• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Barium Meal xray and band fill

fatbutnot4eva

Loves her gorgeous family
Hi
When I had my band op on monday they said that I will get an appoitnment for 4 weeks for a fill which will be daone xray and barium meal.
Is this the charcoal drink ? i have a terrible gaging reflex if something i dont like the taste of I just throw up, anything powdered or lumpy (sorry how stupid) haveing liquid paracetamol is driving me mad. I threw it up on monday night as it was lumpy.
it is 4 weeks away and i am dreading it.
can they do anything else i dont want to appear demanding but i know i will be sick.
helen
x

Hi I had my first band fill on Monday and yes it was a chalky kind of liquid but to be honest he only gets you to take a sip and then swallow so he can see how quickly the band is letting it through so I would say I had about 3 mouthfulls. They will give you water to sip too so you should be ok. If you want to know anything else about the band fill just ask matey x

It doesnt taste too bad really, its a bit chalky (think milk of magnesium) and tastes a bit minty. Its not something I would choose to eat lol but its not slimy or lumpy.

I have a really sensitive gag reflex too and cant stand liquid paracetamol (have you tried crushing normal tablets up and having them with yogurt? It tastes grim but beats the liquid paracetamol).

Hope this helps :)

Hi, try not to worry as others have just said its only a sip you have to take, not a big mouth full just to show you and Doctor the amount that goes through the band.

It has an aniseed taste,some have said minty but it is not unpleasant thick or slimy like a smoothie with mint/ainiseed.
You can explain your fears and have a glasss of water ready to follow up as i did.

Honest, don,t fret.I am sure after all you have had with band this is nothing.

reminded me slightly of pernod, and i hate that stuff!! got slaughtered when i was 18 on it, just the smell turns me green!! :yuk: :sign0137:

haha I have a pernod night I remember very well... I wont share it with you lol...............

wish mine had tasted like pernoid lol mine was like milk of magnesia but not horrible so you will be fine I am sure :)

I had my fill done with an xray today as they couldnt find the port originally. It was absolutely fins the white stuff didnt tast of anything much and was certainly not lumpy as I would have gagged on that. I have a real thing about needles and couldnt watch when they were doing it but can honesly say i didnt feel a thing. It was my first fill and I was a bit nervous but wont be in future. The only thing is now its taking me even longer to drink anything. I must say I was really pleased to not feel hungry for the first time in a couple of weeks I had my band on Dec 11th and had got to the point where I could eat for England but the hunger pangs seem to have dissappeared for the time being. Best of luck with it and dont worry
Stevie
x

Back