• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Anyone had a Gastric Sleeve?

They seem to be used as a "stepping stone" to either a RNY bypass or a DS, although not everyone needs to revert afterwards.

Everyone is completely different, which is why questions like "how long - exactly - will I be in hospital", "will I be able to eat [x]" and "what's the best op for me" don't belong here because no one really can answer that question, they can only give their own opinions and experiences.

The answers to the above will depend on what your food problem(s) were, the general state of your health and how well you tollerate things both pre and post op. No one person is going to be exactly the same as the next, so it's a case of "suck it and see". There's also the fact that each hospital has their own policies, procedures and recommendations.

Moving back to your core question, however, I'd have to say it's probably either a funding issue, technical issue (i.e. they don't have enough surgeons experienced in that particular procedure) or policy issue. As the registrar said to me the other day, there's a distinct lack of long-term data for the DS at the moment and the sleeve seems to also be a more recent procedure so the same situation may apply.

Regards, Ade.

I think that some of the surgeons dont want to do them either. I had originally seen Guy Slater who works with Shaw Somers and he said that he had been quite outspoken against them as he felt that the bypass was a better option. Having met me and looked at the mess Ive been left in due to previous surgery he could see that there was a place for the sleeve but he was unable to do it through lack of experience so he refered me to Mr Somers. I then went on the web and found a brilliant site for sleevers www.verticalsleevetalk.com you have probably come across is as you are so well informed but I thought that I would mention it anyway.

Tango, I had by sleeve done at the end on Mar as part of the 2 operation WLS but I am hoping that throught the sleeve, a change of life style and being more active that I wont need the 2nd part. If you have a look at my profile you will see that I have got myself in the right mindset as I want to change my life.
Like the others have said Mixxy is the WLS pinup at the moment (he is very helpful too)
Good luck to you on your journey
Bryan

Tango, I had by sleeve done at the end on Mar as part of the 2 operation WLS but I am hoping that throught the sleeve, a change of life style and being more active that I wont need the 2nd part. If you have a look at my profile you will see that I have got myself in the right mindset as I want to change my life.
Like the others have said Mixxy is the WLS pinup at the moment (he is very helpful too)
Good luck to you on your journey
Bryan

Hi Bryan

The change in you is amazing considering you only had the op a few months ago. I too really want to change my life, Im fed up of being on the sidelines looking in and want to enjoy my life more. Hopefully I will get a date soon and I can take the first few steps towards the new me! Thanks for posting.

Back