• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Barium Swallow Results...

A.Positive

After, wretching and being sick through a test that needed to be stopped here is what they saw on the film...

Nothing! There is no surgical reason why I cannot eat which is quite disconcerting. I just want an answer and I want to move on. They say that they will look at my hormone levels now and see if that is the cause. I have another appointment next Friday and they are saying that if I am still not able to drink more than 100ml (daily) of protein shake, then I will be hospitalised and given a feeding tube! I can't deal with that, I can't be away from my children again! How long will that go on for?! I feel pressured now, like I will have to force myself to drink this stuff. They says that I should be drinking that amount in 10-15 minutes! I feel as if they feel I am making the whole thing up (for what reason I don't know).

I am being a baby and I am well aware. I will compose myself momentarily.

Oh hon :( This is an awful situation to be in :(

This must feel like a major head truck(!) for you !
Cant blame you for wanting answers how else are you meant to deal with it and move on
Hoping and wishing that you get answer real soon x

Really hope things don't get too bad where you have to be fed through a feeding tube....such a rough time for you.. wishing you get well soon hun and regain your strength...xxx

Sigh..... you know you can't drink it in the allotted time, I'm afraid you need to prepare yourself for the inevitable. It's 3 nights/4 full days in hospital. It's not tube 'n go. It's a slow build up regime with training from the enteral feeding supply company in your area. I've had two feeding companies in 10 days and they have very different standards of quality, but you can't choose, it's down to your postcode.

It's only been 10 days so my comments are unfair, really unfair. I am so passed off with this I want to run into the middle of a field and bloody scream my head off.

You are then chained to the machine including if you need a wee in the night.

My patience in adjustment is gone, there is just no glossing over the reality of how complicated and pre-planning is needed, I'm planning on naming my tube after my surgeon as I want to STRANGLE him with my bare hands.

And breathe....... in 20 days time maybe it'll be better :(

Thank you everyone.

It isn't the tube that you have ThinnerJ, the dietician said it went through my nose and then into my tummy. But then what? I still can't eat!!

Thinner, I just feel so badly for you. Is there counselling available for you at all? Its just such a huge transition.

I am calmer now though, I just have to stay positive.

Sorry you're both going through such rough times. My similar situation seems a long time ago now, but I know how horrible it feels. Hugs xx

Ah, that's a naso-gastric tube, you only get feed whilst your in hospital as far as I know (and I've not a clue), but as you say, how do you eat the next week and the week after that.

I'm the same as you in your thoughts, there has to be another and better way to simply just be able to eat something.

Back