• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Am getting worried

Maura

when i was pre op, i thought the band was the best thing to lose weight. now i am worried there are so many of you that have your fills and still feeling no restriction. i am due by first fill in a couple of weeks, but not feeling as positive as i used to. i am 4 weeks post op and i know i have very little restriction. i have started walking and have just got my wii fit up and running, but i was hoping that the band would be a good restriction when eating. :( i have paid for my surgery and have to pay for my fills.... is there a chance that i wont be restricted :confused: sorry just feeling a bit deflated after reading some posts :(

Wait till you have had your fill,you dont know what is going to happen till it happens!

Go and read the posts where people have done well then :)

Thing is, most places like this, you'll generally find the 'bad' threads. People don't come looking for advice or ideas if everything is 'OK'. They 'generally' post because something is wrong. So naturally, a lot of what you see are bad posts. There will probably be a small minority of people wished they chosen something other than the band. The vast majority will be doing well.

Maura, please do not get despondent. The thing with the band is that it takes time - time to adjust in terms of getting the right restriction and time for the weight to go. It is early days yet and I am sure once you have had your fill you will feel a difference - but be prepared for 2 or 3. I know it is an added expense on top of your surgery. There are lots of successful bandits on here. We will all have our off days when we moan - but try not to dwell on the negatives and think positive.

tranquil x

OK you are barely out of recovery and when the swelling from the op goes down you will get hungry! It's prefectly normal!!!

You may only still be on soft foods or just starting solids...nothing in the band means food (especially soft food) passes through the band with little resistance at all....all pretty normal!

Well done for starting exercise...as for the eating thing..you are worrying too early, trust me

As I keep saying hun, get on a diet plan that allows a decent amount of food and some treats now and then...even with good restriction we have to try to do our bit...there isn't a magic point where the band suddenly takes over and we can go on cruise control.

If you are on solids now, the first thing I suggest is that you check on Mazza's food thread (below my signature) to check the food you are choosing is the right sort of stuff that helps the band work better..... too many soft foods (meals with lots of sauces, cottage pie etc) will just go right down at the moment with no fill in there

If you find a plan that you enjoy whether it's calorie counting, weight watchers, slimming world or Atkins (or whatever suits) you will find you can feel satisfied on the smaller portions of the healthy stuff already.
It will be easier to stick to and as you get more fills you will find that getting satisfied on smaller portions and not getting hungry in between meals happens better as well.

You can explain your fears to your provider and they may give you a more generous fill to start you off well...also note that if it's too much in you will end up getting by on sliders as proper dense food will get stuck...you don't want to be living on ice cream (trust me on that one)

Eat the band friendly healthy stuff and it will help...thats to everyone even without good restriction!

A band has stopped me stuffing myself with huge meals and has meant that when I choose the right foods , I don't get hungry (not hardly hungry at all on the Atkins)

However if you are resting all your hopes on the fill automatically stopping you from eating slider foods and picking at stuff all day you will run into trouble.

Just trying to tell you early because I found all this out by doing everything wrong

Last edited:
I have good restriction have done for since I had my last fill at the end of February, and as long as none of it swills away I wont be needing another one for a long time too come, please dont get disheartened hun I am only ten months out and 12lbs away from goal........................Dont just read about the bad read the good 2 xxx

Hi Maura

There is no chance that you wont feel restricted you already are by just having the band. The trick is to get your head around the rules that will ensure you get the best result with your band ;)

Did your provider give you some guidance on what to eat, if not as Neen says take a look at my tips thread. Also for some inspiration why not read some of the bronze diaries. I have attached a link to mine which goes from coming home from the op upto last week.

http://www.wlsurgery.com/bronze-diaries/90158-my-band-diary-healthy-bmi-under-2-years.html

Dont worry, you will be fine x

right guys have had a wee negative glip earlier this week and got great advice from you so thanks for that. a kick in the butt is what i needed. i am keeping myself active, walking. i am nervous on getting weighed tomoro tho. i have still lost confidence but i know i have to get on with it. i am going to take Mazza and Neen's advice. i have been eating cereal in the mornings, mainly weetabix so i am going to try melba toast. i am still having a wee treat, but i am using my fitness pal on my mobile fone, and i havent been exceeding 1300 calories in any day.....but still nervous to get on the friggin scales tomoro morning,. will keep u posted xx

Back