• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Calling all Vegetarians?

cherrydrop

I'm am so excited that I will be able to eat things a little more exciting as from next weekend as it will then be four weeks since my sleeve.
I'm keen to continue being as 'good' as I've been so far but I'm a bit stumped for ideas on what I should be eating. Being a veggie makes it a bit trickier as most of the online recipes and advice are for meat eaters.
Any help or ideas please
love
Sandra x

Yippee!!!! Three weeks and 20 lbs down since my surgery

I'd be interested in seeing what people say about this too, as I'm having a sleeve on the 27th and I'm also a vegetarian ... plus I can eat very little fruit (allergic to most of it).

Keep in touch and maybe we can swap recipes a bit further down the line xx

I eat a lot of quorn, bolognaise, chilli, curry, moussaka etc. Since surgery I don't have any rice or pasta tho.

I have just cooked a lovely mixed bean and red pepper stir fry, although I picked at it so much while cooking that I am now not hungry! Hubby has it with sechuan sauce or something, but I just have soy sauce and some spices.

I made bean burgers last night (tins of mixed beans and kidney beans, grated carrot, spring onions, seasoning and an egg all mixed together and baked in the oven).

I tend to make up a 'normal' amount of food, and then freeze in bypass sized portions.

I love making vegetable soup, and as I got further out of surgery I pureed it less and less. Now I separate it into 2 bowls when it is cooked, puree one and mix the chunky veg back in so it is really filling, although it is still a slider food.

Stuffed mushrooms, I usually bung a bit of philadelphia in and stick under the grill.

Tofu is good for you, I like it coated in mustard and cooked on the george foreman with some vegetables, or in a thai curry.

I can't manage eggs like I could pre op, but I can eat quiche, omelette or frittata so I try and have those when I can, and cram them full of vegetables and seem to manage eggs like that fine. The slimming world quiche without pastry is very handy (made with v low fat cottage cheese).

Good luck

Rx

I make quiche
2 eggs
160ml of milk
100g of cheese low fat or normal I use normal taste stuff not the low fat plastic stuff
mushrooms
salt & pepper

mix all together sprinkle cheese on top and throw it in the oven at 180 till just browning on the top Yum.

cut into 1/4

High in protein good for breakfast as well

I'm veggie and eat a lot of hummus, lentil soups, beans stews, n currys, as it's important to maximise the protein intake :):D:D

How do you make your bean stew? :D
I do it in slow cooker, use chick peas, kidney beans and lentils, stock, carrots, potatoes, onions etc n leave it to slow cook.sometimes add chilli for an extra kick:D:DDon't do a recipe soz:D:D

Hi, I'm not a vegetarian but do love beans & pulses.
I start my pureed diet next week & have been cooking in preparation.
I made this, but rather than a stew, I've made it into a dip type consistency.
Crockpot black bean chili recipe.
Ingredients:
· 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
· 6 garlic cloves, minced
· 1 cup chopped onion
· 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
· 1 tablespoon chili powder
· 2 to 3 teaspoons ground cumin
· 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
· 1 bay leaf
· 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes in juice
· 1 tablespoon soy sauce
· 1 1/2 cups water
· 1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
· 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
· 2 cans (16 ounces each) black beans, drained and rinsed
· 2 cans (16 ounces each) beans -- pinto, garbanzo, great northern, kidney beans, etc. -- drained and rinsed
· grated cheese, sour cream, chopped parsley, chopped hard-cooked egg, green onion, or other garnishes
Preparation:
Heat the oil in a skillet and saute the onions, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook 1 minute, then add chili powder and cumin and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
Add this mixture to the slow cooker along with all remaining ingredients except canned beans and garnishes. Stir well and cook on low all day. Stir in canned beans an hour or so before serving.

I had a taster of it and it's delish!

Hi Sandra
Have you got some ideas from this thread?
Do you have a lidl near you? They sell roasted red pepper in jars, I hunted everywhere for them! Asda, sainsburys and Morrisons didn't have them. Those peppers are a great staple to have in, as they are cooked you can add them to loads of different dishes.

My favourite is red pepper and chickpea pate - bung the cooked pepper, a tin of chickpeas, about 3 tablespoons of low fat fromage frais, yogurt or quark, a clove of garlic, salt pepper and whatever spices you want into a blender and blend until smooth. Chill, and eat. Yum.

Don't foret to freeze portions of food that you will be able to eat.

What did you eat before surgery? What sort of things do you like? Being vegetarian doesn't limit what you can eat, it just limits your options for high protein meals.

Keep your dairy up (if you eat it), yogurt, milk, cheese etc as these are a good source of protein. Have you ever used Miso? I have started using it instead of stock in soups as it seems a good protein source.

Hope you have got some ideas.

Rx

Thank you for your wonderful ideas and recipes. I did eat a lot of Quorn products and dairy before the op. I'm just trying to invisage a life without heaps of bread, crisps, rice cheese and chips which I'm sorry to admit were my pre op staples.
I've already noticed a change in my taste buds which is a good thing and will definately be making more use of beans and pulses. Thank you again
love to all
Sandra x

Hi Sandra
I still eat cheese, it's a good source of protein and happens to be one of my favourite foods so it feels like such a treat.

Rx

Back