• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

B12 injections, suppliments etc........

everpositive

Hi y'all,

Went to the docs yesterday for my B12 injections. I had no idea it was just a 12 week thing and thought it was daily intake like the blood thinning ones we have to take for the week after the op. So, as you can imagine I was shocked when I got the prescription home, to see it was just a load of little cardtridges with no needle attached. Have now made an appointment to see the practise nurse to have it done on Monday. Didnt have this explained to me at all before I left the hospital?!?!?

Also, the sheet I have been given about the multi vits and other supps all direct me to boots for their brand. Does it need to be Boots??

Finally, didnt realise I was so low on my fast tabs and didnt get a prescription from the doc for more. Dont think I've enough to see out the weekend. Is there something you can buy over the counter with the same active ingredients that is the same? :confused:

Many thanks fellow min'ers xx

Hi, Claire,
Sorry, can't help with your vit. question, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.
Have seen the magazine article - well done. Can I ask you a question about it? In the box 'What's the difference?' it says that the gastric bypass is usually irreversible. I didn't know that there was anything that could be done to reverse the procedure. Is it reversible, do you know?

Hi y'all,

Went to the docs yesterday for my B12 injections. I had no idea it was just a 12 week thing and thought it was daily intake like the blood thinning ones we have to take for the week after the op. So, as you can imagine I was shocked when I got the prescription home, to see it was just a load of little cardtridges with no needle attached. Have now made an appointment to see the practise nurse to have it done on Monday. Didnt have this explained to me at all before I left the hospital?!?!?

Also, the sheet I have been given about the multi vits and other supps all direct me to boots for their brand. Does it need to be Boots??

Finally, didnt realise I was so low on my fast tabs and didnt get a prescription from the doc for more. Dont think I've enough to see out the weekend. Is there something you can buy over the counter with the same active ingredients that is the same? :confused:

Many thanks fellow min'ers xx

Hiya. I don't have answers for all you questions but I do for some. As for the B-12 shots, I have not been given any and from what I have heard other say, if they are required they are given every 3 months. Not sure about 12 weeks so you should ask them to explain it to you. You should be able to use any brand you like for you vits/supps as long as they are the same dosages as the recommended brand. My surgeon (Mr. Ammori) wrote a letter to my gp requesting my vits/supps be given on prescription so you could always ask about that. I did a google on fastabs and it is a 'proton pump inhibitor' and no OTC antacids have the same formula, sorry. You will have to get that prescription.

HTH,
;)Nic

Hi, Claire,
Sorry, can't help with your vit. question, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.
Have seen the magazine article - well done. Can I ask you a question about it? In the box 'What's the difference?' it says that the gastric bypass is usually irreversible. I didn't know that there was anything that could be done to reverse the procedure. Is it reversible, do you know?

Yes, the gastric bypass is technically reversable because the bypassed intestines and the partitioned stomach are still inside your body. It is very rare that anyone would have it reversed and usually only for severe medical problems/complications caused by the bypass. They would remove the staple line between you pouch and the rest of you stomach, and then re-attach the intestines in their original configuration with minimal tissue removal.

Nic:p

I was n't given any B12 shots or told I would need them. My surgeon requests bloods every time I see him which is roughly every four weeks and if I'm defficiant in anything then he would either write to the GP and ask for him to prescribe what I needed or would give me a hospital prescription.

All my suppliments and Vitimans that are needed are on prescription for me cause my surgeon gave me a list of everything I needed.

I was having terrible trouble with my iron though as it was giving me terrible constipation and my doctor recommended a water that you can buy from Holland and Barrett and it has lots of minerals etc that you need in it including iron. Its not availible on prescripton though but for me I think it will be worth it as I'm not able to tolerate the usual iron tablets. I have n't bought it yet but I'm going to try it. Its called Floradix Liquid Iron Formula and costs £8.29.

Holland and Barrett - Product details for Floradix Liquid Iron Formula

Hope I don't get shot for that LOL

Alia

Like PH i get my vits on prescription, which cuts down the thought process and costs, if you dont or have to buy your own you can get them anywhere, but look at the dosages and whats in them and compare with what your required to take !
I've only had one B12 shot so far, but it was no hassle and painless, in fact i have the B12 ready in my fridge for my next one as the first was a bit of a palarva getting the prescription, then getting the B12 from the chemist and then going back to the clinic to have the shot admistered.
my organisations a bit slicker nowdays and i get the stuff in advance and store it.

The B12 is the only one really you cant afford to go without, some people dont need it, but most do and the consequences of B12 definciency are nasty, so in my opinion its better to have it and not need it than risk long term nerve damage !

Like Alia, as we have the same surgeon, i was never told about any B12 infections, and therefore haven't had any.
I've been back once for a follow up, and had blood tests, got a letter through the post today and was told my folate is low and have to get some tablets.

I havent been told of b12 injections was given fast tab,multi vit and Adcal-d3 which are calcium when I left hospital and 7 protein drinks They sent a script request to my doctor for more protein drinks

I get all mine on script and was told that when i go back for a check up with the endocrainologist in march he will check my B12 levels. It is particularly important for woman who still menstrate to have their B12 and iron levels checked

i have had no injections. just have my one a day chewable vit containing 100% rda of all a-z's. i am going to be having bllod tests every three months for the first year, every 6 months for the next year then yearly. i am having then done at my gp surgery and the company i went with will reinburse them for the costs...it saves me traveling over an hour each way to the nuffield for them whuch i am really greatful for.

Just in case anyone's interested in vitimin B12 i'v dug this out !

Vitamin B12's primary functions are in the formation of red blood cells and the maintenence of a healthy nervous system. B12 is necessary for the rapid synthesis of DNA during cell division. This is especially important in tissues where cells are dividing rapidly, particularly the bone marrow tissues responsible for red blood cell formation. If B12 deficiency occurs, DNA production is disrupted and abnormal cells called megaloblasts occur. This results in anaemia. Symptoms include excessive tiredness, breathlessness, listlessness, pallor, and poor resistance to infection. Other symptoms can include a smooth, sore tongue and menstrual disorders. Anaemia may also be due to folic acid deficiency, folic acid also being necessary for DNA synthesis.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]B12 is also important in maintaining the nervous system. Nerves are surrounded by an insulating fatty sheath comprised of a complex protein called myelin. B12 plays a vital role in the metabolism of fatty acids essential for the maintainence of myelin. Prolonged B12 deficiency can lead to nerve degeneration and irreversible neurological damage. [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]When deficiency occurs, it is more commonly linked to a failure to effectively absorb B12 from the intestine rather than a dietary deficiency. Absorption of B12 requires the secretion from the cells lining the stomach of a glycoprotein, known as intrinsic factor. The B12-intrinsic factor complex is then absorbed in the ileum (part of the small intestine) in the presence of calcium. Certain people are unable to produce intrinsic factor and the subsequent pernicious anaemia is treated with injections of B12. [/SIZE][/FONT]

When I last saw my GP about something unrelated he has marked it in the computor that I have all blood tests run in March to see if I am needing anything, only if it shows I need the B12 will it be prescribed. Each doc appears to be different. I was also lucky enough for my GP to prescribe the vitamins etc and its all covered in my pre payment certificate so costs next to nothing....xx

I just double checked my letter from Mr. Ammori to my GP and Mr. A requires a blood test every 6 months for B12 levels and then prescribes it if needed. If prescribed, he requires a follow-up test in 3 months to confirm levels.

It seems so weird & random that even other people who had Dr. A have different instructions for follow-up. Another thing that puzzles me is the information sheet he handed out at my pre-op meeting said that follow-up would be carried out monthly for the first three months and then every three months in the first year. I will be 3 months in a few days & I have had an appointment once at 6 weeks and didn't even get to see him (saw a dietician). Nobody has even ever looked at my wounds! I am starting to get a little disturbed by this!

Nic my understanding of the situation for us is that we were seen 6 weeks post op and then would be seen my Mr News team for futher follow up appointments. As Mr A is the surgeon it is unusual for them to be involved after post op unless there is ongoing problems. I was meant to see Dr New 12 months after my original consultation which would be June that was moved forward to Jan and has now been put back to March(one of Dr News registras came up to see me the day after my op) i have my blood sheets from june and have to go and have them done the week before my appointment.
Maybe this is something we can check on wednesday at the support group.

CU tomoz
carole

I think the only reason my GP is running my full tests in March is I have regular checks due to the tablets I take for my blood pressure. Nic I would not worry too much, but contact his secretary just to clarify things. xx

This is an interesting debate - i dont think you can be do yourself harm taking B12 if you dont need it, but given that we malabsorb and our main source of B12 is from foods, its therefore highly likely we are going to be B12 deficient !
Its also my belief that its only long term that you will suffer, being low on B12 for 6 months shuldn't do damage, however going without it longerterm may be an issue if your deficient !

I last saw my consultant at 3 months post op, and actually rather than seeing him i saw the practice nurse and talked to her, at the end she asked did i really need to see him and i said no, she'd answered all my questions and was happy with my progress, so i couldn't see the point of wasting his time for him to tell me the same again. I have my blood test booked for mid Feb where i'll then be 6 month post op, from that they should be able to see if i'm deficent in any of my vits.

Like a lot of you, i to had Basil Ammori do my op, but i'm actaully under a different consultant in London who i see and who looks after my aftercare, Mr Ammori is a busy man and i think this may be why its difficult to see him or your appointments get bumped !

your right ss i only saw him at my post op because i mentioned to the upper GI nurse that my skin had become very itchy. she said she would check with him as he wa only seeing patients with issues. he came into see me and was his lovely self and advised thatthey changed my antacids. When i go back to dr news clinic im not expecting to see him but would like to see him just to say thanks.

Well, it seems that they say one thing and do something else. My appointment w/ Dr. New was also supposed to be a year from my last appointment. I still have the appointment and it is for April, I will be 6 months by then with one follow-up at 6 weeks. It also seems crazy that I have basically had no aftercare. No tests run, no wound check, nothing. I really feel let down and had hoped for a little more support from the team if not Mr. A himself.

You better believe I will be asking about it on Wed!

Nic

B12 deficiency can lead quite quickly to a type of psychosis (it has a name but I can't remember it). I asked my surgeon if instead of having 3 monthly B12 injections I could have my levels checked regularly and only take it if needed. He flipped out lol and said absolutely no chance as it wasn't worth the risks. So I have mine 3 monthly and they are free at my local GP.

I had my bloods tested at 6 months for Kidney function, Liver function, FBC and B12 levels and by Haemoglobin was too high so am no longer taking iron supplements, and will have this re-checked after 1 month incase i need to take some iron but not the full dose.

Monitoring is vital post op because vitamin/mineral deficiencies just aren't worth the risk.

Back