• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anaesetic - have you experience this?

Linski

Hi all,
As some of you know I had surgery on my leg and ankle last Friday. I was wondering if anyone had had the following after surgery?

I was settling down to sleep rather late as I felt wide awake and during the course of the night I just did not sleep. I had the most awful night and this happened last year with surgery and I thought is was a one off. I am sure it was the reaction to the anaesetic. Basically as son as I lay down I was really aware of the deafening noise (snoring and really,really laboured breathing) I was making.I woke litterally every minute with a start as though I had stopped breathing and I would take an enormous breath in which woke me. After 5/6 hours of this I was so dry mouthed and exhausted but just could not go to sleep. I felt as though I woke andf dropped off hundreds of times and it was a really horrible experience and I am worried what I will be like with my bypass as I am likely to be under for a lot longer.

Just wondered if you had experienced this or knew what causes it. I was thinking a reaction to anaesetic to be honest but its worrying me now.

Linski xxx

Lin, you meet with the anesthetist prior to your surgery... I'd make a list and raise all of these points.

I don't have enough knowledge to answer even after several major ops over the years...

I do however always have a dry throat for a month or so post anaesthetic... and feel an overwhelming tiredness...

I'd discuss it at your pre op review, please don't worry about it, you have enough going on...

Or see if you can get a call back from your hospital where you have been treated or discuss with your GP.

Love and hugs Angel xxx

Hi Linski
Does this ever happen when you are sleeping at home?
From what you describe it sounds like sleep apnoea which is where the soft pallete (back of throat) can obstruct airway when in deep sleep.
Although it might have been due to heavy anaesthetic its maybe worth mentioning to surgical team so it can be investigated and treated before surgery, we have had some patients at my hospital cancelled when anaesthetist thought it might be a possiblity so we now do a questionaire to determine risk when attending outpatient clinic and if score indicates a problem patients are referred for sleep study and if necessary given a overnight breathing support called CPAP, these links might explain better

Epworth Sleepiness Scale

The Epworth Sleepiness Scale

Good luck

Denise

Hi Denise, Thanks for your reply. I am actually due to have a sleep study on April 4th. I have just done the test and scored 21 which is high. When I stop and think about it really it seems like the anaesetic made my normal sleeping patten a 100 times worse and therefore does seem to tie in with sleep apnea and the need for cpap prior to op.

Thanks Denise I have taken your advice and I will mention at my appointment.

Lin xxx

Hi Linski
Glad it was of some help, and it is entirely possible that once you get within a normal weight range the problem will improve significantly or even disappear.
Good luck.

Denise

Hi Lin, I agree with Denise. I had the same symptoms as you and was eventually referred following my caesarian section and uncontrollable BP. The anaesthetic would have had the same effect as alcohol which also makes sleep apnoea worse due to it's relaxing effect on the soft palate of the mouth. It might also be due to the accumulation of a small amount of fluids in the lungs, which happens following anaesthetics hence the need for breathing exercirses post op. Hope you get sorted soon. Have you tried sleeping with an extra pillow or raising the head of your bed with a couple of books to see if this helps.

love and hugs
Rebirthxx

Hi Rebirth, I am going to try the extra pillows tonight to see if that helps. I will be glad when I have been tested for sleep apnea as I am alwyas btired and drop to sleep in meetings and some days have to fight to keep awake at my desk. I frequently have to go into the disabled toilet for a cat nap when really bad. I know it sounds funny but it is embarassing really.
Hope you are well

?Lin xx

Back