• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gallstones and bypass

mandym1

Hi peeps

I have just had an ultra sound scan on my liver due to abnormal LFT results. The radioligist has just told me I have a gallstone/s! I didn't know I had them and get no pain at all.

I have noticed a lot of people have had their gallbladder removed whilst having a bypass!

Why is this?

M
X

Lots of people get gallstones as a result of rapid weight loss, so many surgeons remove the gallbladder at the same time...while they are in the neighborhood so-to-speak.

i asked my surgeon to remove mine during the op after my father nearly died at christmas due to complications with his, but the surgeon refused. he said it would be better to remove it when i was thinner -

I'm thinking that if I have gallstones now then they should remove my gallbladder when doing the bypass.

This is something I will discuss with my surgeon but I am interested in what everyone else thinks and their experiences.

Is it more likely that my gallstones will worsen after a baypass? I didnt know I had them and have never had any pain from them so would like to keep it that way :sigh:

Mandy i asked Mr Kerrigan and he said he didnt remove gall bladders when doing wls.He said he wont remove a healthy organ for no good reason,see what he says when you see him!Maz x

Thanks Maz I will. I suppose he is right and I will go with whatever he decides.

Did you have gallstones or where you just concerned about developing them?

Hi
I had surgery at Luton on 09/03/11 and had my gallstones removed as well as a gastric bypass and umbilical hernia repair! I am like 'tesco' get one get two free!!!
Janet

I had gastric bypass and gall bladder removed a week ago.
I had gall stones and had had some pain from them quite often so I was pleased that it was removed during the surgery for the bypass.
Lynne x

It all very much depends on the surgeon. I have had gallstones for 20 years, but only have pain very occasionally. My surgeon didn't want to take the gallbladder out when they were doing my bypass, because the tools are not ideally placed to do so with keyhole surgery, he said. And it's apparently safer for me to have this done once I have lost more weight.. so I went with the expert obviously ;-)
Rapid weight loss does increase the risk of gallstones. I am on medication that is supposed to prevent further gallstone formation (Ursofalk Ursodeoxycholic Acid).

Thanks y'all!.

I will let my surgeon do whatever he thinks best.

Back