• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bad Breath on Milk and Yogurt

sarahrob

Bit of an odd question, but has anyone else found the milk and yogurt diet gave them bad breath? No matter how often I clean my teeth, my breath reeks!:ashamed0005:

Yes - it's because you've gone into ketosis. Make sure you're drinking plenty of water or nas squash as well

Thanks Yvessa! I'm drinking heaps of water and lemon and ginger tea. I tried mint tea today but it didn't make much difference to the pong!

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do about it on Pre op and you might get it occasionally post op, especially until you can eat more, especially carbs. It's like an awful sweet smell and I've been very self conscious of it in the past. You are allowed sugar free gum on pre op so that might help a bit. The good thing about ketosis is it means you are doing it right! it's all part of the process and it will help you lose weight which is a nice side effect. It also takes the hunger away so it's all a good sign. Unfortunately your teeth feel rubbish but it's worth it, your liver is shrinking :)

Thanks Yvessa! I'm drinking heaps of water and lemon and ginger tea. I tried mint tea today but it didn't make much difference to the pong!
To be honest there's really not a lot you can do - its just one of the side effects :/ it does get better - I don't get it now.

I too had the same my gp told me to brush my tongue as well as myteethand use mouthwash. she said there was a spray she could prescribe if it didnot settle down once on solid foods. plenty of fluids also does help. eleven weeks post op its all a thing of the past so just soldier onits just a means to an end good luck

Back