• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bariatric Christmas pudding recipe

lamornamiss

wants to be a loser
Here is a Christmas pudding recipe from Carol Bowen Ball who is the author of "Return to Slender" Bariatric cook book

Here is the Christmas Pudding recipe that I made on Stir-Up Sunday. It can however be made right up to 2 days before Christmas Day itself and has a lovely rich flavour but fewer calories and a healthier nutritional profile than a traditional one. Serve with low-fat custard, a low-sugar sweet white sauce or low-fat ice cream as liked.

Ingredients
Metric/US
1 large carrot, peeled and grated
125g/4oz soft ready-to-eat prunes, chopped
125g/4oz soft ready-to-eat dried apricots, chopped
300g/2 cups mixed dried fruit
grated zest of 1 orange
grated zest of 1 lemon
100g/4oz low-fat olive oil spread or light butter
3 tbsp Splenda granulated sweetener
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp baking powder
75g/3/4 cup ground almonds
100g/4oz porridge oats
1 tbsp ground mixed spice
200ml/generous 1 cup Guinness stout

Method
1. Grease a 900g/2lb pudding basin or spritz generously with low-fat cooking spray.
2. Mix the carrot with the prunes, apricots, dried fruit, orange and lemon zest. Melt the spread or light butter in a pan over a low heat and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl beat the Splenda with the eggs.
4. Stir the fruit mix into the egg mixture with the spread or butter, almonds, porridge oats, mixed spice and Guinness. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
5. Spoon into the prepared pudding basin, cover with a pleated piece of greaseproof paper or baking parchment and secure with string.
6. Steam for 3-4 hours, ensuring that the pan does not boil dry. Invert onto a serving plate to serve with cream, custard, ice cream or a sweetened white sauce.

SERVES 8
WLS PORTION: ¼-1/2

CALORIES PER PORTION: 375
PROTEIN: 7.3g
CARBOHYDRATE: 58.7g
FAT: 12.7g

Carol's christmas newsletter is great.

Mmm it looks lovely, but my provider says no to dried fruit for banders so I am veering clear of all the lovely Christmas goodies :cry:

I thought I left a comment on this thread about 12 hours ago and it has disappeared "poof" into the cyber wilderness :confused: Hmmmm ..... trying again .....
=================================

I'm book-marking this Lamornamiss should I ever be in the fortunate position of being the one doing the cooking at Xmas ..... fortunate position you say? ...... well bcos I live in London and am single I am always obliged to travel 100 miles to my family peeps in Dorset, and Xmas is usually at one of my brother's houses.

Even when I was in Devon earlier this year and *thought* I might still be there at Xmas and mooted the possibility of *them* coming to me, my idea got "pooh poohed" as "well there's 11 of us and only one of you" ....... ie so come to us and be done with it.

So I have to go along with whatever food they choose to do and this year will defo NOT be indulging in Xmas cake or mince pies (knowing they will be of the very high sugar variety).

In fact, just to make this the best Xmas ever for me the year I have had bariatric surgery, one of the brothers decided he didn't want to have the hassle of doing the turkey and trimmings himself this year ...... so has organised for us all to have Xmas Lunch in a pub (a good gastro pub) ..... at £59 per head for a 5 course meal !!!!

Fortunately after a leeeetle bit of moaning from me (!) the pub has said they will do a child's portion for me at £15 per head.

But one day ............ one day when I finally meet Mr Right ............... and get to organise my *own* Xmas Lunch the way I want it, I will bring out the Bariatric Xmas Cookery Book thingies !!!!

THANKS !!!!

How ya doing hun? Looking good. Never went to Tenerife coz mum went ino hospital but hopefully discharged today. Those books are great. Sign up for her free newletter & blog & on Facebook. She gives lots of free recipes & advice.

How ya doing hun?

I'll reply to you by PM about.

Those books are great. Sign up for her free newletter & blog & on Facebook. She gives lots of free recipes & advice.

I'm not much of a cook (yet) because 99% of the time as a single person it's just 'not worth it' .... and currently living in a houseshare defo not worth time and effort fighting for space in the kitchen .... I am happy sticking to ready meals and soup in a can *most* of the time.

I always *think* that if I eventually met a man / became part of a couple I would take more interest in cooking, if there are 2 (or more) people to cook for it becomes "worth" it.

I did bake one year, back in 1998 the year our Mum died some strange instinctive thing came over me like "it's time to be mother this year" and I did mince pies (of the old sugary non-bariatric version) and all sorts ..... so I know I *can* do it when I bother ..... it's just that *most* of the time as a single person living in cr*ppy accommodation I don't bother.

But have book-marked these recipes for that time (hopefully, eventually!) when do I have my own house / husband / reason to *do* cooking and reason to *want* to feed people and enjoy doing it !!! :D

How ya doing hun? Looking good. Never went to Tenerife coz mum went ino hospital but hopefully discharged today. Those books are great. Sign up for her free newletter & blog & on Facebook. She gives lots of free recipes & advice.

Hi love, how and where do you sign up for the newsletter?x

Thank you very much.x

Ur welcome. She is doing a 12 days of christmas countdown

Ooo lovely I will have a look at that when I get home and on my laptop. Just some new recipes would be good enough, getting bored with the same old thing.x

Back