• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

4 Days POST-Op and in agony

Fat Again

Hi Guys
I came home yesterday from my Bypass Op and was so pleased to be home, was really emotional and broke down in tears as I got close to home.

I want to thank all of your kind words and well wishes, much appreciated xxxxxxxx

It's been 4 days now since the op and I'm still in alot of pain on my left hand side, is this pain normal, I have not read that anyone else has had so much pain ? I'm taking all my pain killers and medication but it just don't seem to be touching it.

Im having trouble sleeping too because I can;t sleep flat yet or on either sides.

Can someone reassure me that this is normal ?????

P.S I put on stone whilst in hospital - whats that all about !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had a few days pain afterwards to due to the gas they inflate you with escaping, generally in my left shoulder though

Hi Hun

I was in pain for a whole week after my suregry and I couldn't manager the soluble pain killers I was given which made it worse. The night were the worst as I couldn't get comfortable and felt nausia all the time.

It does get better I promise but it does take time and your gonna be emotional too because of the huge trauma your body has suffered. Hang in there I know its hard the first week or so but you'll get thru it.

If you fel your pain is getting too much call your GP and put your mind at rest.

Take it easy, sip your fluids and bare in mind your half way thru the crappy bit now. Another few days and you'll start coming out the other side.

As for the weight gain, don't worry. Its normal for your body to swell, retain fluid etc after surgery. It will soon go. It took 2 weeks for me to start losing weight after the op.

I hope you feel better soon ;)

Don't panic, now take a deep breath and relax ...................

The weight is from all of the IV fluids that they pump into you both during, and after, surgery. I had about 6 litres and it took me a good few days to pee it all out. I was told not to weigh myself straight after surgery as EVERYONE weighs more after their surgery. Give it a week and then weigh yourself again, it'll be great, I totally promise (I am one week post op and I have lost 9 pounds since surgery).

As for the pain, I too had pain on my left side under my boob (I've got droopy boobs) but that is where your stomach is. Your stomach has been dissected and will be very swollen, if your leg had been dissected you know how much that would hurt. How I dealt with it was to just sip, sip, sip and have no sloppies at all. I am day 7 now and the discomfort has nearly gone. I think this happens with everyone, you are not alone.

Hi Hun, sorry to hear you are having a rough time of it at the mo xxx

I too had pain on my left and under my boobs for a week or so after the surgery, paracetamol didn't touch it so the surgeon prescribed me some codeine instead, he said paracetamol often isn't strong enough. The nausea alongside this was awful. When the bruising came out a few days later it was obvious to see why I was so uncomfortable, I still have a faint bruise between my boobs and across my chest even now!

I too weighed myself when I got home and had gained 5lbs, luckily I knew it was just fluids so wasn't worried, within the first week of surgery I had lost this plus a further 10 lbs so don't worry about it.

As others have said if the pain is really intense phone your medical team and they can advise what's best for you.

Best wishes,
Cuppa xx

Hope you're feeling a bit better, it was nearly the end of the second week before I could lie down on my back and side to sleep... It was bliss to get back to normal though.

xx

Hiya

Glad to see your feeling reassured, you just need to try rest up and do as little as possible. Just wanted to agree with what others have said really and to also give you an idea for tryign to sleep. I bought a bean bag from Argos and emptied a third of the beans out of it. then I put it where I usually have about 5 pillows, and put the pillows sort of in a pile on one side of me so I could 'sort of' lean on my side. I slept upright in bed with the beanbag for the first week, by the start of the second week as I began to heal, i would gently slope down until one morning I awoke laying down :D. It took till this week (week 4 post op) to manage to lay on my tum.

Xx

Last edited:
I did that too, we used sofa cushions to prop me up for the first week - I had forgotten that already!!

I had pain everywhere for a few days but it wasnt as severe as you have described - always contact your GP if you have ANY worries that something is not right - its what they are there for.....

Most people put weight on whilst in hospital because of the gas they insert into the stomach during the op.... it will "pass" shall we say ;-) x

I too was in pain and it was trapped wind from all the gas they fill you up with! Hope it goes for you soon and just wanted to say - and welcome home x

congrats on the op being over!!! i was in alot of pain on my left side it was as if someone was holding a red hot poker on my stomach, this lasted for a week and then went quite abit each day as for the sleeping it was 2wks before i could sleep on my side. hope your feeling better.

As i'm 'waiting' i have no idea of the pain you are feeling. I agree with the others if it gets unbearable call your gp see if he can prescribe something stronger... As for sleeping i'm glad i have a recliner ready with my name on for the first few nights at home...

Here's to hoping you feel better soon, and thanks for mentioning the 'wind' whoever did it. I'd very conveniently not told himself about that and now he knows (the shame of a newlywed farting already) tut tut xxx

well done on getting the op over and done with and welcome to the losers bench !!

My main recommendation would be to keep up your fluids and move about a little bit each day, little walk if you can which will help move the wind. As for pain , paracetamol didn't work for me either, and i cannot take codeine, so was given tramadol instead - which would also help you to sleep.

I'm nine days post-op and can just lie flat in bad now (w00t) - it nips a little if I try and lay on my tummy
though :( - can't have everything lol!

Oh, and I also put on 4 lbs after the op but that has gone along with another 7lbs now :)

hi there if it is any consilation I too was in agony 4 days post op in fact I am only just pain free these past 3 or 4 days and sleeping can still be a bit dodgy at times as I sleep on my side and have only just managed it but like others have suggested put pillows behind you as a support i got a spare duvet rolled it up and put it behind my and leaned on that and was so comfortable i went off to sleep in no time and slept for almost 10 hours it was bliss. I am 2 weeks post op and am managing ok now the only pain I have is where my wound is healing but apart from that It is all ok now and I am a happy bunny again so hang in there it is gone before you know it hun and you will be smiling again.

Back