• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 weeks post band

daisy123

I had a gastric band 2 weeks ago and my recovery has been uneventful.I have had a 8kg weight loss so far but I have lost up to eight stone only to gain it all so I am not counting my chickens.I am keen to hear what sort of weight loss other people have had with a band.I gained weight because I developed anaemia which meant I couldnt run which i used to keep my weight under control.The bigger I got the more I eat until I decided I needed surgery.I had my operation in Dolan park has anyone else had surgery there.

Welcome to banded life :)

I have lost just over 11 stone with my band and still going. I've just gone 18 months post op. It isn't easy. It can be a battle to find restriction and it takes a LOT of willpower to stick to the portion sizes which can be difficult in the early days and months until your band kicks into working.

I've got band issues with a potential leak and still battling for restriction after 14 fills, but, simply by its placement and my sheer determination that this will work, I'm nearly half the size of where I was when I started :)

I had a gastric band 2 weeks ago and my recovery has been uneventful.I have had a 8kg weight loss so far but I have lost up to eight stone only to gain it all so I am not counting my chickens.I am keen to hear what sort of weight loss other people have had with a band.I gained weight because I developed anaemia which meant I couldnt run which i used to keep my weight under control.The bigger I got the more I eat until I decided I needed surgery.I had my operation in Dolan park has anyone else had surgery there.

Hi Daisy, I had my band fitted at Dolan Park on 5th January 2013, which surgeon did you have? I have lost 2.5 stone since having surgery, would have been more but I put 5lbs on going to Barcelona a few weeks ago. I find the band an aid to help, but you have to work with it, finding restriction is something we are all looking for but I am yet to find it. Hope the recovery is going well x

dolan park

I had Mr Hewlin for my surgery at Dolan park.having my first band fill in Cardiff March 23rd.Had a bit of a wobble Monday night .Hadnt eaten anything and felt like there was something stuck.I couldnt even swallow my own saliva.Vomited about 20 time in 2 hours but it just stopped.I dont know what that was all about I am still on pureed foods with no big lumps.Has anyone else experienced this.

Yes have experienced this many times but not since talking to the dietician at THG, what she told me was that if we do not eat every four hours out band gets tight and causes restriction, especially in the morning as you have probably haven't eaten in 12 hours.

What I do now is have a hot milky drink first thing to open up the band, half hour later I will have breakfast, again half an hour before lunch I will have a hot drink followed by lunch, I find there is a long time before dinner so I will drink a cup a soup, or a banana, or a yogurt, followed by dinner a few hours later. Since doing this it has prevented me being sick or being unable to swallow.

If you couldn't swallow your own saliva, is another matter and it might be that you have too much fluid in your band causing over restriction, do you know what size band and how much they put in during surgery?

Ps. it does get easier xx

Hi and welcome daisy. I had my band fitted at Dolan park over 2 1/2 yrs ago and have gone from 20st 8 to around 9 1/2st (fluctuates by 2-3lbs either side throughout the month). The right level of restriction means different things to different people. For me its about reducing the bulk I eat, but not so much so that I eat only teeny meals. I had my best losses on c 1100-1200 calories a day (losing 2-3lbs pw) and maintain at c 1600-1700 calories a day. Exercise for me is walking. I definitely feel tighter in the mornings and if I go too long without eating. Who would ever think, we would be planning how often and what to eat, rather than thinking of what we cannot eat :rolleyes: there's no reason why the band cannot work for you daisy if you work with it! Best of luck x

Good luck daisy! I was banded 5 months ago today ive lost over 3 and a half stone now and am on my way down to a 4 stone loss! So long as you work with the band and realise its only part of the reason you will lose weight and that about 60% of the work will be down to you, youll do just fine! x x

Thanks everyone I feel a bit more encouraged now.I have had one more episode of vomiting after drinking coffee.Unfortunately it started as I was driving but luckily I had some dog poo bags in the car door and had to pull over and use them.I had 5mls put in at time of surgery so I dont know whether this the cause of it.I just hope it doesnt get worse after my first band fill

Back