• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Bypass - Consultant Questions and Answers (Sunderland)

Undecided

Hi All

Here are the questions I asked, and the answers I was given, just in case they are of help to anyone else.

1. What effect does a hiatal hernia have on the procedure, if any ?
None. The hernias are not usually repaired. Once you lose weight, the stomach goes back into place itself.

2. Is it not possible to take vitamin B tablets, rather than in jections.
No, the tablets wouldn't be absorbed as the section of the small bowel that absorbs them has been disconnected. He said that a spray would possibly replace the injection at some point (now apparently being used in the US).

3. How is the bowel attacched back to the stomach ?
Through a mixture of staples and stitches. The stitches dissolve, the staples remain.

4. Why is the duodenum stitched back onto the bowel and not removed ?
The are still needed. He said soemthing about the gallbladder. Sorry conversation veered off so didnt get all of this.

5. If a bypass patient later developed stomach cancer, how would this be detected in the separated part of the stomach ?
Unlikely to happen. The likely causes of cancer have been removed.

6. Can / do you remove the gallbladder at the same time ?
No, this is easier to do once the patient has lost weight.

7. If at a later stage in your life you have to take medications, can they be properly absorbed now that part of the small bowel has been removed ?
This is something that would have to be looked at at the time. The effects may not last as long or be as efficient, However, some can be taken as pessaries.

8. Will you use a catheter during the operation ?
No.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, although for Q1 I was told, and have it written by the consultant that my hernia will be repaired during the bypass.

Are you at Sunderland suzz69uk ? I know other people on here have had theirs repaired, but don't know where they were at. Maybe it depends on the surgeon ? I didnt get chance until today to ask if that would happen. The other consultant meeting I had he just said he would look into it. But I found out today he wasn't one of the bariatric surgeons or consultants anyway. He was another Registrar. Must have just been filling in or something. At what point were you told that ?

There are some interesting questions and answers here . . .

I understood that if one had a hernia it would be repaired during the op.

Vitamin B12 injections are dam painful ! In the US they use ‘drops’. I do not understand the relevance of the Bowel in all this ??

My Gall Bladder was removed without any issue (why have 2 ops!)

I would be surprised if they did not install a catheter.

xx

well sunderland certainly fixed my hernia was having my bypass, i even spoke to mr schroder about it the day after the op so i am very confussed at that answer.

i did ask them to remove my gall bladder due to the fact my father nearly died because of problems with his at the same time as my op and they refused, so im pleased there answers havent changed there.

I didn't have a catheter when I came around from my bypass... it must depend on the surgeon. Personally l don't think b12 injections hurt I have them every 8 weeks. Then again I am one of these they send home with injections just so I can get out the hospital quicker... Would rather stab myself in the tummy every morning rather than a nurse do it lol xxxx

I'm awful with needles but have no problem with the b12, don't find it painful at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Hmm... I dont know then. Can only say what he told me. Maybe they repair if agreed in advance, andmy info wasn't passed on.

My issue wasn't specifically the injections. It was just a concern that you have to rely on something you cant do / get hold of yourself.

My gp surgery have been great with the b12, I have a repeat script set up for 5 vials at a time, they are then stored at the surgery and each time I use the last vial the nurse lets me know. Never any issue with getting them prescribed or administered. I notice a change in myself when I'm due it, generally feel colder and more tired, which then picks up a few days after the jab.

The effects of low b12 can be horrific, including psychosis.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Back