• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Addictions...

fab40

Hi,

Tomorrow is a new day and I am giving up smoking.. Horror I here you say Smoker and Fat!

The last time I lost a lot of weight was when I was 19, I lost 5 stone and even then felt I was too big. I was living on nothing and started smoking..

Now at 38 with many different diets and times of giving up the fags, I am now really trying to get my head and self prepared for my op on the 1st Sept.

first step is to stop smoking, with the aid of the patch and tomorrow is the first day.

I am scared that I am trying to change everything at once but also scared that I am going in for an operation and being a smoker is not good.

I have chosen to have a band because I want to feel fab by the time i am 40, I am 38. I have used food as somthing of a comfort, out of being bored and in some way like an addict, like the cigarettes too.

Taking a decision to have an operation is a serious choice but the hardest work is getting in the mental zone to make the band work and starting to live a healthy lifestyle with out foods that do nothing for me and smoking that is only going to kill me too..

I really want to be a healthy person that likes doing exersise that makes sensible food options and eats sensible portions and feels full.

So the journey starts...

Hope everyone else is doing well and glad to have all of your company on this journey.

Jane xx

Ditto, good luck. Don't think about what you are giving up. Focus on what you are gaining instead :D x

I gave up smoking back in february this year, like you I wanted to be healthy for my bypass surgery, and you won't regret it!! It was the best thing I ever did... Go see the no smoking nurse at your gp surgery, she was a great help to me in the early days..
Good luck xx

Good luck on quitting the fags - I agree with the other laydee go see your no smoking person at ur gps surger - Wishing u all the best. xx

How you doing fab40? I gave up smoking everyday when I saw my surgeon for the first time last November but I had 1 or 2 here and there, especially if I went out for the night. I completely gave up 2 weeks before surgery. It was difficult but I managed. My lungs feel so much better now, it's really added to my over all health along with my bypass. Keep at it, because you will get there and you are going to be so much healthier! Definitely use your GP's non smoking services if you need them. With support you are much more likely to succeed :) x

Good luck. I gave up 11 Feb 2011 and haven't looked back. It is so liberating to not smoke as well as how good you feel. I nibbled on Niquitin lozenges for the first three weeks. One day at a time and count to 50 every time you feel what you think is an uncontrollable urge coming on. Tracey xxx

Good luck Fab. I took me a long time to kick the habit but i got there in the end and you will to. what finally did it was seeing my father die from lung cancer, it was horrible and his cancer was totally due to smoking so that was it. xx

Good luck to you Jane!

I gave up just over 3 years ago, at the news that my mum had terminal lung cancer. Food became my "crutch" even more without being able to smoke and it led me to a huge weight gain to where I am now.

I feel as you do, I hit 40 in September, and while I wont be fit and fab before I hit that 40 mark, I've made a start.

Good luck with giving up, and wishing you the best with your journey too :)

Back