• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had a Gastric Sleeve?

tango

:)Hi, Just wondering if any of you have had a Gastic Sleeve (for what ever reason) and how you are getting on (weight loss wise).

What surgeon did you have?
Has anyone had Shaw Somers do the sleeve?

My previous surgery may prevent me having a bypass. In Australia they are raving about the sleeve but it doesnt seem to be as common here. Any info would be appreciated.

I'm in the same boat in so far that previous (emergency) surgery might prevent an RNY bypass being performed and it might also prevent a sleeve which means Mr. Sufi will install band as a temporary measure. I'm in the unique position of not knowing what surgery I'm having done until I wake up afterwards!

I think 'Mixman' on here had the sleeve and looks rather good - in a strictly heterosexual way, of course - and someone at the Whittington's WLS Support Group lost 19 stone in 10 months with one so I think results can be good.

Regards, Ade.

Think there are a few sleevers on the forum & they've all done really well.

I was initially wanting a sleeve but they didn't offer it at Chichester & the bypass helps my diabetes into remission. Not sure if Shaw Somers does the sleeve as its not on their website either?

Good luck. xx

I'm a sleever. I've lost just over five stones since surgery (Feb 27th this year). It has been (literally) a life saver for me. My blood pressure came down straight away - pre-surgery I was on five different meds each day and it was still sky high and had been for over eight years. I'm now on the low side of normal. My apnoea has gone. My asthma is much improved as is my arthritic pain (that's never going to go completly). I walked into the hospital with a walking stick and I haven't used it since a week after the op. I exercise at least an hour a day where as I could barely stand before.

I eat healthily and (so far) I've never been hungry.

The person you really want to talk to is Mickie (Mixman) who is the 'poster boy' for how well the sleeve can work.

I am delighted with my sleeve and it truly has given me my life back.

Good luck with your choice x

Oh, forgot to add. I had my op at Charing Cross, but I do know someone who was sleeved by Shaw Somers. x

I've had a sleeve as part of a duodenal switch.

After 18 months I still have really good restriction - I know that sick "you've eaten too much" feeling well - and stop trying to get that last bit in!!

I never really feel hungry - very occasionally a bit empty - and eat to live cos I'd be poorly without the protein

But thats because of the DS not necessarily the sleeve.

I've lost just over 13 stone

Good luck

Angela

i also dont know 100% id i will have a bypass or sleeve ..signed my consent for both

I've had a sleeve and it's been fantastic. Just passed the year mark and I've lost 16st 3lb :)

I had it initially as I was very overweight and it wasn't safe to do a full bypass. I was 31st 12lb.

I'm really happy with it although I have now started to feel hungry. Maybe it's because of the exercise I am doing but I just am eating healthily and exercsng lots and the weight is fine.

I've had a sleeve and it's been fantastic. Just passed the year mark and I've lost 16st 3lb

I'm hoping for a similar result to Mixman here; I started off around 32 stone, 7lb and am now down to around 31 stone just by cutting back a little. I am aiming for a loss of around 15 - 16 stone in a year regardless of whatever method my surgeon uses when I finally go "under the knife".

The aim is to lose the weight and release the caged inner sexy beast :)

Regards, Ade.

Hello there, I also had the gastric sleeve, i started off wanting the band, and the surgeon said the bypass would be better for me, once it's done basically it's done the band can be back and forth trips to hospital having fills etc, so i agreed to do some homework and checked out the sites he told me to look at and decided after the information i found to go for the sleeve as it suited me i thought the best and it sure does, i am into my third week post sleeve and alls good, and this is a brillant site to help with those questions?

I've already been doing the whole "exercise" thing, having joined a gym a year ago and increasing my strength and stamina via swimming accordingly. I'm looking forward to getting to "the other side" of the operation and being able to start on general cardio stuff on bikes, cross-trainer, treadmill and weight-lifting.

Regards, Ade.

hi, i'm a sleever.
i'm so pleased with with mine. i'v lost just over 6.5 stone so far. i can eat anything but only very small amounts.
i have dumped a few times, but that wasn't what i ate, it was because i was eating to fast.

I'm in the same boat in so far that previous (emergency) surgery might prevent an RNY bypass being performed and it might also prevent a sleeve which means Mr. Sufi will install band as a temporary measure. I'm in the unique position of not knowing what surgery I'm having done until I wake up afterwards!

I think 'Mixman' on here had the sleeve and looks rather good - in a strictly heterosexual way, of course - and someone at the Whittington's WLS Support Group lost 19 stone in 10 months with one so I think results can be good.

Regards, Ade.

Thanks so much. Looks like we are in exactly the same position. I think that Mr Somers is going to look to see if he can do a bypass and if not do the sleeve with the band as last resort.

I hope that things work out for you. I am hoping to have my surgery in Aug/Sept this year. Please let me know how you get on and I will also keep posting.

I'm a sleever. I've lost just over five stones since surgery (Feb 27th this year). It has been (literally) a life saver for me. My blood pressure came down straight away - pre-surgery I was on five different meds each day and it was still sky high and had been for over eight years. I'm now on the low side of normal. My apnoea has gone. My asthma is much improved as is my arthritic pain (that's never going to go completly). I walked into the hospital with a walking stick and I haven't used it since a week after the op. I exercise at least an hour a day where as I could barely stand before.

I eat healthily and (so far) I've never been hungry.

The person you really want to talk to is Mickie (Mixman) who is the 'poster boy' for how well the sleeve can work.

I am delighted with my sleeve and it truly has given me my life back.

Good luck with your choice x

Oh my goodness you have done so well, you must be really proud of yourself. I was worried that having a sleeve would be 'second best' but with the results that you have achieved that really isnt the case. I hope that your weight loss journey continues to go well. thanks for replying.

I've had a sleeve and it's been fantastic. Just passed the year mark and I've lost 16st 3lb :)

I had it initially as I was very overweight and it wasn't safe to do a full bypass. I was 31st 12lb.

I'm really happy with it although I have now started to feel hungry. Maybe it's because of the exercise I am doing but I just am eating healthily and exercsng lots and the weight is fine.

You certainly are an inspiration. I do wonder why not more sleeves are done in the UK, they seem to work just as well as a bypass?! I really am very anxious to start my journey and am counting the days.... thanks for replying.

Hello there, I also had the gastric sleeve, i started off wanting the band, and the surgeon said the bypass would be better for me, once it's done basically it's done the band can be back and forth trips to hospital having fills etc, so i agreed to do some homework and checked out the sites he told me to look at and decided after the information i found to go for the sleeve as it suited me i thought the best and it sure does, i am into my third week post sleeve and alls good, and this is a brillant site to help with those questions?

I am so pleased to hear that things are going so well for you and that you are so positive. I hope that I feel the same way after my operation. What made you go for the sleeve in the end and not full bypass?

I do wonder why not more sleeves are done in the UK, they seem to work just as well as a bypass?!

They seem to be used as a "stepping stone" to either a RNY bypass or a DS, although not everyone needs to revert afterwards.

Everyone is completely different, which is why questions like "how long - exactly - will I be in hospital", "will I be able to eat [x]" and "what's the best op for me" don't belong here because no one really can answer that question, they can only give their own opinions and experiences.

The answers to the above will depend on what your food problem(s) were, the general state of your health and how well you tollerate things both pre and post op. No one person is going to be exactly the same as the next, so it's a case of "suck it and see". There's also the fact that each hospital has their own policies, procedures and recommendations.

Moving back to your core question, however, I'd have to say it's probably either a funding issue, technical issue (i.e. they don't have enough surgeons experienced in that particular procedure) or policy issue. As the registrar said to me the other day, there's a distinct lack of long-term data for the DS at the moment and the sleeve seems to also be a more recent procedure so the same situation may apply.

Regards, Ade.

Back