hi

I have had gallstones for many years now. Probably 2004 was the first attack I remember. They were not diagnosed until 2009 though.

I still have them and am nearly a year post op now.

Mine have no set formula for what sets them off. I have followed Atkins several times pre op and it didnt cause attacks. But egg fried rice or another greasy carb sometimes would.

My worse attacks were on a refeed week after doing a meal replacement diet for a few weeks. I ended up in hospital for the night by the 5th night of attacks.

I really hope they help you out soon x

Another vote for Dulcoease, I take one every single day and everything stays nice and soft and goes through without any problems!!!

Hope you feel better soon

I used dulcoease & occasionally fibrogel in a fruit juice. But these days I use senna or senna max depending what I grab as I shop 1 max tab or 2 ordinary a night & it makes life a little easier either that or some liquorice but try to avoid that as its to easy to slip back into old habits of eating sweet things.

Thanx everyone I have used fibre jel b4 but doesn't suit me the dulcoease sounds good so I'll try that 1st especially as it sounds like I can take it over long periods last nite was awful I've managed to eat a small amount and keep it down but get very lite headed and in pain

Hi every 1 just to update things didn't get better in fact worse and ended up back to a&e the consultant at the chelsea and Westminster (who r brilliant) stepped in and got my local hospital to transfer me under his care after tests he confirmed that I have a lot of gall stones and an infection I have been in hospital for a week now and my gall bladder is being removed on Mon my consultant stating rather than me going on waiting lists and undergoing more episodes like this its better just to get it over with so I can get on with my life (wow a surgeon with sense) my goal I have list more weight through this and need to put a bit back on (seems crazy lol) but otherwise I'm in good health :)

Thank goodness for a surgeon with c'mon sense & in this case a quick knife. Glad things are sorted & you're on the mend. A little tweaking if your normal diet will hopefully you'll regain those few pounds you need to & then can start loving the normal & healthy life you'd hoped to pre-surgery.

Thank you I wish I'd used this site b4 but I can b a bit stubborn and think I can do everything myself but it really has helped being able to come on here talking to people who actually do understand what yr going through :)

We all do but you've found us now & someone's always here to offer help, support & encouragement as needed. Admitting you need help is a great strength as much as our determination to do this for ourselves. Stay string Hun, you'll get there, & we're always here.

Gooduck with the op, I too was in for over a week pre removal as water ended up setting off a flare up!.you will feel do much better a couple of weeks post surgery and can get back on the fitness bus rather than the weight loss bus.....we all know they are very different journeys!! Hugs xx

Hi every 1 had my operation to remove my gallbladder which was infected and very distended and full of stones i'm home now with lots of meds and on the road to recovery

Back