• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bariatric Christmas cake

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Here is a Christmas cake recipe from Carol Bowen Ball who is the author of "Return to Slender" Bariatric cook book

I have tasted and tested many a low-fat, diabetic and no-added sugar Christmas Cake and been disappointed with many. This is a recipe for a cake that might not be the lowest in fat, sugar and calories but it tastes infinitely better. Since this is a special treat and you’re only likely to eat a finger-sized portion then I think it’s more than acceptable. I tend to eat the cake plain rather than iced but should you want to marzipan and ice for the rest of the family then you’ll need 500g/1lb marzipan and 750g/11/2lbs ready-rolled icing for this size cake. This cake doesn't keep quite as long as the traditional type and should be used within a couple of weeks. I’m planning to decorate mine in the style of the M & S ‘Partridge in a Pear Tree’ cake… it looks so chic!

Ingredients
Metric/US
1 kg/62/3 cups mixed dried fruit
100g/4oz glace or candied cherries, halved
150ml/2/3 cup unsweetened apple juice
175g/3/4 cup light butter
10 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
4 eggs
2 tbsp black treacle/molasses
finely grated zest and juice of 1 small orange
100g/1 cup ground almonds
300g/3 cups all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp ground mixed spice

Method
1. The day before baking the cake, put the dried fruit, cherries and apple juice into a large bowl. (NB: The apple juice could be replaced with brandy or dark rum if liked). Stir well, cover and leave to soak for 24 hours, stirring occasionally.
2. The next day, grease a 20-cm/8-inch round cake tin and line with a double layer of greaseproof paper or baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 150 C/300 F/gas mark 2.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter with the Splenda until light and creamy. Beat in the eggs one at a time then stir in the treacle/molasses. Add the orange zest, juice and ground almonds. Sift in the flour, salt and mixed spice, then fold together using a large metal spoon. Stir in the soaked dried fruit and mix well to combine.
4. Spoon into the prepared cake tin and level with the back of a spoon. Bake in the oven for about 21/4 hours. After 2 hours, cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper or foil to prevent it from cooking too dark. Check if the cake is cooked by inserting a skewer into the centre of the cake…if it comes out free of mixture it is cooked sufficiently. If not, cook for a little longer. Transfer to a wire rack to cool in its tin.
5. Cover with marzipan and icing if liked in the usual way or leave plain. Store in an airtight tin until required.

SERVES 20
WLS PORTION: ¼-1/2

CALORIES PER PORTION PLAIN: 310
PROTEIN: 5.5g
CARBOHYDRATE: 52.8g
FAT: 9.7g

I'm book-marking this Lamornamiss should I ever be in the fortunate position of being the one doing the cooking at Xmas ..... fortunate position you say? ...... well bcos I live in London and am single I am always obliged to travel 100 miles to my family peeps in Dorset, and Xmas is usually at one of my brother's houses.

Even when I was in Devon earlier this year and *thought* I might still be there at Xmas and mooted the possibility of *them* coming to me, my idea got "pooh poohed" as "well there's 11 of us and only one of you" ....... ie so come to us and be done with it.

So I have to go along with whatever food they choose to do ..... and this year will defo NOT be indulging in Xmas cake or mince pies (knowing they will be of the very high sugar variety).

In fact, just to make this the best Xmas ever for me the year I have had bariatric surgery, one of the brothers decided he didn't want to have the hassle of doing the turkey and trimmings himself this year ...... so has organised for us all to have Xmas Lunch in a pub (a good gastro pub) ..... at £59 per head for a 5 course meal !!!!

Fortunately after a leeeetle bit of moaning from me (!) the pub has said they will do a child's portion for me at £15 per head.

But one day ............ one day when I finally meet Mr Right ............... and get to organise my *own* Xmas Lunch the way I want it, I will bring out the Bariatric Xmas Cookery Book thingies !!!!

THANKS !!!!

Back