• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

post op constipation!!

yasmine-samara

Hi guys,

I have had an awful time this morning with constipation. I know I need to try and drink more and the meds don't seem to be helping. The only thing I have done differently is have a protein shake over the last 2 days. Do you think this could be the cause?

I feel like my poor bum is bruised from trying to go this morning!! :cry:

I have been take liquid senna 15ml everynight since I came home and I even took some more this afternoon but I'm still feelng uncomfortable.
Without going into too much detail....its there but I can't get it out and I'm a bit scared to try cos I was agony this morning.
Help!!!
Any suggestions?

Hiya yasmine-samara,
So sorry your struggling lol and I know its not funny at all, I had the same problem and I used the senna tablets, but had to take 4 to finally make me go, I think its because they are a natural product. Sorry I can't help any more but maybe double the sachet to 30ml and see if that helps.
Good luck (((Hugs))) x

My Dr gave me movicol and gylisarine suppositries as I was that compacted Dont suffer go see you GP and get some stronger stuff

I have got some glycerin suppositories but worry that I wont be able to get them in cos it feels so solid and painful. Plus I would have to get OH to do it cos I'm still too sore on my tummy to reach round that far!!
oh joy!
What a topic hey!!

I was 15 days post op before I finally went. Had to get lactalose (sp) in the end. It felt so much better after.

I think lactulose is ok for banders but no so good for bypessers cause of the high sugar content

I have got some glycerin suppositories but worry that I wont be able to get them in cos it feels so solid and painful. Plus I would have to get OH to do it cos I'm still too sore on my tummy to reach round that far!!
oh joy!
What a topic hey!!
Hope you get some relief soon - just take care. Sending you hugs with fairy dust to move that bowel lol

Yup try the things already suggested, and remember the first time is the hardest, no pun intended, afterwards you will find things settle down to normal, you might need to take the meds for a few days after just to ensure its ok

Yasmine get some enemas from your GP. I was in the same position the other week, and the glycerine supps didn't work for the reason you described. Enema worked in 5 minutes though :)

Also, get some benefibre, and start having 2 teaspoons a day every day, which will help keep you regular.

i had my op 5 days ago.
m nurse said to take lactulose.
I only took 1 5ml spoonfull today (not the 3-6 it states) and i went about 3 hours later :)

.x.

Hiya,
Poor you , I had exatly the same happen to me a week ago, hadn't been since my op and felt like going 12 o clock midnight and was stuck on the loo, stairs, bath everywhere trying different positions to get it out!! So painful, never want to go thru that again. I took a pile of lactulose, had a hot bath and a hot coffee and a fag (I don't smoke by the way) and it eventually came out! But with great pain. I had to have haemorroid spray the next day as could hardly walk!!!! Still having bad constipation so am trying to drink lots but its so hard. Have taken a laxative today as haven't been for a few days again. Its all so undignified isn't it!!!!

It certainly is!!
I have been weening myself off my meds 'cos the codeine bungs you up. Managed to only have one lot of painkillers so far today. Been trying to drink more too.
I can't drink another of those protein shakes - they are making me gag something wrotten. I think its the texture and they fill me up too much and stop me being able to eat.
I ordered some of the liquid protein shots today as an alternative. A bit pricey but you get what you pay for At least I can put it in a bit of juice if I don't like them by themselves.

Constipation post-op can be really bad as it is one of the side affects of Morphine.

Back