• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

calories per day at 7 weeks? and malabsorption

sukay

Trying to focus on future
I know this has probably been discussed before

but I am concerned I am eating too many calories - sometimes up to 1000 per day - especially over Christmas.

I know the cals have to drop to give me the best weight loss - and before the op I found it extremely difficult to eat as little as this, so it is bound to work in the long run.

But, have also found, through experimenting, that I am not very sensitive to the foods I believed I would be - so overall have major concerns about the effectiveness of the procedure for me. I also seem to be able to eat more in quantity then I thought i would :(

eeek! Started off asking about cals per day and ended up telling you all my worries lol!!

i dont count callories so im afraid i cant help you there. i cant eat very much so im gratefull for wat i can get down. i know wat you mean about beeing able to eat thingsyou thought you wouldnt be able to though i have found that i can eat a couple of chocs and nibble on a biscuit (not half a pk at a time though just one) its normal food i have problems with ...............kath x

the same with me - junk is fine but now in small quantities instead of huge lol!!

Even bread goes down ok :(

I can eat anything!:eek: I dont lose weight every week but mine comes off usualy in one load at the end of the month somehow:D you have to realise that no matter what! you will only be eating a fraction of nibbles to what you have been used to. I was always told dont deprive yourself of what you like as thats when to trouble starts by getting into bad habbits again by going the full hog. But every now and then I will have a fun bar of some kind (milkyway usualy) just a lil treat now and then shouldnt harm you. and yes I can also tollerate bread but I only have 1 small w.w slice no butter but heaped with some thing like prawns and salad and some low cal mayo. Gail x

I really struggle with this. why would you want to experiment and put the theory to the test.
I probably sound like i have a mighty than though attitude and believe me i dont i just want everyone to get the results out of their bypass that i have.
Ive done that by sticking to the rules no more than 5grams of fat or sugar per 100 grams , no fizzy drinks eating 3 meals a day and no snacking not drinking after meals etc etc.
Do i miss anything NO my tastes have changed compleatly the tought of something sweet really makes me heave, fried food has never really been on the agands for me although i did like the occasional KFC but even that has lost its appeal. I can eat a full range of food that is allowable and have no problem with bread although dont eat it very often.
I have recently had my 12 month check up with the endocrainologist and he was staggered by my results my bloods were excellent heamoglobin 13.2 and never needed a B12 shot as i make sure i eat a varied diet.
I look at my bypass as my second chance at life and really dont want to balls it up. I have never been so happy, fit and active i have always been confident or so i thought but i have such a zest for life these days i dont want to do anything to jepordise it.
sorry if i sound as though im preaching but if yr slipping into bad habits kick them now whilst you can. you may regret it if you dont..
Remember this is a tool to be worked with and like any crafts man its only with the correct use of the tools do you get a work of art!!!!!!

Im sorry but I have to agree with Carole, why would you WANT to eat the wrong things, you put yourself through SURGERY to stop the previous habits and gain control and then let yourself drift into old habits, it just doesnt make sense to me. I used to be the type of person that cheated on diets and if anyone was going to slip back into old habits then it would be me, but I have found myself two months post-op and not wanting to, I know that I could probably get away with naughtier foods etc but I dont want to, so I have gotten myself into the 'head space' of just not doing it and I thank my surgery and new 'tool' for that. I realise that I am quite lucky in the fact that I can think/act like that with food now but seriously, if I can do it then anyone can because I seriously never had any will power pre-op (except on the pre-op diet, never cheated once on that) and again, if I can do it anyone can. You just have to get your head 'in the game' so to speak and not let yourself get into the old bad habits.
As a P.S...at 7 weeks post op I was astounded at how much I could eat, yes it was good foods I was eating but it felt like lots of it and now at just about 9 weeks the amounts have dropped down again and once again my tummy is restricting my amounts more, whether that is just how it happens or I dropped my amounts and my pouch has adjusted I dont know.
Steph xx

Thank you so much for your replies - I am grateful for your comments. :)

I must say that I am not eating all rubbish food - just that I am concerned at the amount I can put in the pouch. It is going to take some getting used to ....

As a P.S...at 7 weeks post op I was astounded at how much I could eat, yes it was good foods I was eating but it felt like lots of it and now at just about 9 weeks the amounts have dropped down again and once again my tummy is restricting my amounts more, whether that is just how it happens or I dropped my amounts and my pouch has adjusted I dont know.
Steph xx

Thanks Stephie - I really hope that this will also apply to me - cos I am astounded at how much my pouch will hold - although I am below 1000 cals per day which would have been impossible for me to stick to pre-op.

I know this has probably been discussed before

but I am concerned I am eating too many calories - sometimes up to 1000 per day - especially over Christmas.

I know the cals have to drop to give me the best weight loss - and before the op I found it extremely difficult to eat as little as this, so it is bound to work in the long run.

But, have also found, through experimenting, that I am not very sensitive to the foods I believed I would be - so overall have major concerns about the effectiveness of the procedure for me. I also seem to be able to eat more in quantity then I thought i would :(

eeek! Started off asking about cals per day and ended up telling you all my worries lol!!
Hiya , Didnt wanna read and run - Good Luck 2 u x x
GoodLuck.jpg

"Do i miss anything NO my tastes have changed compleatly the tought of something sweet really makes me heave"

To be fair, not all people feel like that post op, i still enjoy sweet things, but i also put fruit into that catogry. Just because something has changed for you post op, does not mean it will for everyone. Nobody can doubt your commitment and you amazing losses... but, people who do eat the odd sweet thing or so called "treat" still have good loses.

My aim for this op, was to be able to eat like normal people... and for me that is allowing myself the odd sweet thing or thing slightally higher in fat.

My mother, for example, is a very slim women, who just simply doesnt really enjoy sweet things, i however do, and although since my op, my tollerance for some sweet things has gone way down, some has not changed.

I guess we all had different goals from having the op.

I think its quite natural for people to want to test the limits of anything. It all comes down to personality type.

Please dont take any of this the wrong way, as I really admire your determination and amazing lose.

But for me it was about being happy, and me not allowing myself, what i deem normal food, would not make me happy.

I wish i could have explained this better.

.x.

I can see where people are coming from here, i went privately for my bypass as i didn't meet the criteria. I did this by using my inheritance from my late dad, the last thing i would want to do is waste both his memory and the money it cost. Not to mention putting myself through the actual surgery, but i do believe and will continue to have the occasional treat as i will never eat the amount i did before. I have a good control over how much i can eat and still find 21 weeks post op i need to eat little and often. Weight loss to date is 5 stone 4lbs so it can't be doing too much harm. That said like Carole and Stephie there are a lot of people here who have acheived fantastic success by not breaking any rules, i personally think its an individual choice as to how you want to use the tool you have been given and what you hope to acheive xx

"Do i miss anything NO my tastes have changed compleatly the tought of something sweet really makes me heave"

To be fair, not all people feel like that post op, i still enjoy sweet things, but i also put fruit into that catogry. Just because something has changed for you post op, does not mean it will for everyone. Nobody can doubt your commitment and you amazing losses... but, people who do eat the odd sweet thing or so called "treat" still have good loses.

My aim for this op, was to be able to eat like normal people... and for me that is allowing myself the odd sweet thing or thing slightally higher in fat.

My mother, for example, is a very slim women, who just simply doesnt really enjoy sweet things, i however do, and although since my op, my tollerance for some sweet things has gone way down, some has not changed.

I guess we all had different goals from having the op.

I think its quite natural for people to want to test the limits of anything. It all comes down to personality type.

Please dont take any of this the wrong way, as I really admire your determination and amazing lose.

But for me it was about being happy, and me not allowing myself, what i deem normal food, would not make me happy.

I wish i could have explained this better.

.x.

Nothing taken the wrong way at all and like you say we all have individual experiances.

I suppose one of the determing factors for me to be so strict is the fact that i cant affor to dump because of the job i do. i have sole responcibility for severly disabled children who need constant supervision. so that has also enabled me to steer clear of temptation. But i can honestly say there is nothing i miss.

Hi Sue, I'm just a week ahead of you and like both you and Steph am surprised at the amount of food I can actually eat! This past week particularly I have been sooo hungry, so I do eat more but try hard to make all the right choices and eat healthily. I have the occasional moment when nothing but chocolate will do but I have a tiny piece, usually sugar free, and that will suffice. The risk of dumping is enough to put me off most sweet/sugary/fatty things. That said I am only human and do sometimes crack but again, it's only a tiny nibble of something. That's the rebel inside me dealt with then.

Cuppa xx

i find i can eat more food than i thought, and i know why....normally it's a slider food of some sorts, whether that be mash, minced beef in gravy or whatever, i do find i'm severely restricted if i eat 'dry' turkey or chicken or similar, this bulks up my pouch and can be quite uncomfortable, even with only little amounts, i guess you need to be looking at what you're eating a tad closer

Back