• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

B12 injection

J-Mo

I had mine today but the nurse said she thinks I have to have a 'top up dose' which consists of me having 6 injections over a course of 2 weeks!!

I just thought I had to have one every 3 months. Nurse said I have to speak to my GP to get him to check.

Anyone got any info?

Are you anaemic? I think they suggest this (the top ups) if your blood levels are low. So far I've just had the 3 monthly one. It stings like a bee doesn't it?

I had mine today but the nurse said she thinks I have to have a 'top up dose' which consists of me having 6 injections over a course of 2 weeks!!

I just thought I had to have one every 3 months. Nurse said I have to speak to my GP to get him to check.

Anyone got any info?

My mum was the same after her Bypass. She now has to have them every month and has side effects if she doesn't have them, and also has to top up sooner than expected sometimes too.

Sorry, that's prob not a lot of help x

Are you anaemic? I think they suggest this (the top ups) if your blood levels are low. So far I've just had the 3 monthly one. It stings like a bee doesn't it?

I'm not anaemic, well not that I know of anyway as I've not have my bloods taken. I just booked up at the treatment room at my GP's to have my injection & the nurse mentioned about these 'top up doses'!!??

I'd been told the injection was very painful 'cos it has to go right into the muscle blah, blah, blah!! I'm totally needle phobic so was in right state by time I had the injection, so I didn't feel a thing!! Ha, ha

My mum was the same after her Bypass. She now has to have them every month and has side effects if she doesn't have them, and also has to top up sooner than expected sometimes too.

Sorry, that's prob not a lot of help x

Yes, it least I know I need to speak to my GP to see if I need the top up doses.

Thanks ;)

well in that case I don't understand. I certainly haven't been told to have top-up doses. Lucky you not feeling the injection!

well in that case I don't understand. I certainly haven't been told to have top-up doses. Lucky you not feeling the injection!

I'm as tough as auld boots me ;)

The nurse was adamant I needed them as he said its builds up the B12 in our system then we just need topping up every 12 weeks. I think I'll cry if I have to have 5 more over the next 2 weeks. :cry:

Certainly not what SRH recommend as far as i'm concerned Jacci.

Ive not had this injection, Im at the hospital on Friday though so maybe they will give it me then?
Hope you dont have to have all those top ups Jacci :eek: X

Shouldn't she have checked your bloods to see what you need 1at?

I had one at my first check up and will get another next month when i go back.Mr Ammori told me one every three months, ive not had a blood test done yet.

ive just been told every 3 months, ive had 2 now and non of them hurt at all, the nurse who does mine does them very very slowly, and i honestly havent felt a thing. as for top up doses, i havent been told anything, but to be honest jacci hun, you might be better off having them, as at least you know you wont be anaemic, hugs xxx

I have never had any B12 injections and queried it with my GP. Apparently B12 is vital for women during our fertile years which is why they prescribe it post-op but once we're post menopausal we don't need it. I wish someone had explained this to me earlier !

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Funny enough i had to see my gp yesterday and he mentioned my B12 as i'd told the consultant at my last check up that i was going to get him to give me one.. He didn't have any left in stock so gave me a script for 10 ampoules... i looked horrified he told me 5 were for me and the other 5 for his stock lol...

I do know we have to have top ups, i think this is our 3 month jab that is our top up. B12 is really hard to build up once your levels get low so they try and keep them well maintained....

There's definitely more to this weight loss surgery malarky than comes to mind...

I've never had one either and im 19 months post-op! And i'm not post-menopausal either! xxx

I've never had a B12 injection either and I'm not menopausal. Think I'll check with my team about this.

Thanks everyone. I'm waiting for my GP to get back to me. My dietician wrote to my GP telling him what medication I needed & also advised I needed B12 every 3 months.

Good luck Jacci and hope you are feeling better today.

Why is B12 only given post menopausal Rose? Does anyone know please? I would have thought there was an advantage for everyone to have this post bypass? Forgive my ignorance... I'm continually learning from you all. Thank you.

Love and hugs xxx

Anyone got any info?

I had to have mine like this at first, it is a pain and really annoying having to visit the GP so much - I broke out in spots after the course !!!!

Its back to one every three months now.

xx

Back