• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Apologies, but i need advice about constipation

jaynefrances

I've really struggled with constipation since i started my iron supplements. I know that this is exacerbated by dehydration and i am trying to address this (not very successfully) but in the meantime it is very difficult.
My GP prescribed lactulose which i then found out i can't take due to dumping syndrome, so i just went and bought some senna.
I took some again last night and as usual have been in agony with stomach cramps all morning. I'm always like this for a couple of hours and its not always entirely successful (if you get my drift lol !!)
I return to work next week and i'm anxious about this as i can't afford to be in agony and running back and forth to the loo when i'm there.
I'm quite ignorant to what meds are available for constipation as my IBS used to have me in the opposite direction. Does anyone else have similar problems and have you found any more successful medications to take ?
WLS an easy option ? Hope no-one ever tries to say that to me after an episode of stomach cramps !!

Senna is notoriously bad for pain, as it literally forces the bowel to move the poo along, no matter how hard it is. You need something to soften it, I would suggest movicol with docusate. And of course you need to make sure you are eating enough of the right foods, and drinking loads.

I find a nice vegetable curry a couple of times per week helps me :)

Rx

Hi

I've had lactulose thats suitable for diabetics not had dumping and take it when needed

xx

Interesting as I'm now having this problem. Where do you get lactulose? Is it over the counter stuff?

Hey Jayne,

I suffered really badly after my op with constipation and was on 1 Senna a night and that helped but the Senna also gave me stomach cramps. So my surgeon advised to come off the senna and try movical as Senna can also cause a lazy bowel and Movical is a better aid for constipation.

So to get on top of the constipation I phased out the senna whils starting on 3 movical a day then 2 a day then 1 and now im finally off all of them and only take movical when i feel i might be a bit constiapted which isnt often now.

But the best thing I did was increase my fluid to 3 litres a day and that really helps. Also if you like Tea try decaf that also helped me a lot.

Oh also I have been advised by my nurses and surgeons not to take lactulose as it can cause dumping and thats somethin you want to avoid!!!

Hope this Helps!!

I second the recommendation of Movicol, which will soften everything up. You could also try Dulcolax, which gets things moving.
Hope it gets resolved soon.

Dulcolax perls are great.

You may also consider drinking this from time to time as prevention:

slimatee.jpg

available at Holland & Barratt.

Water water water. I soooo suffer with constipation! Water water water! x

Movicol is def the best as there is no rush to the loo like when u take a laxative. Get them from ur doc and they will work within 24 hrs.
I suffer from chronic constipation as i take opitate medication but since my op its even worse so movicol def does the job.

Glycerin is cracking if you are impacted - but I also forgot to mention the way you sit...it may sound daft but it bloody works! If you are trying to go...put something under your feet to raise them so you are in more of a crouch. Its opens your bowels easier and is a more natural position.

The natural way to sit on the toilet can help to heal constipation and hemorrhoids

it really works! along with more water water water!

Do try the lactulose. I dump easy but I dont dump on this. I also sometimes use movicol when things are worse. Another thing is to eat something a little fatty as this with your bypass can clear things up. I sometimes do this as a first line treatment. I just have some light philly on a couple of crackers and it works.

Back