• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Band Trouble

A.Positive

He all. A friend of mine has her band fitted 6 months ago and since then she has been vomiting after every meal. Some times he can't catch it in time and she is sick at the table; the poor thing.

She has the procedure done privately and sadly, she didn't really do much research before hand. I only wish I had known this was her plan, I would have told her off. Made her look into everything!

I have told her I don't think this constant vomiting is normal, even at this stage. Is it? Will it calm down a little later on?

I would say without hesitation your friend needs to get in immediate contact with her care team and get this issue seen to.

Even without doing initial research there is no reason she should not be able to keep food down six months later. The long term damage of continual vomitting is immense.

There are a number of reasons she could be vomitting so she must go and see her surgeon/ care team.

Totally agree. Constant vomiting is not a good thing. It could be signs of lots of things ... It could be too tight, it could have slipped, she could be eating too much/too quickly. Irregardless of anything, the vomiting can cause serious damage if prolonged. She needs to get on the phone to her support team!

She won't be told. I have tried over and over again and I posted here with a tiny hope that someone would tell me it would all settle down.

Perhaps showing her your responses will make her open her eyes!!

Thank you.

it is unlikely to settle down because it sounds as if there is a problem / issue with the band. Vomiting means something is wrong and if she continues she could face severe complications, slippage etc which could make things worse.

Struggling along and suffering is NOT what the band is about, but her provider is there to help and resolve this, it could be something so simple as it needs some fluid taken out, but unless she finds out, she won't know.

She needs to contact them ASAP, but if she won't be told then so be it, she will unFortunately find out the hard way. :(

is she loosing weight this way is that why she doesn't want to go back to her team? its either too tight or slipped but the more she is sick the more tight she gets its a circle that cant resolve itself she is also if constantly vomiting at the same risk as bulimics or maybe she is slightly bulimic and gets a high from vom iting like this whatever it is someone needs to give her a proper talking too that she either has gts help from her bariatric team or a mental health team

A few months ago she had a major complication which is why I am am shocked she is letting this continue. Her bad was so tight that she almost died and she demanded that it be removed. The nurse persuaded her not to go down that route but since then she has had to deal with this.

I understand her desperation, she needs/wants to lose weight. She has paid for this surgery and any further treatment will cost money. She has been told to have it removed; there will be a charge of £10,000. She doesn't have it. She has told herself that this is her life from here on in. No pain, no gain.

I just wish she would listen.

A few months ago she had a major complication which is why I am am shocked she is letting this continue. Her bad was so tight that she almost died and she demanded that it be removed. The nurse persuaded her not to go down that route but since then she has had to deal with this.

I understand her desperation, she needs/wants to lose weight. She has paid for this surgery and any further treatment will cost money. She has been told to have it removed; there will be a charge of £10,000. She doesn't have it. She has told herself that this is her life from here on in. No pain, no gain.

I just wish she would listen.

The fact that she has previously had complications with the band speaks volumes and reinforces what all here have stressed about the need to get back to a healthcare provider.

I assume the reason they didn't want to take the band out then was because it is considered more risky having revision surgery so close to the original surgery. However there is the option of completely deflating the band and allowing the stomach to heal and then revisit the option of removal.

You may also have to accept the there is something more emotional or psychological at play here, and unfortunately all you can do is be the good supportive friend you have been and hope she seeks help very quickly

Back