• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Appalling Weight Loss From Day One After Op

PinkyButtonz

I am now days away from being 4 months post op.

Since I've had the op I have been very disappointed in the weight loss. I have spoken to the Bariatric Nurse, Dietitican and Consultant. From what they are saying I am doing all the right thing. I know I need to increase my activity. Which is difficult because I have a disablity, but am moving more than what I was before the op.

I lost 21lb on my pre-op diet :), but after my 3 week post op weigh in I had only lost 9lb :(. The poor weight loss has continued. I have only lost 2st (need to update ticker) in total since the day of my op :mad:.

I expressed to the consultant that I have felt I have been able to comsume more that I felt I should be able to. I just got the response not to compare myself to others. Revision surgery was discussed, but wouldn't be consider till after 12 months post-op. I'm concerned by the amount I can eat now, what will I be like in 6 or 12 months. I still have 6-7st to lose and at this rate I'll never get there.

I am also losing my hair at an alarming rate. I expected some loss to degree, but not so soon and not so much. I lost my hair on a VLCD but that was after I'd lost 4-5st.

I apologise now as I don't want to offend anyone, I know people mean well but I really don't want to hear that 2st is good after 4 post op. I think I'm the only one on the board that has done so badly from the start.

Sorry just had to vent weeks and weeks of frustration.

Last edited:
what op did you have? band or bypass?

.x.

Bypass

if it helps, i can tell you exactally what i had lost and how much (in grams) i was eating at that point so you can see if you really are eating more... but i would say, that some people can and there were always days i could eat more or less than other days

.x.

Thanks, I'd be grateful for any hints or tips etc.

Hi Pinky
Good to see you but i'm sorry you are having a frustrating time. I definatley do think the more you have to lose the quicker it comes off in the beginning( i have 9 to 10 stone to drop) so i have been fairly fast but i'm also nearly 7 months post op. I'm glad you have spoken to your team and i hope they are going to continue to support you. It sounds as if they are happy with what you are doing. I wish i could say something to make it better for you, i have no doubt you will get there it may just take a bit longer. Don't get disheartened you are not alone we will be here to help. Try to get as much fluid in as possible and concentrate on high protein foods and if it helps start posting your daily food intake on here and we can have a look at it with you. Sending hugs full of positive vibes for you xx

Aww Pinky am feeling your pain! I would feel exactly the same as you! But you are still losing even be it slowly and you have addressed it with your team.

I'm with Allie i think you should start a post of what you are eating and also the amounts of what you are eating and the amount/types of drinks you are having.....

Sending you hugs xxx

Hi Pinky,

Sorry to hear you are finding things tough hun. I hear what you say about not wanting people to say you are doing Ok, and honestly - I would be disappointed with 2 stones loss at 4 months so can empathise with how you are feeling.

Does your disability mean you are not very mobile at all hun? Are you able to get any exercise? Also, maybe you could post what you are now eating in a typical day so we can give you our opinions. Are you drinking enough? Are you taking any medication that could affect your weight loss?

Thats all I can think of for now.

at 4 months post op i was eating at max 250g at a time, a usual day looking like this:

muller light (about 3/4 of a 200g pot)
goulash (130g mainly meat)
wafer thin ham 2 slices, dried fig.

snacks:
fig
orange

I had lost about 5 stone, including 11 lbs on the pre op.

some days i was only managing 2 meals a day and a few snacks. But i also used to throw up quite often. I had a problem with going to the loo, i used to only go once every 3 days!

I tried to get my protein in by eating babybels or having cheese with my main meal, 10g of it grated, and usualy half fat.

I found chicken in sauce, like a homepride one, easy to eat, and things like mince, when in a home made chilli sauce, or gravey.

if you need to know anyuthing else about what i was eating, or want any more example days, feel free to ask.

Im not saying it will be right for you, but it was working for me.

Oh at that point i started to use my cross trainer, usually trying to burn 100 cals atleast a day.

I had good and bad days.

So if you count your pre op, as i do, your not that far behinde where i was, and i weighed more which always means you loose more faster.

WHat is your food like daily? how much do you eat? how many cals? how much protein etc etc

.x.

Hi Allie,

I understand what you are saying, but I first saw the consultant I was over 20st (288lb). He asked me to lose 7kg (14lb) before he would do the op. The day of my op I was still over 18st.

Thanks for the suggestion about posting daily what I eat. I've bought some protein shakes and will start to keep a food diary.

Pinkyxx

Hi Pinky
Good to see you but i'm sorry you are having a frustrating time. I definatley do think the more you have to lose the quicker it comes off in the beginning( i have 9 to 10 stone to drop) so i have been fairly fast but i'm also nearly 7 months post op. I'm glad you have spoken to your team and i hope they are going to continue to support you. It sounds as if they are happy with what you are doing. I wish i could say something to make it better for you, i have no doubt you will get there it may just take a bit longer. Don't get disheartened you are not alone we will be here to help. Try to get as much fluid in as possible and concentrate on high protein foods and if it helps start posting your daily food intake on here and we can have a look at it with you. Sending hugs full of positive vibes for you xx

I have Lupus and chronic back pain. I am more mobile that before the op, but am still limited. I plan to start swimming soon.

I do take steroids, but in a very small dose (5mg). I use to be on the maximum dose (60mg) and had the worst side affects increase appetite and weight gain. Anything over 12-15mg increases my appetite, but I have been fine on the lower dose. I did the pre-op on the lower dose with no problems.

Water is fine.

Hi Pinky,

Sorry to hear you are finding things tough hun. I hear what you say about not wanting people to say you are doing Ok, and honestly - I would be disappointed with 2 stones loss at 4 months so can empathise with how you are feeling.

Does your disability mean you are not very mobile at all hun? Are you able to get any exercise? Also, maybe you could post what you are now eating in a typical day so we can give you our opinions. Are you drinking enough? Are you taking any medication that could affect your weight loss?

Thats all I can think of for now.

The only thing I weigh is my breakfast. I think I'll give it a go at weighing all my meals. Anything to get this weight moving. I never count calories.

30g Porridge and semi skimmed milk
Ryvita mini and low fat cream cheese
chicken and veg casserole

Snacks
banana and low fat soya natural yogurt or a piece or half fat cheese

at 4 months post op i was eating at max 250g at a time, a usual day looking like this:

muller light (about 3/4 of a 200g pot)
goulash (130g mainly meat)
wafer thin ham 2 slices, dried fig.

snacks:
fig
orange

I had lost about 5 stone, including 11 lbs on the pre op.

some days i was only managing 2 meals a day and a few snacks. But i also used to throw up quite often. I had a problem with going to the loo, i used to only go once every 3 days!

I tried to get my protein in by eating babybels or having cheese with my main meal, 10g of it grated, and usualy half fat.

I found chicken in sauce, like a homepride one, easy to eat, and things like mince, when in a home made chilli sauce, or gravey.

if you need to know anyuthing else about what i was eating, or want any more example days, feel free to ask.

Im not saying it will be right for you, but it was working for me.

Oh at that point i started to use my cross trainer, usually trying to burn 100 cals atleast a day.

I had good and bad days.

So if you count your pre op, as i do, your not that far behinde where i was, and i weighed more which always means you loose more faster.

WHat is your food like daily? how much do you eat? how many cals? how much protein etc etc

.x.

Hi Pinky, I was also a slow starter I still am at times. I have started a thread called "Eating Plan" your quite welcome to tag along if you wish. On a a bad week I lose about 2lb per week and on a good week perhaps 4lb per week. We are all unique therefore we lose the Lbs different from some who lose lots of Lbs. The conclusion is : Every Lbs you lose is a bonus and hopefully wont ever come back, but unfortunatly the game is a waiting game and patience plays a big part. After all its took a long time for us to get big therefore it could also take some time to get rid. I also think that the winter months is the hardest for cutting down our food intake so roll on the summer Lol. You will do fantastic I know you will. Kindest regards Gail xx

Hey Pinky. I have lupus too and am disabled by pain etc. I have done very little exercise along the way. I tried to start around 4 months post op, tried taking up jogging etc, but failed miserably as it just made my pain worse. Anywho, the point of what I am saying is that you shouldn't necessarily need to exercise, if the surgery and diet is right the weight should come off regardless.

Hi Pinky, I like you am a slow loser and stalled for nearly a month 4 weeks post op. The only thing that started my weight loss again was drinking drinking drinking - this also helped my constipation. I still think I eat quite a lot and worry about it but although my weight loss is a trickle I'm just keeping at it and will get there eventually. The really weird thing is even when I haven't hardly lost anyweight (maybe 1lb that week) my clothes are definitely loser and people comment that I have lost more weight - so try not to be too hung up on the scales they can lie! I feel for you and it can be really frustrating seeing others losing stones in weeks.

I know you said you didn't want to be told 2 stone over 4 months is good - but it is weight off - and presumably you aren't gaining.

My WLS dietician told me that if one loses 2lb a week thats over 7 stone over a year - and in any case any loss over 2 lb a week means the body is no longer losing fat but beginning to lose muscle mass instead and is too much loss.

Yes I have lost more than 2 lbs some weeks - and up until recently have lost something most weeks - I too am disabled and get very little exercise - and had a different op

But I would have been happy with 2 st in 4 months - its nearly 2lb a week!! I would never have lost that much pre-op and kept it off

Keep positive

Angela

Back