• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

bypassers and drinking while eating..

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
whats the reason behind us not being allowed to drink 30 mins before and after eating?

I ask because when i eat some foods, even after just one mouthful they dont feel like they are going down well (all pureed) and after eating i need to take a couple of sips of water to feel comfortable and then im fine.

Is that bad?

I know with banders its because it will push more food past the band, but why bypassers? It is just to stop regurtitating (?sp) food?

it will fill the stomach preventing you eating as much as you need, the 30 mins before is to ensure you have enough room in your stomach to take the portion needed to keep your energy levels right, i was told an hour afterwards to give the stomach time to digest the food but everyone's surgeons are different. Introducing fluids straight after a meal washes the meal through and you obsorb less of the nutrients due to the malobsorbtion factor. plus you also feel hungery faster

i was told it makes the food slide out the puch too fast, there for meaning we eat more of it and thus dont loose as much wieght

.x.

Ah thanks for that girls. It just feels like its not going down well, and a couple of sips, and that really is all, just makes me feel more comfortable and it isnt with every meal. I dont suppose it will do me harm, an odd sip of water.

Once you are onto normal food it is important not to even sip directly after eating. By adding water, even a few sips to solid food can cause you to vomit because the solid food can't leave the stomach just yet and the water has to go somewhere. I am sorry if this sounds harsh but at just over a week post-op you don't need to start with bad habits. If purees are not going down well you should probably go back on liquids for a day or two and start fresh. As always, follow your own surgical team's advice over mine.

Nic;)

Thanks girls. Its not every puree, just an odd one, usually if something has meat or fish in - ill try and make them more sloppier in the future. Its just all a learning curve at the moment. But i wouldnt really call a sip of water a bad habit (not having a go, but that phrase makes me feel guilty!! lol).
Im lucky not to have been sick yet, suppose im pushing my luck tho, ill learn!!

Thanks xx

i must admit i have always had the same problem from day one...i have been 'naughty' and sipped fluids with my meals (usually tea as i find cold drinks 'stick' just as badly as the food)...i mentioned it to my surgeon at my follow up appt and he said it was not an ideal situation but my weightloss is good so he has no problem with it. x

Last edited:
Back