• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Any Type 1 Diabetics??

Wibble

Does anyone here have Type 1 Diabetes who's also having or had a gastric bypass operation?? I ask because I'm Type 1 and hopefully having the op, and there's not much info around about how the 2 can and should affect each other,etc., so I just wondered if anyone has personal experience? Thanks, Alex :)

I am type 2 Alex so cant give you much help however the hospital told me that for some reason the bypass op is slowing down some diabetic states and putting many type 2 into full remission.
They think it is something to do with the fact that they are bypassing the duodenum which is the first piece of small bowel that the food enters when leaving the stomach, but not sure why.
I know one of the girls on here who has been on metformin for type 2 has dropped from two to one tab since the op.
I really dont think you will have a problem, but there may be someone along with type 1 who will be able to help you more

Good luck on your journey

Jay xx

hi wibble
i have type 2 diabetes and have to take metformin and glicazade tabs i know that the bypass i am having will quite a differance to my diabetes,notto sure about type 1 though i,m sure some one will be along and put you right pretty soon all the best with the bypass regards steve

i am diabetic but don't know if its type 1 or 2.. whats the difference? sorry i don't have any info coz i just recently found out that i am diabetic.

farzu type 1 diabetes is i belive controlled by insulin injections type2 is treated by tablets and diet also type can be treated by a drug called byetta which is also injected i am sure someone with type 1 will be able to explain better than i though, hope it went well at the docs today girl regards rambo

Yep that's about right!

Thanks for your replies - I can only see a bypass op helping my condition, I just can't find much info on it!

Does anyone here have Type 1 Diabetes who's also having or had a gastric bypass operation?? I ask because I'm Type 1 and hopefully having the op, and there's not much info around about how the 2 can and should affect each other,etc., so I just wondered if anyone has personal experience? Thanks, Alex :)

Hi yes im type1 diabetic and had my bypass at the beginning of April, everything from the milk diet , operation and post op has been very successful. my insulin has been cut right down to 6u/ 3u/6u novo rapid and lantus 12. I was on loads before my op. I will say that you will have to have close contact with your diabetic practiotioner and make sure you check your blood sugars very regularly through the day im doing mine 6 times a day. The really good news is that once the weight comes off the chances are that i will come off injections and be put on tablets. Being type 1 it will never go away. Hope this helps you and please ask me if you have any further questions. xxxx

I am type 2 but here are the differences:-

People can get diabetes at any age. Type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes are the three main kinds. Type 1 diabetes, formerly called juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes, is usually first diagnosed in children, teenagers, or young adults. With this form of diabetes, the beta cells of the pancreas no longer make insulin because the body’s immune system has attacked and destroyed them. Treatment for type 1 diabetes includes taking insulin and possibly another injectable medicine, making wise food choices, being physically active, taking aspirin daily—for some—and controlling blood pressure and cholestorol.

Type 2 diabetes, formerly called adult-onset diabetes or noninsulin-dependent diabetes, is the most common form of diabetes. People can develop type 2 diabetes at any age—even during childhood. This form of diabetes usually begins with insulin resistance, a condition in which fat, muscle, and liver cells do not use insulin properly. At first, the pancreas keeps up with the added demand by producing more insulin. In time, however, it loses the ability to secrete enough insulin in response to meals. Being overweight and inactive increases the chances of developing type 2 diabetes. Treatment includes using diabetes medicines, making wise food choices, being physically active, taking aspirin daily—for some—and controlling blood pressure and cholesterol.

Hi yes im type1 diabetic and had my bypass at the beginning of April, everything from the milk diet , operation and post op has been very successful. my insulin has been cut right down to 6u/ 3u/6u novo rapid and lantus 12. I was on loads before my op. I will say that you will have to have close contact with your diabetic practiotioner and make sure you check your blood sugars very regularly through the day im doing mine 6 times a day. The really good news is that once the weight comes off the chances are that i will come off injections and be put on tablets. Being type 1 it will never go away. Hope this helps you and please ask me if you have any further questions. xxxx

Thank You sooooooo much for this! It's just fantastic to hear all's going well for you and gives me major encouragement. Thanks again, Alex :)

I am type 2 but here are the differences:-

People can get diabetes at any age. Type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes are the three main kinds. Type 1 diabetes, formerly called juvenile diabetes or insulin-dependent diabetes, is usually first diagnosed in children, teenagers, or young adults. With this form of diabetes, the beta cells of the pancreas no longer make insulin because the body’s immune system has attacked and destroyed them. Treatment for type 1 diabetes includes taking insulin and possibly another injectable medicine, making wise food choices, being physically active, taking aspirin daily—for some—and controlling blood pressure and cholestorol.

Type 2 diabetes, formerly called adult-onset diabetes or noninsulin-dependent diabetes, is the most common form of diabetes. People can develop type 2 diabetes at any age—even during childhood. This form of diabetes usually begins with insulin resistance, a condition in which fat, muscle, and liver cells do not use insulin properly. At first, the pancreas keeps up with the added demand by producing more insulin. In time, however, it loses the ability to secrete enough insulin in response to meals. Being overweight and inactive increases the chances of developing type 2 diabetes. Treatment includes using diabetes medicines, making wise food choices, being physically active, taking aspirin daily—for some—and controlling blood pressure and cholesterol.

Thank you very much for this important information.

Back